Questions (re: Elite/Gold check in and Regal aft cabin)

lilfish7

We're cruising in January on the Regal with my parents, and Bro/SIL. My parents are Elite (several per year), but it's been about 6 years since they've cruised with us commoners (gold level). :D We're planners and over thinkers, and while discussing he brought up a point that we haven't been able to find an answer to here on the Internets! (We'll call Princess and/or our TA if necessary, but figured I'd ask here in case someone else has experience.)

Apparently being Elite, they have a special check in area (preferred boarding?). Since we're travelling together, would the 4 of us gold level folks be able to go with them to check in? I'm assuming we'll have to wait in the main check in line, but would love to know for sure prior to our trip. We're all adults, so it's not like we have to stay together, but it would be nice.

Also, we're staying in E731, 730, 733 and it just occurred to us that it's above the Vista lounge. I'm not sure how my over-thinker of a father missed that information, but alas he did. He chose these cabins specifically since they're "deluxe", aft, bigger etc. Most of the time we will be out late, but there might be days that we may want to crash earlier (and I'm sure my parents may want to go to bed earlier than us). How loud should we expect the noise level to be from the lounge/band area? Too loud to sleep? Any noise super early in the morning (assuming no, but ya never know)? Other potential "issues" we may have with these cabins?

Thanks in advance!

There will be a separate check-in line for Elite and Suite passengers (and another for Platinum).

If you arrive before boarding has started there is also a separate seating area for Elite and Suite, which at Port Everglades tends to be well enforced (no friends/family not in the same cabin as the Elites).

"Priority boarding" is a bit of a misnomer, beyond the fact that the cabin with Elites will be assigned a lower number boarding group than the other cabins--but again only an issue if you arrive before boarding has started.

I haven't been on the Royal/Regal yet but it appears your cabins are under the dance floor rather than the bandstand; perhaps someone who knows exactly where the bandstand sits will let you know. Likely any activity in the Lounge will be over by 11:30 at the latest.

There will be a separate check-in line for Elite and Suite passengers (and another for Platinum).

If you arrive before boarding has started there is also a separate seating area for Elite and Suite, which at Port Everglades tends to be well enforced (no friends/family not in the same cabin as the Elites).

"Priority boarding" is a bit of a misnomer, beyond the fact that the cabin with Elites will be assigned a lower number boarding group than the other cabins--but again only an issue if you arrive before boarding has started.

I haven't been on the Royal/Regal yet but it appears your cabins are under the dance floor rather than the bandstand; perhaps someone who knows exactly where the bandstand sits will let you know. Likely any activity in the Lounge will be over by 11:30 at the latest.

That is what we assumed, but wanted to check to be sure. I may have to talk him into upgrading us to a suite...HA! Thanks for the reply!

You might be able to use the Elite check in line with your parents. Your parents are welcome to JOIN YOU in the "common" area to board together or they (alone) may wait in the "Elite" boarding area and board earlier (Suites/Elite, Platinum), then "commoners". I am not trying to be elitist...but re-using the terms you used in your OP.

There are usually literally hundreds of Elite and Platinum passengers with “Priority” boarding. Imagine if even some of them bought 2-3x as many people with them? Often, there isn’t enough seating for those who have earned this perk and even then, boarding is sometimes in groups based on when you checked in because there are so many with Priority.

You can ask if you can Board with them but don’t be disappointed if you’re told you can’t. They are always welcome to join you in general boarding if you feel strongly about boarding together.

You might be able to use the Elite check in line with your parents. Your parents are welcome to JOIN YOU in the "common" area to board together or they (alone) may wait in the "Elite" boarding area and board earlier (Suites/Elite, Platinum), then "commoners". I am not trying to be elitist...but re-using the terms you used in your OP.

I was being sarcastic with the commoners term! :)

I'm sure they'll either join us in the main area, or board and join us later. It just didn't occur to us until we were talking about our plans that we would have separate check in areas (it's been 6 years since we've cruised together and I'm not sure they were Elite then). Worth a shot asking!

There are usually literally hundreds of Elite and Platinum passengers with “Priority” boarding. Imagine if even some of them bought 2-3x as many people with them? Often, there isn’t enough seating for those who have earned this perk and even then, boarding is sometimes in groups based on when you checked in because there are so many with Priority.

You can ask if you can Board with them but don’t be disappointed if you’re told you can’t. They are always welcome to join you in general boarding if you feel strongly about boarding together.

You're right! I'd hate to "take away" a perk someone else has earned, so we'll just use the main gate (and will not be disappointed b/c a) I'm about to cruise and b) I know I didn't earn the "privilege" of priority yet)! It doesn't hurt asking though, right?!

I guess my husband and I need to up our cruising game and become Platinum/Elite ourselves! ;) One day!

Thank you!

I'm sure they'll either join us in the main area, or board and join us later. It just didn't occur to us until we were talking about our plans that we would have separate check in areas (it's been 6 years since we've cruised together and I'm not sure they were Elite then). Worth a shot asking!

I have been told that I don't do sarcasm well. I did not mean to offend you.

At least you have a goal....I enjoyed the journey to Elite. I never worked so hard in my life AND found such pleasure in the path.

We are Elite tier on Princess cruises but find that the lines are always longer for the priority embarkation at Fort Lauderdale. We are going to use the ordinary check in next time in December.

"Also, we're staying in E731, 730, 733 and it just occurred to us that it's above the Vista lounge."

You could hear some noise. Your cabins are just above the Vista Lounge stage area. During daytime there will be events like bingo, art sales and trivia. In the evening there will be shows like comics and singers the latest one usually starting around 10:30pm. This is also where the Captain's Circle events are held, but they are usually in the early evening hours starting around 5pm. The lounge is not really used as a dance venue where you have a band playing all evening.

