Norovirus onboard

arbymore

My DH was confined to our cabin after visiting the medical center on the Infinity. He was diagnosed and tested for Noro and was positive. There was no charge for this or the medicine.

He did receive a token OBC, probably $25 but that was while onboard, not after returning home.

As a FYI, our wonderful cabin steward brought crackers and toast noting that the chicken soup wasn't exactly what his mother would make!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From reading a post on facebook on the Celebrity fan page Australia from a lady who is currently on the Celebrity Solstice and has contracted the Noro virus all her medical visit are covered along with the medication, she is on strict quarantine and is being compensated for each day she is locked in her room, they have been providing her with a special menu to pick from, she has been given free movies etc to keep her entertained in her room, she is checked on regularly by Celebrity staff and while it's a miserable situation to be in, they have handled it very well.

I was on the short sampler cruise on Solstice, that left on the 20th October, we had delayed boarding due to the outbreak on the cruise before (Hawaii to Sydney transpacific), following our arrival, I believe the following cruise also had delayed boarding and yes apparently there is still a noro outbreak on the current cruise. On a very active social media page for celebrity Australia ther are numerous stories of the outbreak.

All medical costs have been covered, special menus have been supplied and yes there has been a per day compensation payment to those affected.

It's been a bit of a nightmare for celebrity on the return to Australia cruise...

Maiden 80

This is what it was like for me--I got sick and was confined to our room they brought me meals(a lot of baked potato) and apple juice was the drink of choice. The compensation is paid per night depending on the amount paid for the cruise.

I wash my hands and carry a sanitizer but now I do not touch handrails on stairs or hallways- use a paper towel to open rest room doors.It isn't my hygiene I worry about it is other people you see them not using buffet sanitizer and walking out of the rest rooms. My husband says I should be "door police" on cruises.

GoGo

We had this in Sydney for a Princess cruise about 8 years ago the whole ship was sanitized and we were given packed sandwiches/ bottled water while waiting to board--One of our table companions caught noro and although told to stay in his cabin used to go to the buffet and we saw him on deck!! This is how it spreads selfish people with no consideration for others.

GoGo

We had this in Sydney for a Princess cruise about 8 years ago the whole ship was sanitized and we were given packed sandwiches/ bottled water while waiting to board--One of our table companions caught noro and although told to stay in his cabin used to go to the buffet and we saw him on deck!! This is how it spreads selfish people with no consideration for others.

He should have been reported

We too, were on the 17 Tahitian Treasures cruise, and truly enjoyed this trip. We were told that the Noro was occurring and enhanced sanitation efforts had been implemented by the time we reached Bora Bora, or midway through the voyage. With all the same people confined to the same environment for an additional 4 sea days, and with the unhygienic behaviors from our fellow passengers, it is a wonder that 70-80% percent of the passengers didn't become ill.

For example we witnessed:

People using public restrooms and not washing their hands afterward.

Men and women not washing their hands after using the public restrooms just outside the Overview Cafe, and then avoiding the human operated and the mechanical sanitizer provided from the outset of the cruise at the entrances to all restaurants.

With tongs readily available, people hand sorting bread to find the slice or roll they wanted at the bread station, and hand sorting taco shells and chips at the Mexican food station. Early on during this cruise, self-selection of cheese was curtailed in favor of staff slicing cheese for the passengers for similar reasons.

People walking around the buffet stations eating from food off their plates, and adding to piles of food they already had while shoveling food into their mouths. In one instance, a staff person re-directed the passenger to a table.

Cookies were kept in jars throughout the cruise.

A reliable source reported that they had seen and reported one man who was eating chips and redipping the chips back into the station's salsa bowl.

Although the germs gave us a skip, we knew people who became ill and saw the influx of people of the elevators going down to the infirmary. By the last two days, it really was "sick bay".

Days before the cruise ended, thorough cleaning and re-cleaning of some state rooms commenced, pillows and linens were removed.

The housekeeping and restaurant staffs, I think the entire Hotel management and staff, worked hard long hours to contain and rectify this outbreak. People were quarantined, care was offered and given.

Too bad it wouldn't be possible to demand compensation from fellow passengers for confinement due to illness.

Edited by cruisefam38

It's not their fault your wife got sick...it comes from other passengers! Or, from someone you were in contact with prior to the cruise....

Too bad it wouldn't be possible to demand compensation from fellow passengers for confinement due to illness.

Well, it isn't certain it comes from fellow passengers. Staff is not immune from noro either. I don't know their policy, but if you're a crew member and you get sick, are you losing pay each day you are out? They may have incentive to try and hide it. And supposedly you can be contagious for up to two weeks. I assume Celebrity isn't paying them to stay confined to their cabin for 2 weeks straight.

There is an ongoing problem in the UK with people making false claims that they were ill with Niro like symptoms whilst on all inclusive holidays in Spain.Just last week a couple were jailed for a false claim.

In my opinion having sailed on over 30 cruise ships Noro is self inflicted.

