Princess "Pricing CON"

Michael Hague

The OP would lose the deposit if they cancel, that could be a significant amount of money with so many people travelling.

This far in advance they would not have lost the deposit. Besides, it sounds like it wasn't even initially booked since the agent walked away and had lunch first. To be quite honest, I blame the agent, not the cruise line. They have the ability to change pricing at any time, I've seen it happen quite often with other cruise lines as well.

If she quoted that price, should could have HELD that cruise and then entered all the information when she returned from lunch break. Heck, you can hold a cruise yourself on Princess website for 3 days before paying a deposit. I've done that many times while price checking with other agents.

Things are indeed very different in the UK. Deposits are not refundable; if the price falls then "tough luck", etc.

And as prices change so quickly I (almost) always book cruises directly with the cruise line. The price difference or additional onboard credit etc. that travel agents offer is usually something between zero and zero; it's now quite rare that a travel agent can offer a better price.

To the OP: your travel agent knows that prices can change quickly; the fact that you didn't get the booking at the quoted price is in my opinion their fault for not completing the booking before the agent went for lunch. The agent didn't "work hard", if they had done so you'd have got the cruise at the quoted price.

VP

Edited by Vampire Parrot

Hi Pam I partly agree but when a cruise line commits to a sale offer it should stick with throughout the campaign which was for 8 days but changed after 3 thanks for your kind comments
Mike, just like any promotional pricing at a store, it’s based on limited availability as long as supplies last which on a cruise line means it’s based on capacity and availability. No different. While a store might honor a price based on receiving future shipments, on a ship, once a cabin is booked, it’s out of inventory.

Yes, your travel agent is fully to blame for this one. Unless you want to blame yourself, that is. She had all your information and had the cabin, why didn't she spend the minute or two to put the sale through? I know it doesn't take long to secure the sale, because I do it myself on princess.com.

Blaming Princess for this isn't quite logical, since it was her failure to place the booking that lost you the price. Whenever you see a great deal complete the checkout process as fast as you can! Whether a cruise or anything else.

OP is from the UK, deposits are non refundable there.

Sent from my iPhone while I should be working, using Forums

Sorry, I didn’t pick that up. However, if the travel agent didn’t get around to booking with the promo and called to say the price was different prior to taking the deposit, which should have been the case since it wasn’t booked at the time OP first called them there shouldn’t have been a deposit paid unless OP agreed to the new cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, your travel agent is fully to blame for this one. Unless you want to blame yourself, that is. She had all your information and had the cabin, why didn't she spend the minute or two to put the sale through? I know it doesn't take long to secure the sale, because I do it myself on princess.com.

Blaming Princess for this isn't quite logical, since it was her failure to place the booking that lost you the price. Whenever you see a great deal complete the checkout process as fast as you can! Whether a cruise or anything else.

I totally agree. Blame the TA it would have only taken her 5 minutes to finish the booking.

Tony

I am also in the camp that the TA is fully to blame. I would have asked her if she put a hold on the booking before she went to lunch. It's a hard lesson to learn and really unfortunate that it happened in the first place. You were very nice and accommodating. And you believed that everything would be the same later. However, logic should have said that at the very least, those rooms could be booked by someone else at any minute and no longer there an hour later.

So, as much as you want to blame Princess and hold them accountable, it's not right or fair.

On the other hand, it will cost you more, but you will be on the cruise you wanted and the children will be happy. What price is that worth???? - because as you said, they want that ship, that cruise and wouldn't be happy with a substitute. Life is short. Holding anger towards Princess and expecting them correct your TA's mistake will ruin the cruise for you and may just taint everyone else you're traveling with.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the UK Camp and Princess/Carnival are to blame for not offering UK cruisers the

same arrangements and perks that US Cruisers get. There are supposedly some advantages for the UK system but no-one has ever come back and stated exactly what they are> In addition I see that Non Refundable deposits are being introduced in the US and this will spread to all lines. Think it is because they have eventually twigged that

cruisers are booking many cruises and then only as last payment day arrives deciding which to go on - swamping the market with unsold cabins.

Unless more brits complain every time they see a discriminatory practice it will not change.