Waiver for underage drinkers?

Megan_Strick

Check out the death rate for teens when it went to 18 nationally in the 70’s (all for the same reasons you mentioned). More than doubled.

Yup!

Carnival started out allowing 18 year olds drinking privileges. As a remarkably intelligent 18 yr old I stepped foot on the Carnival Mardi Gras for my 1976 HS graduation celebration at that age. I'm somewhat wiser now...

I like the voter, military service, marriage comments, but they all are irrelevant as this is a private company operating on a set of policies molded on past behavior and risk reduction.

Carnival does not allow those under 21 to drink alcohol, even on European or Mediterranean sailings.

Also the waiver mentioned for NCL only covers beer and wine by the glass and it is not an option offered on all itineraries. The parent or legal guardian whom must be on the same sailing, may need paperwork to prove relationship or legal custody, as a casual guardian or chaperon can not legally assume the medically or financial liability clause the waiver. The waiver, when allowed, is only available at the Customer Service desk and subject to possible security review.

I was on the Breakaway March 2017 and my son was 20 years old at the time. They definitely let us sign a waiver for him to drink beer and wine. Then I asked to pay the service charge and they issued him the Caps & Corks all you can drink package. I think we paid around $99 for the service charge. So it definitely was not "by the glass". They even printed him a new Sail & Sign card with the alcohol package on it.

I was on the Breakaway March 2017 and my son was 20 years old at the time. They definitely let us sign a waiver for him to drink beer and wine. Then I asked to pay the service charge and they issued him the Caps & Corks all you can drink package. I think we paid around $99 for the service charge. So it definitely was not "by the glass". They even printed him a new Sail & Sign card with the alcohol package on it.

I am shocked that NCL would be motivated by money, to offset corporate polices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am shocked that NCL would be motivated by money, to offset corporate polices.

NCL's "Caps N Corks" package only includes Beer and Wine. If they were motivated by money they wouldn't allow the upgrade. After all the upgrade from soda package to Caps and Corks as stated is only $99.00 for the entire cruise. NCL would make lots more money selling wine and beer at regular prices by the glass and bottle then all you can drink for 99 bucks .

NCL's "Caps N Corks" package only includes Beer and Wine. If they were motivated by money they wouldn't allow the upgrade. After all the upgrade from soda package to Caps and Corks as stated is only $99.00 for the entire cruise. NCL would make lots more money selling wine and beer at regular prices by the glass and bottle then all you can drink for 99 bucks .

So they get a kudo for nickel and diming at a lesser rate?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So they get a kudo for nickel and diming at a lesser rate?

LOL.. I cruise Carnival and NCL all the time. You are correct. NCL is definitely the King of Nickle and Diming..However, by the looks of all the pay food options available on my upcoming Horizon cruise, Carnival is not allowing NCL to have all that fun by them self !

LOL.. I cruise Carnival and NCL all the time. You are correct. NCL is definitely the King of Nickle and Diming..However, by the looks of all the pay food options available on my upcoming Horizon cruise, Carnival is not allowing NCL to have all that fun by them self !

At some point you they all end up doing the same thing. Hopefully we will not see a go kart track on a Carnival ship for a while.

Yep. Paying 14 pp pd for the drink package on NCL is such a rip off compared to the 50ish pp pd on carnival.

Yep. Paying 14 pp pd for the drink package on NCL is such a rip off compared to the 50ish pp pd on carnival.

The Ultimate Beverage Package (ages 21 & older) Enjoy a wide selection of soft drinks, beers, spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $15 USD during your entire cruise. Prepaid @$89.00 USDper person per day x Cruise Days plus 20% gratuity and beverage service charge.

Cruise Beverage Packages | Bon Voyage Gifts | Norwegian Cruise ...

The Ultimate Beverage Package (ages 21 & older) Enjoy a wide selection of soft drinks, beers, spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $15 USD during your entire cruise. Prepaid @$89.00 USDper person per day x Cruise Days plus 20% gratuity and beverage service charge.

