Tips on cruising with young kids on RCL?

Check on the family boards for more information.

More information would be helpful, including ages of the kids. RC has an excellent program for kids, divided into age groups.

Also, what ship/ships are you considering. They are not all the same in terms of activities. The larger the ship, the more there is to do. One of the major considerations might be pools - some have baby splash areas; otherwise kids do have to be toilet trained.

We have 4 (kids) and our first cruise had our youngest at 8. The two younger love Adventure Ocean. Our 10yo (now 12) loves the (limited) Freedom that she gets.

The two older 13 and 15 (now 15 and 17) loved the teen hangout.

We made it a point to have dinner every night as a family. With yours being younger it might be worth it to pay for child care for a night or two so you can have a date night.

On the Freedom class ships they have family oceanviews that sleep 6. On the 8th floor they have 2 bedroom FO's for the same price as the regular Family Oceanviews. They are usually a great deal. You can search for 8200 or 8500 on Freedom class ships for more info.

Mini Golf, Ice Skating, Movies, Parades, Dreamworks and of course swimming is a given.

If you can talk the grandparents into coming it opens a whole new world of cruising!

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ok a more specific question - our youngest will be nearly 2 and 3 when we cruise - on Liberty. Are ALL pools diaper free? Not even swim diapers? The will be 3 year old MAY be potty trained by then, I hope!

There is one section of the kiddie pool area for children in swim diapers. That is the only place were swim diapers are allowed.

Adventure Ocean (AO)...

AO is an adult supervised kids area, no extra charge during normal hours (something like 9am to noon and 1pm to 5pm), and I think each evening from 7pm to 10pm, but I'm not sure on that.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/conten...scriminators=2

On Sunday when you board, after getting lunch and dropping your carry-on bags off in the cabin, go to AO and check-in your age-3 and older kids.

Any adult who needs sign-in and sign-out privileges should go with you.

Under age 3, I'm not sure if there is a charge, but I believe one of you needs to be present always.

However, it is nice to tip the AO staff something on Saturday afternoon -- $10 per child is about right.

I suggest letting the child personally had $10 to the staff, with your supervision of course.

For an extra charge, you can have after-hours baby sitting services for the kids -- nice if you want to stay up late at one of the ship's clubs.

There is a mini-golf course on deck 13 at the front of the ship -- get to deck 12 (can use elevators) and take some stairs near the front to deck 13. Kids and adult like this. It is very windy on sea days. There are also some big pool slides at the back of the ship -- not sure the age requirements for using these. And there is free public ice skating in Studio B (deck 3) at selected times, include free helmets and ice skates -- I'm not sure of the age requirements for this either.

We started cruising when our kids where 6 and 4. We waited until they where potty trained so we could take advantage of adventure ocean. That made our vacations a actual vacation not home on the road. We would eat breakfast together, check them into AO and then have a few hours of adult time. Then eat lunch and either nap or activity before dinner.

We always eat early dinners and allow them to have electronic babysitters at the table.....ie I pads. That is normally a no no in our house but since cruise dinners are long its a way to keep them occupied. We also allow them to try any food they want to.

Since we enjoy shows we would take them but sit all the way in the back by the isle so if necessary we could leave without disturbing other people. Generally they slept thru the shows.

We would always book ships with Pullmans so each child has their own bed. with a family of 5 the Family Ocean View on Freedom is wonderful we got it once but generally you need to be a family of 5.

Now that the kids are bigger and most new ships don't have Pullmans in balcony rooms. We book 2 connecting cabins that way we have 2 bathrooms.

When the kids where little I would pack their outfits in separate zip lock bags. Everything from accessories to underwear in 1 bag. So it was easy to get them ready and everything was all there. Now that they pack themselves they always joke ask for me to zip lock their outfits and whine about how much easier it was when mom made all the outfit bags up. Actually on our last cruise my DD 15 did a few bags for her clothing and accessories all together.

I have a early riser like me and we get up and get out walking around the empty ship and watch the sunrise. They generally serve "pre breakfast" at the café promenade. Just coffee and a few pastries but its great way to start your day.

There is also a nice kidszone water park on deck 11 between the main pool and the buffet area.

Your kids will probably spend a lot of time there.

I think potty trained is still required for this -- not sure of age requirements if any.

(The youtube video switches to the flowrider and slides on deck 13 aft at 6:24).

There is also a nice kidszone water park on deck 11 between the main pool and the buffet area.

Your kids will probably spend a lot of time there.

I think potty trained is still required for this -- not sure of age requirements if any.

(The youtube video switches to the flowrider and slides on deck 13 aft at 6:24).

But this area is just for potty trained kids.