CASH for onboard purchases

Beachgirl676

This is only going to be my 2nd cruise I am still a newbie lol so wondering if you are able to pay cash at the end of the cruise for all onboard purchases??? Last time I used my debit card but I think I would prefer to pay cash if that's an option. Thanks

You can add cash to your Sail & Sign account when you board. Be sure to have enough to cover your gratuities if you did not pre-pay them. You can also add cash while onboard at Guest Services. They aren't going to let you run a tab that you can pay off at the end, though. You will need to pony up the cash in advance (and add to it, if needed) or secure your account with a credit or debit card. Keep in mind, though, that no cruise line recommends using a debit card.

Cash is definitely a better way to go (vs. debit cards). Just put the cash down when you board the ship and it will be used to secure your S&S card. Once you have used the cash you have deposited, you will no longer be able to charge items to your account and must apply more cash before being able to do so.

Alternatively, you can secure your account with a credit card and then go to GS on the last night and pay your balance in cash. They will then not charge your card.

This is only going to be my 2nd cruise I am still a newbie lol so wondering if you are able to pay cash at the end of the cruise for all onboard purchases??? Last time I used my debit card but I think I would prefer to pay cash if that's an option. Thanks

You can use cash for your final bill. Some does it so that their credit card is not put on hold with pending charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also to add what I do is I go to guest services every Morning and pay my bill off in cash. Sometimes if we are gambling Alot that day we will go multiple times and put cash or a carnival gift card on our account to take it back to zero. We put up a credit card though never debit for us.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Forums mobile app

Also to add what I do is I go to guest services every Morning and pay my bill off in cash. Sometimes if we are gambling Alot that day we will go multiple times and put cash or a carnival gift card on our account to take it back to zero. We put up a credit card though never debit for us.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Forums mobile app

That is a wonderful idea!! Thanks for that tip

Thanks everyone I now have a better understanding! I think I will put the card down and then pay my balance in cash at the end. Now my last question.... there is 3 people staying in my room so if I initially put the credit card down for the hold would each person have to individually put a card or does it go by stateroom?

Thanks everyone I now have a better understanding! I think I will put the card down and then pay my balance in cash at the end. Now my last question.... there is 3 people staying in my room so if I initially put the credit card down for the hold would each person have to individually put a card or does it go by stateroom?

When you check in on line at Carnival.com and fill out your information,,, there will be a place for you to put your credit card information for YOU and YOU alone. The other people in you cabin will have to do the same and fill out their own information.

NOTE: Unless, you want to be responsible for someone elses bill, you can give them charging privliges against your card. ****Don't do this, Even if boyfriend, girlfriend, godparent, priest, or mom.****

Depends on how you set up your account. DH and I always share an account (the process the charges to the individual folio numbers, but post them to the joint account), but you can choose to set them all up individually.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When you check in on line at Carnival.com and fill out your information,,, there will be a place for you to put your credit card information for YOU and YOU alone. The other people in you cabin will have to do the same and fill out their own information.

NOTE: Unless, you want to be responsible for someone elses bill, you can give them charging privliges against your card. ****Don't do this, Even if boyfriend, girlfriend, godparent, priest, or mom.****

Great thanks so much for the help! I definitely don't want that:')

Not quite sure what you mean, why? My wife and I use one credit card, no cash, we like the mileage. Why not charge everything and pay it off in cash when you get home. Also what do you mean by YOU and YOU alone. My wife has never filled out one paper for any of our cruises.

Not quite sure what you mean, why? My wife and I use one credit card, no cash, we like the mileage. Why not charge everything and pay it off in cash when you get home. Also what do you mean by YOU and YOU alone. My wife has never filled out one paper for any of our cruises.

You and your wife sharing a credit card is different. The poster is warning about sharing your charging privileges with friends or other family members. That occasionally ends bad.

You and your wife sharing a credit card is different. The poster is warning about sharing your charging privileges with friends or other family members. That occasionally ends bad.

common sense isn't so common is it. :D

If you are a very nice person and allow someone else to charge on your account (other than life partner, and even then sometimes) ,,, you're going to get screwed, and NOT in a good way.

If you put your DEBIT card on your account, 'holds" will still occur..even if you pay in cash at the end. Simply set up a cash account from the get-go....you don't have to put much on it, and if you run low, they will let you know to come and put more cash down. That way, you have NO holds on your checking account....holds can really affect your use of your debit card!

I would not buy ANY of Carnival's non-refundable "cruise cash" or anything else that is 'use it or lose it".....bad deal!

I would not buy ANY of Carnival's non-refundable "cruise cash" or anything else that is 'use it or lose it".....bad deal!

