Internet Reliability-Online Courses

For people who have been on a Carnival Cruise lately and purchased an internet package, how has the connection been?

I will be on the Splendor (Mexican Rivera) in February and will be teaching a course using Brightspace. I need to check my email and discussions at least once a day (probably about an hour per day). Will the internet hold up well enough to be able to commit to this?

There shouldn't be any multi-media required during the cruise (Skype, Adobe connect, etc).

Thanks!

Hi! I am taking my MBA online and used the internet on the Magic during a class last January and did not have a problem with email and discussion boards, but that could vary from ship to ship. I did not need any video or multimedia at that time either...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Internet service aboard ships at sea is usually delivered via satellite. Internet service via communication birds are largely pointed towards land. What spills over the edge is not always the most robust signal, and marine safety and navigation takes priority. Carnival promises to install new equipment to increase the internet speed in the near future. They are establishing a service called MedallionNet to deliver high speed internet without regard to ship position, weather, or seasons. The service uses both GEO and MEO constellations to provide what Carnival calls GuestCentricity or giving guests what they want when they want it. In that line I am petitioning for 24/7 service at Guy's burgers and Serenity Deck Jacuzzi pools. Can I hear an "Aye Aye?"

DH always starts out with the middle package, then has to upgrade to the highest one. He runs heavy document (w/PDF) files, no videos. FWIW DH had better luck on our HI cruise than the Mexican Riviera cruise, both on the Miracle months apart. HI was the first cruise, MR a few months later.

There are repeaters all over the ship. Square white boxes attached to the ceiling, usually with a green light.

Internet service aboard ships at sea is usually delivered via satellite. Internet service via communication birds are largely pointed towards land. What spills over the edge is not always the most robust signal, and marine safety and navigation takes priority. Carnival promises to install new equipment to increase the internet speed in the near future. They are establishing a service called MedallionNet to deliver high speed internet without regard to ship position, weather, or seasons. The service uses both GEO and MEO constellations to provide what Carnival calls GuestCentricity or giving guests what they want when they want it. In that line I am petitioning for 24/7 service at Guy's burgers and Serenity Deck Jacuzzi pools. Can I hear an "Aye Aye?"

Aye Aye!

Varies from ship to ship but slow a lot of the time it seems and I for one would not depend on the availability at any given time. Might want to have plan B in order just in case (ie: someone substitute or take over for you for some of the time as back up?). I would not want to worry about it (and I would worry every day that I could not meet my obligations) on vacation truthfully.

I find that when buying Carnival's premium internet package, the quality just simply sucks. most of the time I can check email and surf a few web pages, but the premium does not allow me to stream any type of video at all. And, Carnival has the audacity to call it Premium internet. I call it GARBAGE internet, especially with their outlandish pricing!

My experiences on Royal Caribbean ships have been that their internet is vastly superior to Carnivals and I can actually stream video or watch TV with their internet service.There are occasional when Royals Wifi goes out, but not nearly as often as Carnivals.

I hope one of the comments above really does indicate that Carnival plans to upgrade the current garbage internet they currently offer.

I have used the middle package for online classes on a variety of ships on different itineraries. I never had a day where I couldn't connect. It has been very very slow at times, especially in the 6pm-10pm time, so I made sure to do my work early in the day...no problems. Forums and emails are best. I was able to live text chat with the class a few times. File uploads best done very early or very late. The few times I had something really big like a slideshow to send, I did it onshore at a free wi-fi place, but I am very familiar with the ports and knew right where to go.

I feel sad for you guys having to work/study while on vacation.

I didn't know that I was going to be in school when I booked the cruise but I'd rather be studying on the ship/beach than at home in February:D. After February I can plan our vacations around school breaks.

I feel sad for you guys having to work/study while on vacation.

Glass half full for us. Without internet DH would rarely go on vacation. He works less onboard than at home. 1 hour v 18 hours.

Thanks for all the responses! I think I'll be okay, and I can always hop on the wifi on my port days if necessary.

Although I would prefer to not have to work while on the cruise, it's only going to be about an hour a day (I'll do the rest during travel time at the airport and on my flights from the east coast). Teaching pays for me to cruise, so if I don't teach, I don't cruise!

I find that when buying Carnival's premium internet package, the quality just simply sucks. most of the time I can check email and surf a few web pages, but the premium does not allow me to stream any type of video at all. And, Carnival has the audacity to call it Premium internet. I call it GARBAGE internet, especially with their outlandish pricing!

My experiences on Royal Caribbean ships have been that their internet is vastly superior to Carnivals and I can actually stream video or watch TV with their internet service.There are occasional when Royals Wifi goes out, but not nearly as often as Carnivals.

I hope one of the comments above really does indicate that Carnival plans to upgrade the current garbage internet they currently offer.

Simple solution--don't cruise Carnival.

End of problem.

I agree with this. Some ships are fine, others not so much. I had an assignment due while I was on the Valor last October. I actually got off the ship in Nassau to find Wi-Fi because the ship's internet was so slow. It was better on the Triumph and the Vista.

I've had times when the internet was beyond slow and quite often I couldn't even log on.

It's hit and miss on any ship. IMHO.