Asking capability of medical staff OAS

joybaby

Does anyone have accurate info. re. the extent of performance of the medical team on RCCL?

I have an irregular fast heart beat that comes on abruptly (atrial fib.) and while it use to terminate sponataneously, now it only stops if I have an IV in the ER to return the rhythm to normal.

Thanks for any input.

Does anyone have accurate info. re. the extent of performance of the medical team on RCCL?

I have an irregular fast heart beat that comes on abruptly (atrial fib.) and while it use to terminate sponataneously, now it only stops if I have an IV in the ER to return the rhythm to normal.

Thanks for any input.

Best to consult with special_needs@rccl.com.

Thanks for any input.

Although they are highly qualified, I would be very leary of being out at sea with a condition that is so spontaneous and requires a specific level of response. Does the IV alone fix it (ie saline) or does it involved specific meds and or some kind of shock therapy?

Your doctor should advise you if it's safe for you to cruise. While the medical staff is pretty good with the 'typical" things....tummy aches, fever, sprains, bumps and bruises, etc....I'm not sure I'd trust my heart condition to a ship's infirmary.

I don't know exactly what the question is. If you need an IV any nurse can do that. But you have a heart condition, so this is a private topic you need to talk to with your doctor first, get permission to travel, and than contact special needs and let them know. As far as their capabilities, they can perform emergency surgery on a ship if needed, they are doctors. However, they are not hospitals.

RCI requires RNs to have three years of Critical Care Experience (ICU or ER) in order to be hired on any of their ships. I can only assume that physicians need to have at least as much experience.

A Cardizem drip is easily managed by any RN with telemetry experience, so have no fear about the ability of the staff to manage your situation.

Please do everything you can to avoid being put in that situation, however -- make sure you're taking your betablocker religiously and keep yourself VERY well-hydrated (your urine should be almost clear at all times). You don't want to waste your vacation in the infirmary!

FYI, I am a cardiopulmonary RN who floats to the Critical Care Unit. I also plan on being a cruise ship nurse in the next few years, so I have investigated the hiring requirements. RCI is on the higher side of the spectrum when it comes to qualifications -- most lines only require two years of critical care experience, while RCI requires three years.

Ask your cardioligist his/her recommendation

I agree with Didicruiser. Talk to your cardiologist. Before every cruise (and land trip) i consult with him. I also have Afib so I understand your question.

Please do everything you can to avoid being put in that situation, however -- make sure you're taking your betablocker religiously and keep yourself VERY well-hydrated (your urine should be almost clear at all times). You don't want to waste your vacation in the infirmary!

I have a-fib, also. Interested in your response on staying hydrated. No one has told me that (though I did find it on an on-line web page). I'm working on compliance, but I'm wondering what the reason is for the need for hydration.

I have a-fib, also. Interested in your response on staying hydrated. No one has told me that (though I did find it on an on-line web page). I'm working on compliance, but I'm wondering what the reason is for the need for hydration.

Lower blood volume when dehydrated can result in a faster heart rate to compensate. With a heart prone to bouts of tachycardia, you don't want to raise the heart rate unnecessarily in case it "kickstarts" a run of tachycardia.

RCI requires RNs to have three years of Critical Care Experience (ICU or ER) in order to be hired on any of their ships. I can only assume that physicians need to have at least as much experience.

A Cardizem drip is easily managed by any RN with telemetry experience, so have no fear about the ability of the staff to manage your situation.

FYI, I am a cardiopulmonary RN who floats to the Critical Care Unit. I also plan on being a cruise ship nurse in the next few years, so I have investigated the hiring requirements. RCI is on the higher side of te spectrum when it comes to qualifications -- most lines only require two years of critical care experience, while RCI requires three years.

Thank you so much for your reply. I was also an ICU/CCU nurse and am very aware of good medical managment. I have never had an issue on vacation, but don't want any surprises.

For medical people this is not a huge life threatening issue, if it stays in a fib, but I want to be sure.

I did write to special needs and explained the situation.

Your reply was fabulous.

Your potassium will drop which is a vital chemical for body function.

