Asking capability of medical staff OAS

joybaby

The question actually should be what they WILL DO, not what they theoretically CAN do (the nurse-managed IV as an example). The nurse is not going to prescribe any additives and cardiac monitoring requires continuous supervision. The cruise line may very well say that is a level of care they cannot or will not provide regardless of the staff's capabilities. Suggestions for you to check with your own cardiologist as well as with the cruise line PRIOR to sailing are appropriate IMO.

The question actually should be what they WILL DO, not what they theoretically CAN do (the nurse-managed IV as an example). The nurse is not going to prescribe any additives and cardiac monitoring requires continuous supervision. The cruise line may very well say that is a level of care they cannot or will not provide regardless of the staff's capabilities. Suggestions for you to check with your own cardiologist as well as with the cruise line PRIOR to sailing are appropriate IMO.

In an emergent situation, the ship's infirmary WILL provide the necessary care. A Cardizem drip and cardiac monitoring is a pretty simple thing -- we're not talking about performing bypass surgery, here!

And no, a nurse will not prescribe the necessary medication -- that is the doctor's scope of practice -- but the nurse WILL administer and manage the medication that is prescribed and monitor cardiac function throughout the course of treatment.

The ship's clinic is only open for a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours in the afternoon for walk-in patients, but the infirmary is set up to be able to keep patients around the clock with continuous staffing, and there is always a doctor and a nurse available for emergencies 24/7. Even for a patient with something simple that didn't require continuous cardiac monitoring, there would still be a nurse in the infirmary the entire time the patient was there.

Whether or not the patient would later be transferred to a land-based facility for continued care would be determined by the physician in conjunction with the patient's own desires/needs.

From: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/medical-services-onboard-regulations

We have a minimum of one fully licensed doctor, and a minimum of two licensed nurses onboard every ship.

Every Royal Caribbean ship offers limited professional medical services through licensed (international or domestic) physicians and nurses. All Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. ships have shipboard medical facilities that are built, staffed, stocked and equipped to meet or exceed guidelines established by the American College of Emergency Physicians Cruise Ship & Maritime Medicine Section.

Depending on the size of the ship and number of passengers and Crew members, each RCL ship has one to three doctors and three-to-five Nurses, available to passengers and Crew members 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Our medical facilities are stocked with a variety of equipment, including cardiac monitors, automated external defibrillators, ventilators, x-ray machines and processors, laboratory equipment, a formulary of acute care medications and a variety of minor surgical and orthopedic supplies. Our doctors also have access to online informational sources and 24-hour support from shore side medical professionals for additional assistance. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. also requires all doctors and nurses to maintain Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) training. In responding to medical emergencies, our goal is to first stabilize emergency patients and, where indicated, evacuate the patient to an appropriately equipped and staffed shore side medical facility as soon as practical.

As mentioned I would check with your doctor. I can only speak from personal experience from the Serenade of the Seas this past September, when my husband had a heart attack shortly after dinner. The medical Team on board were unbelievable, in fact the Hospital in Newfoundland where he was transferred to and our own Hospital once we he was transported home with a full medical team remarked on the care he had received on board. Sadly he didn't make it and passed away on September 25th. Had he gone in for his complete physical, his heart condition might have been picked up. but I can't beat myself up with the What Ifs, but I can cherish our 48 1/2 years together.

Gay

And you should not beat yourself up. It is very possible to not only pass a stress test but even a cardiac catheterization in certain circumstances and still have an MI. If a plaque forms within the wall of a coronary artery, it can suddenly rupture causing an MI with no previous warnings and no abnormalities on diagnostic testing. The details are not worth boring you with.

You are right to let go of the what if's and cherish your memories.