I'll disagree with that statement.

After X number of cruises, I know my on board account is going to be in the $1000 range. I see no reason not to get $500 in CruiseCash, if that's going to reduce my end of cruise obligation from $1000 down to $500

On the other hand, I agree that I would wouldn't want to do the full $1000 as non refundable CruiseCash

After X number of cruises, I know my on board account is going to be in the $1000 range. I see no reason not to get $500 in CruiseCash, if that's going to reduce my end of cruise obligation from $1000 down to $500

On the other hand, I agree that I would wouldn't want to do the full $1000 as non refundable CruiseCash

I agree my on board account is very small. So for me 50 is just plenty I would find a way to use it. I don't put any on my account until a few days before I board.

We have been on 4 cruises over the last 4 years and have always opened our acct with as small amount of cash and once that was used, we added our DEBIT card. In 4 years of doing this, there has never been a hold placed on our card. I'm guessing it's because we opened it with cash.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We have been on 4 cruises over the last 4 years and have always opened our acct with as small amount of cash and once that was used, we added our DEBIT card. In 4 years of doing this, there has never been a hold placed on our card. I'm guessing it's because we opened it with cash.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No it's not because you opened with cash, it's because you have a good customer service from your bank or credit union that issued your Debit card. If the bank or CU ever changes their TOUs concerning test, reservation, or unverified charges you will see a different result using this method, such a a pending charge staying on your account after final billing.

NONE of the cruise lines place an hold, though many use that term in their FAQs, against your debit or credit card. What they generally do is run the card at check-in as a test or reservation charge like a hotel or resort with the ability to charge things to your room payable at final check-out. Since cruises have 2,400 - 5,600 passengers checking out a the same time most things are on "auto-pilot" concerning spending done while there, unless you make changes before a certain cut off point the last morning aboard. Some cruise lines (including Carnival) will run additional test charges or limit verification if on board spending is perceived as heavy, this will be based on previous days average spending times the number of days left on the cruise. Most often the test charge begins with what the auto-gratuities or hotel service charge is for the cabin for the length of the cruise, regardless if you have prepaid this or not. Now it is up to the bank, CU, or financial institution that issued the card to classify this unverified transaction.

Most traditional credit cards though allowed p to 10 business days, will list unverified charge for 3-5 business days as a pending charge then drop it. Some large well established cards companies will even drop the unverified transaction the minute a second unverified charge or limit inquiry comes through from the same vendor. Almost all credit cards drop any pending transaction from an unverified transaction once a final verified transaction from the vendor comes through.

A debit card on the other hand is allowed to keep a unverified pending transaction on an account for up to 10 banking days*, which during certain holiday seasons can translate to 16 calendar days. US banking regulations allow each bank, CU, or prepaid credit card (which is just a different name for a debit card not issued by a bank) to set their own terms within this framework. A good customer service oriented bank will handle things more like a credit card company does, while others will go to the other extreme causing customers headaches because they decide to keep unverified transactions as a pending charge no matter how many there may be from a vendor for the full amount time allowed by regulations, even when a final verified charge is auhorized. For some banks this translates to millions of dollar in revenue from overdraft or account below minimum fees.

THE BEST THING TO DO WHEN DECIDING BETWEEN A DEBIT OR CASH BASED ON BOARD SPENDING ACCOUNT IS TO CALL TO TALK TO A PERSON AT THE BANK, CU, OR ISSUING COMPANY THAT IS FAMILAR WITH WITH RESORT CHARGES PUT ON THERE CARD.

The best way to avoid having any unpleasant financial surprises at the end of a cruise is to prepay as much of your known on board spending ahead of time. So do make sure the you look over your cruise manager to see where you can get ahead of things financially before even boarding. Many things like beverage and internet packages, spa appointments, logo souvenirs, and excursions have price protection that if once on board there is a sale or special price all you need do is go to spa desk, logo store, guest services, or excursion desk to claim the price difference as refundable on board credit.

* Both business and banking days run Monday through Friday, regardless if any office or branch is open or not over the weekend. The difference here is there are only 10 business holidays (some years 9 when the 4th of July or Veterans day falls on a Saturday) while most banks observe 13 holidays. Banks tend to throw days like Good Friday since Easter is always Sunday, observing other date specific ones that ocassional fall on a Sunday by being closed on a Monday, and observing both Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays instead of just the one President's Day. Let's just say banks love 3 day weekends.

Is this Reaganomics? You still spent $1000! Whether it's in Cruise Cash .... credit card ... debit card or cash. WHY bother with a potential of a lose it situation?

They don't take cash.