"Also, we're staying in E731, 730, 733 and it just occurred to us that it's above the Vista lounge."

You could hear some noise. Your cabins are just above the Vista Lounge stage area. During daytime there will be events like bingo, art sales and trivia. In the evening there will be shows like comics and singers the latest one usually starting around 10:30pm. This is also where the Captain's Circle events are held, but they are usually in the early evening hours starting around 5pm. The lounge is not really used as a dance venue where you have a band playing all evening.

This is very helpful! Thank you!

The check-in area is in the same place on ground level (assuming Terminal 2 which is the usual situation, and depends on number of Princess ships in Port Everglades - BUT.. Regal should have #2). There is separate line or two for priority check-in which occurs after you go through security scanning just after entering the building.

After check-in, Elite and Suite can go immediately upstairs to their own room. Of course, this area may eventually overflow, depending on the number on that cruise that arrive early. Platinums are seated in a special section downstairs and the so-called "commoners" are seated in various other organized sections. This is what happens in the early part of check-in.

Eventually, Platinums are allowed upstairs into a general seating area, again in order of arrival. This happens until that area is full up and then everyone else remains downstairs. You can see where the Elites and Suites are at this point. Upstairs is on the gangway level to the ship. Think of it similar to Disney where you move through staging areas to get to the main event. But not quite as interesting, until you get upstairs and see those gangways.

When boarding commences, the Suites and Elites are led out of their holding room and board. Then the Platinums seated upstairs follow them in order. Finally, sections of folks waiting downstairs are allowed upstairs (generally via the escalators) to board, and that should be happening generally in the order of completing check-in process.

People arriving later simply check-in and walk on board - little to no waiting reported.

We arrived late once not long ago (won't get into it) and I was surprised boarding had not yet started - it was delayed for some reason. I think a lot of new crew members to clear customs or something. Anyway, upstairs had already been filled and the downstairs priority must have been full and we were directed into a large open space area. I began to wonder if something was wrong and sought out an actual Princess employee from ship as I thought Platinums should be somewhere particular downstairs after upstairs section was full and not sure where that was, but then boarding was commencing so she just told us to join in through the door and so at least we got ahead of some of the crowd. Otherwise, never been downstairs when boarding starts so IDK what they do with over-flow Platinums.

We are Elite and have never had a problem bringing others who are not Elite or Platinum along with us boarding in Port Everglades.

Interesting! I'm sure it's like other rules, it just depends on who is enforcing it that day. But, we try to be rule followers, so we'll just separate (unless instructed otherwise).

The check-in area is in the same place on ground level (assuming Terminal 2 which is the usual situation, and depends on number of Princess ships in Port Everglades - BUT.. Regal should have #2). There is separate line or two for priority check-in which occurs after you go through security scanning just after entering the building.

After check-in, Elite and Suite can go immediately upstairs to their own room. Of course, this area may eventually overflow, depending on the number on that cruise that arrive early. Platinums are seated in a special section downstairs and the so-called "commoners" are seated in various other organized sections. This is what happens in the early part of check-in.

Eventually, Platinums are allowed upstairs into a general seating area, again in order of arrival. This happens until that area is full up and then everyone else remains downstairs. You can see where the Elites and Suites are at this point. Upstairs is on the gangway level to the ship. Think of it similar to Disney where you move through staging areas to get to the main event. But not quite as interesting, until you get upstairs and see those gangways.

When boarding commences, the Suites and Elites are led out of their holding room and board. Then the Platinums seated upstairs follow them in order. Finally, sections of folks waiting downstairs are allowed upstairs (generally via the escalators) to board, and that should be happening generally in the order of completing check-in process.

People arriving later simply check-in and walk on board - little to no waiting reported.

We arrived late once not long ago (won't get into it) and I was surprised boarding had not yet started - it was delayed for some reason. I think a lot of new crew members to clear customs or something. Anyway, upstairs had already been filled and the downstairs priority must have been full and we were directed into a large open space area. I began to wonder if something was wrong and sought out an actual Princess employee from ship as I thought Platinums should be somewhere particular downstairs after upstairs section was full and not sure where that was, but then boarding was commencing so she just told us to join in through the door and so at least we got ahead of some of the crowd. Otherwise, never been downstairs when boarding starts so IDK what they do with over-flow Platinums.

Thank you! It was very helpful to jog my memory on how the whole check in works. It's been 6 years, and two kids later (and I swear children suck out every ounce of intelligence you have!), since I've cruised, so it was fuzzy. I'm pretty sure we'll get there earlier (we're taking the first flight out of BNA that day), so we'll be sure to pack our patience while we wait.

and just noticed your upcoming 60 day cruise. Wow! That sounds amazing!

Edited by lilfish7

I have been told that I don't do sarcasm well. I did not mean to offend you.

At least you have a goal....I enjoyed the journey to Elite. I never worked so hard in my life AND found such pleasure in the path.

Absolutely no offense taken!

Yes, I'm looking forward to achieving our goal of Elite! So many cruises, so little time (and money)!! One day! :D

We are Elite tier on Princess cruises but find that the lines are always longer for the priority embarkation at Fort Lauderdale. We are going to use the ordinary check in next time in December.

Interesting! I'm wondering if it depends on the time of year? We're going in January, so I'm assuming it'll be full of more seasoned travelers, versus the summer or spring break week where you may run into more first time cruisers. That may explain the why the Elite priority boarding takes longer (and is busier)? Or do they not have enough staff members checking in the Elite guests? It'll be interesting to see if my theories are correct. I may have to time our wait and my parents, to see which is faster.