Cruise Beverage Packages | Bon Voyage Gifts | Norwegian Cruise ...

The PP was talking about what you pay in gratuities if you select the UBP as a "free" perk (and it's actually $17.80 pp/pd, the PP forgot some nickels ;)). Of course you are paying more than that in your fare, but you can't see how much was added for all of the "free" perks. (And shortly after they started with the "free" packages they started raising the price of the UBP to it's current rate of $89pp/pd in order to increase the amount of gratuities they can collect, which was also raised to 20%. It also looks better in the marketing.)

:):) Sorry guys I grew up in NYC and was able to drink at the age of 18 and guess what I'm still here at age 78. It did not kill me. One more point at age 18 you can fight and die for our country but you can't drink beer? Let get off it and be real for a change enough of the PC.:rolleyes:

I was a medic in Vietnam in 1969 (with the Infantry) and when I got back from that hell hole I tried to buy a 6-pack of beer. Denied! When I told the clerk I had just return from VN he said sorry but welcomed me back home. I'm kind of conflicted about this. I've seen too many people below 21 acting stupid (it's required) and can see a bunch of kids deciding to do a swan dive off the ship. On the other hand, a kid who has spent time in a war zone is mature beyond his years.

I was a medic in Vietnam in 1969 (with the Infantry) and when I got back from that hell hole I tried to buy a 6-pack of beer. Denied! When I told the clerk I had just return from VN he said sorry but welcomed me back home. I'm kind of conflicted about this. I've seen too many people below 21 acting stupid (it's required) and can see a bunch of kids deciding to do a swan dive off the ship. On the other hand, a kid who has spent time in a war zone is mature beyond his years.

Kind of depends on the individual, I've seen many people over 21 (and way over 21) not acting right and definitely not able to control their alcohol.

Hummm, the military must have change this rule, because back in the 70's when I was in the USMC, I was able to drink at age 18 in all of the bars on base.

back in the 70s the drinking age was 18 for most states anyway. The drinking age wasn't raised to 21 nationally until 1985 or so.

The PP was talking about what you pay in gratuities if you select the UBP as a "free" perk (and it's actually $17.80 pp/pd, the PP forgot some nickels ;)). Of course you are paying more than that in your fare, but you can't see how much was added for all of the "free" perks. (And shortly after they started with the "free" packages they started raising the price of the UBP to it's current rate of $89pp/pd in order to increase the amount of gratuities they can collect, which was also raised to 20%. It also looks better in the marketing.)

The last time I cruised NCL it was 14 pp pd. And no, a non-perk rate is not always available. Generally that is the rate for guarantee cabins so those of us who are willing to pay the premium to pick our cabin get a perk thrown it. Is carnival going to throw in a ‘perk’ if I don’t want to book a guarantee room?

back in the 70s the drinking age was 18 for most states anyway. The drinking age wasn't raised to 21 nationally until 1985 or so.

From the internet so must be true...

This was repealed with the passing of the 21st Amendment in 1933, which was followed by the adoption of minimum legal drinking age policies in all states, with most states electing a minimum legal drinking age (MLDA) of 21. Between 1970 and 1975, 29 states lowered the MLDA from 21 to 18, 19, or 20.

From the internet so must be true...

This was repealed with the passing of the 21st Amendment in 1933, which was followed by the adoption of minimum legal drinking age policies in all states, with most states electing a minimum legal drinking age (MLDA) of 21. Between 1970 and 1975, 29 states lowered the MLDA from 21 to 18, 19, or 20.

Drinking age in Texas when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's was 18. The Republic of Texas raised the drinking age to 21 in 1986 , mostly because the Federal govt cut highway funding to states that kept their legal drinking age below 21.

Ironically, drinking age on Federal reservations (i.e. military bases) was 18 until well into the 90's...I was a beneficiary of that largess!