My opinion, if you have a serious medication condition that requires monitoring, or if you are in the least bit worried, WHY PUT YOURSELF THROUGH THE AGGRAVATION of worrying about medical facilities on board, just do not risk it. There are a lot of wonderful land based vacations that you can take in the US and if you encounter a medical emergency, you can simply be whisked off by ambulance to an ER. I would not travel with a medical condition that requires specialized care. My mom who is 84 travelled for years on cruises - just adored them, but when she developed issues with her kidneys, that was the end of cruise travel, but she still land vacations all the time.

As mentioned I would check with your doctor. I can only speak from personal experience from the Serenade of the Seas this past September, when my husband had a heart attack shortly after dinner. The medical Team on board were unbelievable, in fact the Hospital in Newfoundland where he was transferred to and our own Hospital once we he was transported home with a full medical team remarked on the care he had received on board. Sadly he didn't make it and passed away on September 25th. Had he gone in for his complete physical, his heart condition might have been picked up. but I can't beat myself up with the What Ifs, but I can cherish our 48 1/2 years together.

Gay

Gay I am very sorry for your loss. May the good memories bring you peace and comfort in the coming months and years.

If we can be of any support please let us know!

My opinion, if you have a serious medication condition that requires monitoring, or if you are in the least bit worried, WHY PUT YOURSELF THROUGH THE AGGRAVATION of worrying about medical facilities on board, just do not risk it.

While I understand your point, some people still want experiences even if there is some risk involved. For example - I'm 26 years old. At the time I was diagnosed with my heart condition, I had never been out of the US. Should I have never been able to travel outside the country because there's a chance I could have a medical emergency at any given time? I don't think so. IMO, sometimes the risk is worth the reward.. not always, but sometimes.

My opinion, if you have a serious medication condition that requires monitoring, or if you are in the least bit worried, WHY PUT YOURSELF THROUGH THE AGGRAVATION of worrying about medical facilities on board, just do not risk it. There are a lot of wonderful land based vacations that you can take in the US and if you encounter a medical emergency, you can simply be whisked off by ambulance to an ER. I would not travel with a medical condition that requires specialized care. My mom who is 84 travelled for years on cruises - just adored them, but when she developed issues with her kidneys, that was the end of cruise travel, but she still land vacations all the time.

Actually, in most cases medical care will be initiated more quickly on a ship than it will be on land. On a ship, there is no need to wait for an ambulance to drive there, get you bundled up, and then drive to the hospital. The crew that responds to the emergency call will whisk the patient immediately to the infirmary and begin the necessary testing or treatments without delay.

Furthermore, the OP doesn't have "a serious medication condition that requires monitoring" -- there is no reason for them not to cruise as long as their physician has approved of traveling.

Travelplus and pink845, thank you. One thing that no doubt held me together during that evening and before arriving in Newfoundland the next afternoon, as it was a shorter distance then continuing unto to Halifax, plus it was not deemed safe by the Coast Guard to come get him due to our distance out, was the fact, there were 227 CC members on board, many we had sailed with before so had a huge support team. A Crew member accompanied me over the first 3 days we were in St Johns, even though the daughter flew in from Colorado. I have found remaining with our friends, continuing on with the responsibilities and not shutting myself in our home has helped

It is from this personal experience i wish to alert others to be prepared for those emergencies here on CC. We see on all our cruises, people much older then myself or husband who are still traveling and an emergency can strike anyone of us regardless of our age.

Gay

Heck, there is risk even if you have no known issues. Life is a risk.

Actually, not, if you live, you WILL die. Might as well being doing something you enjoy, or always wanted to try. Life it too short to give up.

As long as your doctor is OK with the cruise, go for it.

My first cruise, my Mother had a right hemisphere aneurysm burst while we waited to leave Halifax. She was sitting talking, her head slumped back and she slide out of her chair. The on board staff was great. They arrived quickly, got her to the medical suite, arranged for transport to the hospital.

We got her medevaced to the US a few days later, but she passed that weekend.

I myself have had a couple of brushes with major issues.

I choose to live. And enjoy life. Within reason. :)