Does Royal Still Have Formal Nights?

We haven't cruised on Royal Caribbean in a year. I was wondering if Royal still has formal nights or "dress up nights" or some similar nights in which dressier attire is expected most especially on Oasis Class ships.

Yes, Royal still has formal nights, except on Empress.

• 1 month later...

From going through the threads it looks like formal night dress code is not enforced on Oasis. Are Jeans/ Shorts allowed on formal nights in the MDR or is it just that cruisers can choose to wear Khakis/ polos. Also on other nights, what's the dress code which most folks follow in the MDR.

You should feel comfortable wearing what YOU want to wear. If you want to dress formally, by all means do. On formal nights, the Cruise Compass stated that no shorts were allowed in the MDR (unlike, non-formal nights where there was no such "warning"). In September on Adventure, I saw plenty of people dressing up on formal nights.

Royal no longer enforces any dress suggestions. You will see jeans and shorts on both formal and non formal nights.

Just off Oasis and no dress code was enforced at any time. One formal night was Thanksgiving and many people were at dinner in raggedy shorts, torn t shirts and flip flops, wearing ball caps at the table. I have had to accept that my standards are outdated. I choose to go to the Windjammer on formal nights rather than see what will be worn in the dining room. I was also sad to see these same folks have their picture taken with the Captain, feeling not the least uncomfortable to stand next to him, who is in a dress uniform. Just do away with any dress code.

Having your picture taken with the Captain in the dress you described is beyond tacky. JMO

That used to be one place they held the line, but now they have given in. I can't imagine the discussion when they show their photo to family or friends - here we are on formal night, we were on vacation so no one can tell us what to wear, Captain was a little stuffy looking in that fancy outfit

Dress codes are effectively gone, but manners and courtesy should not be. Take your baseball cap off at the table!

Why draw the line at a baseball cap? Anything goes now, the cruise line won't enforce anything.

Why draw the line at a baseball cap? Anything goes now, the cruise line won't enforce anything.

It's not about the cruise line Bob, it's about manners. Which, by the way, have gone by the wayside everywhere.

Bum Phillips, Head Coach of the Houston Oilers from 1975-1980 was famous for his "Ten Gallon" hat. Yet he never wore his hat in the Astrodome, a fully enclosed stadium. When asked why not he said his Mother taught him it was disrespectful to wear a hat indoors. When it was pointed out that it was a stadium, he said "Mama always said that if it can't rain on you, you're indoors,"

It's not about the cruise line Bob, it's about manners. Which, by the way, have gone by the wayside everywhere.

Bum Phillips, Head Coach of the Houston Oilers from 1975-1980 was famous for his "Ten Gallon" hat. Yet he never wore his hat in the Astrodome, a fully enclosed stadium. When asked why not he said his Mother taught him it was disrespectful to wear a hat indoors. When it was pointed out that it was a stadium, he said "Mama always said that if it can't rain on you, you're indoors,"

All I'm saying is that if the cruise line doesn't enforce anything, dress will continue to get more and more casual.

Edited by Host Clarea

I was actually quite surprised in my recent Allure cruise that so many people did get dressed up for

formal night. I wore a cocktail dress and DH wore black slacks and a button down shirt and we were under dressed compared to many. I definitely saw less shirts and jeans than I usually see on formal nights and more gowns and tuxes than I have seen in quite a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Regardless of the number of people who will not "respect" formal night, the majority still will. It is unfortunate the simple task of changing out of your grunge clothes is such a pain, but options on the ship, fit that style.

As long as formal night exists, I will "respect" the evening and my fellow cruisers by wearing appropriate attire or, go to a specialty restaurant or buffet that evening.

Having your picture taken with the Captain in the dress you described is beyond tacky. JMO

Agreed, I would be embarrassed to do that. It would also ruin the picture imo.

Dress codes are effectively gone, but manners and courtesy should not be. Take your baseball cap off at the table!

That's the problem, I don't think a lot of parents teach manners like ours did. Either that or they just don't have any respect for themselves or others.

I've always felt that it was odd that what people wear is a matter of manners. Live and let live. Short hair, long hair, bald or a baseball cap. WHY should that matter to me? Too many people worrying about anyone other than themselves. If the clothes are clean (and therefore not affecting me with an odor) it's not really my business. Personally I think it's rude and poor manners to comment on someone else's appearance.

I've always felt that it was odd that what people wear is a matter of manners. Live and let live. Short hair, long hair, bald or a baseball cap. WHY should that matter to me? Too many people worrying about anyone other than themselves. If the clothes are clean (and therefore not affecting me with an odor) it's not really my business. Personally I think it's rude and poor manners to comment on someone else's appearance.

And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"

So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why

He said "You look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do"

So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"

Whoa-oh-oh

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign

Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind

Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

And the sign said anybody caught trespassin' would be shot on sight

So I jumped on the fence and-a yelled at the house

"Hey! What gives you the right?"

"To put up a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in"

"If God was here he'd tell you to your face, man, you're some kinda sinner"

Blockin' out…

Now, hey you, mister, can't you read?

You've got to have a shirt and tie to get a seat

You can't even watch, no you can't eat

You ain't supposed to be here

The sign said you got to have a membership card to get inside

Ugh!

And the sign said, "Everybody welcome. Come in, kneel down and pray"

But when they passed around the plate at the end of it all

I didn't have a penny to pay

So I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign

I said, "Thank you, Lord, for thinkin' 'bout me. I'm alive and doin' fine"

Wooo!

Sign

Sign, sign

Last three RC cruises I would say most dressed up some, especially the women. Most men had nice pair of pants and nice shirt minimum. Yes a few had shorts but nicer shorts and nice shirt but I would say more had a suit or tux than actually wore shorts..

My first cruise with RC I had a nice shirt and shorts had no issues, I didn't know their was formal night on a 3 day cruise. I now bring a nice shirt, tie, pants, shoes and a nice hat. It feels nice to dress up once in a while, it always is a decent temp in the dining room so you do not sweat.

I have no issue with someone wearing nice shorts but swim suits or sports type shorts not on formal night. Packing can be rough now adays and so limited unless checking luggage especially when you bring wine.. LOL

After about 50 cruises we have noticed a trend to dress down, and be more comfortable. I'm all for that. Can got to most local places with a nice pair of slacks and a nice shirt....NO MORE TIES FOR ME....especially in the hot Caribbean environment...Yippie.