Look at the evidence you get it because of poor hygiene and not washing your hands after going the toilet.

Noroviruses are very contagious. They are found in the stool (feces) or vomit of infected people. From there, noroviruses are transferred to food, water, or surfaces by the hands of infected people who have not washed adequately after using the bathroom.

Touching contaminated surfaces or objects and then touching their mouth or eating without washing their hands first.

How can I prevent norovirus infections.

Wash your hands with warm, soapy water for 20 seconds

After using the bathroom, Before preparing foods Before eating

Never had it even when it has been on the ship,

Use the hygiene dispensers and wash your hands often.

I also never use the buffet I have followed people from the toilet who have never washed their hands disgusting.

Maybe they need to put up clear signs everywhere near the buffet about simple hygiene rules including washing hands before using the buffet, proper use of tongs, taking new plates when getting more food, etc.

I've seen my share of buffet horror stories too. A guy who grabbed chopped veggies for his salad with his bare hands because he didn't see any tongs; someone who dropped the tongs on the floor and put them right back for the next person to use; someone using tongs from another food (ie. cross-contamination); people put the empty plate they were walking around with back in the clean rack. It's so frustrating to see it.

We all need to call these people out when we see them do the wrong thing. Especially the ones who don't wash before leaving the restroom. Then maybe they'll stop. I'm always stopping in the mens room just to wash my hands. And I will purposely wash for an extra long time just in case someone outside sees me go in for just a minute and think I used the facilities, zipped up and walked out. Call me paranoid but we need to make the germ spreaders know that we're watching them too!

Swigso,

It is not cut and dry. If a cook has noro and handles food, everyone eating the food can potentially catch the virus too. My husband and I are germaphobes. We stay away from people as much as possible, we only fly business class just to give ourselves more space from other people, wash our hands what feels like a hundred times a day - after bathroom use, twice before we handle food, and yet we do catch other people's colds and we caught noro virus once.

We suspect that my husband first caught noro virus on a plane ride in the morning. By evening, my husband was horribly ill. I tried to take him to ER but it was a mistake, an ambulance had to take him there halfway through. He was deathly ill and was kept overnight at the hospital. By the following day I caught it from him, simply because of helping him while waiting to be seen. I was well aware that I could catch it from him.

We stayed in the hotel for another 2 days after we both felt that we had recovered and flew home. At that time we did not know that we could be contagious for up to 2 weeks otherwise we would have stayed on in the hotel until we were no longer contagious. When we got home, I was extra careful with food preparation. A few days after my son came down with noro virus. None of us is the filthy stereotype individuals that you have described. Anyone can catch it. We each need to play our part to not propagate the virus.

There are posts in this thread that state you will not be compensated for days in quarantine for Norovirus and some posts that say you should not be compensated for such a quarantine because it isn't the ships's fault that you caught the virus.

As someone who was quarantined with Noro for two days by order of the ship's doctor and was compensated for the lost cruise time, I know you can be compensated.

I also feel that if a ship's doctor quarantines you to your room during an outbreak on the ship, you are kept in your room and checked on. Several rooms in our corridor had a type of police tape across our doors in a big "X" so we couldn't sneak out. Our SeaPass was digitally changed to beep if we did sneak out and try spend money in a lounge or try to leave the ship in port. We had written doctor's orders that stated how many days we were to be quarantined.

I believe that under such circumstances it was fair to be compensated. By the way, the compensation we were given was for discounts on a future cruise. It was not a cash settlement as such, but we did take a nice cruise at an attractive price. I must say, though, that while I was in the throes of Noro, I swore I'd never cruise again.

I don't believe that Tamiflu or any medication will prevent noro. They only give you things to relieve the symptoms.

Yes, like electrolyte replacements. E.g Hydralyte in Australia. Metoclopramide is an excellent pro kinetic drug meaning that it stops nausea and assists the body to rid itself of the bug by stimulating the gut. You don’t really want to use something to stop diarrhoea as that is the natural way the body gets rid of the virus.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the short sampler cruise on Solstice, that left on the 20th October, we had delayed boarding due to the outbreak on the cruise before (Hawaii to Sydney transpacific), following our arrival, I believe the following cruise also had delayed boarding and yes apparently there is still a noro outbreak on the current cruise. On a very active social media page for celebrity Australia ther are numerous stories of the outbreak.

All medical costs have been covered, special menus have been supplied and yes there has been a per day compensation payment to those affected.

It's been a bit of a nightmare for celebrity on the return to Australia cruise...

Oh no! I am on a Hawaii to Sydney cruise in 2018 [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Newby 58 We did the Hawaii to Sydney cruise and then on to Singapore last year (Sept/Oct) on Solstice didn't have a problem. If you are concerned try not to touch door handles in public loos and use hand sanitizers.

After getting Noro 4/5 years ago I never touch stair case rails or rails in corridors and touch wood have been OK.

Swigso if you are reading this I take exception to your comment that it is self inflicted, I would not wish it on anyone I know--but I don't know you!!