I was dehydrated in the ER the other day due to nausea, my K was low and i got a lecture from the doctor.

I did write to special needs.

Lower blood volume when dehydrated can result in a faster heart rate to compensate. With a heart prone to bouts of tachycardia, you don't want to raise the heart rate unnecessarily in case it "kickstarts" a run of tachycardia.

Thank you again!

I will let this site know the results from the letter I wrote to special needs.

Many thanks--drinking water is now on my list of "to do's" for the day.

I agree to get advice from your doctor. If he/she says you are free to travel, I think the ship will be able to handle what you will need. We were on the Oasis last December and my husband had fluid overload due to congestive heart failure (and too much beer!). The clinic was able to deal with the fluid, but to be cautious had us go to the hospital in St. Thomas which was the safest action. They were quick and professional. I don't know what your itinerary is, but I now check the hospitals in each port just in case. If you need to go to the hospital, RCCI will get you there quickly and follow up well in my experience.

As mentioned I would check with your doctor. I can only speak from personal experience from the Serenade of the Seas this past September, when my husband had a heart attack shortly after dinner. The medical Team on board were unbelievable, in fact the Hospital in Newfoundland where he was transferred to and our own Hospital once we he was transported home with a full medical team remarked on the care he had received on board. Sadly he didn't make it and passed away on September 25th. Had he gone in for his complete physical, his heart condition might have been picked up. but I can't beat myself up with the What Ifs, but I can cherish our 48 1/2 years together.

Gay

Just a thought, but given the recent damage to much of the hospitals and infrastructure in the Caribbean, what level of comfort should one have, that a hospital would be available to offer support ?

I think of San Juan as an example. The hospitals there are not able to provide support for the locals and I don't know how they would react to a request from a cruise ship to accept one of their passengers. How about St Thomas ? Other island hard hit ?

Just a thought but one more risk to consider.

I have always assumed that the medical team would have the ability to perform emergency surgery, such as appendix removal. We have done a few TA cruises and about to do another next week, so I hope I'm correct 😀

I have always assumed that the medical team would have the ability to perform emergency surgery, such as appendix removal. We have done a few TA cruises and about to do another next week, so I hope I'm correct 😀

You would more likely be evacuated to the nearest hospital, if possible.

As mentioned I would check with your doctor. I can only speak from personal experience from the Serenade of the Seas this past September, when my husband had a heart attack shortly after dinner. The medical Team on board were unbelievable, in fact the Hospital in Newfoundland where he was transferred to and our own Hospital once we he was transported home with a full medical team remarked on the care he had received on board. Sadly he didn't make it and passed away on September 25th. Had he gone in for his complete physical, his heart condition might have been picked up. but I can't beat myself up with the What Ifs, but I can cherish our 48 1/2 years together.

Gay

So sorry for your loss, Gay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

plum24, thank you, from this experience I now want to alert others on Travel Insurance and to get as much information as you can from a company on what they will cover and what your liable for. My husbands United Health Care brought him home at no cost to me nor any Co Pay from Newfoundland to Palm Springs, CA. ( Insurance is through his Federal as a postal Employee ) The Medical Team on ships are not set up for major surgery, they can set a broken bone, place your arm in a splint as I witnessed on the Liberty in July, but anyone needing surgery will be medivac'd off the ship to the closest hospital.

Yes, look carefully at your existing health insurance and any travel insurance you purchase. Since this is a pre-existing condition, you need to purchase very soon after booking the cruise to get coverage.

And no, the health care on board is NOT included in your cruise fee. And their charges are not cheap, although not out of line with land based emergency/critical care.

Gay

I am so sorry for your loss!

FYI, I am a cardiopulmonary RN who floats to the Critical Care Unit. I also plan on being a cruise ship nurse in the next few years, so I have investigated the hiring requirements. RCI is on the higher side of the spectrum when it comes to qualifications -- most lines only require two years of critical care experience, while RCI requires three years.

Thank you for this! I have a heart condition as well - it's well managed, and I have an ICD, but this is comforting regardless.