Best time to arrive at Port Everglades for embarkation?

FPJC03

We are taking our first cruise on HAL Koningsdam in January. Wanted to know what time is ideal to get on early enough to have lunch but still avoid the initial crowds. We aren't in a suite or longtime Mariners, so won't get priority boarding.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Frank and Shari from OH.

There is no magic time. Every cruise is different as to when there are crowds. HAL will do it's best to get you on board as soon as possible.

There is a great thread over on the West Coast Departures board. Someone went late, because "everyone" had said early would be crowded, later would be better. They learned "everybody" is wrong. Rather, every cruise boarding is different.

The terminal normally opens around 10:30AM for arriving passengers and the ship usually begins boarding around 11:30AM. If you are looking to board when the rush dies down plan to arrive around 1:00PM. The lines move pretty quickly so I usually arrive with my family around 11:30AM.

My Harmony trip last week, we arrived at 10AM and were on board by 10:15 or 10:20 or so, literally. No lines or anything at all. If you want to avoid the initial check in crowds, I'd arrive around 10AM. Who cares if you have to wait in the waiting area for a bit if they board later?

Some people check in at their assigned times. Some like to arrive about 12:30 to avoid the initial rush and start with lunch. Personally, I'm with the other posters who like to arrive early, board early and enjoy not being rushed. It's all a matter of personal preference.