Norovirus onboard

arbymore

I have always wanted to ask this question... on this board, I frequently read about people not washing their hands after going to the toilet. I have never seen this issue in the ladies'. Can someone enlighten me as to whether this behavior is only observed in the men's?

I’ve seen lots of men leave the men’s room without washing, can’t compare it to ladies room.

I have always wanted to ask this question... on this board, I frequently read about people not washing their hands after going to the toilet. I have never seen this issue in the ladies'. Can someone enlighten me as to whether this behavior is only observed in the men's?

It was Mrs Gut who saw it on our last cruise, I assume she was in the ladies, as she sure is one.

My wife suffered with norovirus onboard Celebrity Solstice last week. Is there any chance I can get some compensation for the days she spent confined to her cabin?

Unless the doctor confined your wife to the cabin and there was a ship wide outbreak, there is probably no chance for compensation, they normally do it will onboard to make sure people stay in their cabins for the quarantine period. sorry about your wife.

You’ll likely be fine, I’ve known people on it every year for about five or six years straight, this was the first year wit( a major outbreak.

I can attest to that, I sailed that itinerary in 2013 with no issues. Have been on many cruises and whether there are outbreaks or not, we have not been affected due to the precautions we take, which is mainly good hygiene practises.

Interesting article may be why Mrs Gut and I have never had it, she AB me B.

A interesting article and it may be correct although more research would be needed to verify if it is indeed the case. I am type A though. and have not had Noro.

There was an outbreak on the Hawaii to Syd cruise, arrived syd 20 Oct.

The two night 20 Oct was delayed boarding for deep cleaning, I don’t think there was an issue on it, but two nights it may not have hit till you got off.

I understand there were reports on the next cruise which I think returns tomorrow.

There were multiple people sick Sunday /Monday that were on the sampler and more people reported they had it on the following cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A interesting article and it may be correct although more research would be needed to verify if it is indeed the case. I am type A though. and have not had Noro.

Might also have something to do with taking sensible precautions, like keeping your hands out of your mouth and washing hands regularly.

But many prefer B type blood.

IF they give you compensation, they are being generous. It's not their fault your wife got sick...it comes from other passengers! Or, from someone you were in contact with prior to the cruise....

Your statement is INCORRECT.

The virus can just as easily "come" from a staff member, especially one who handles food and who has not washed their hands properly.

Your statement is INCORRECT.

The virus can just as easily "come" from a staff member, especially one who handles food and who has not washed their hands properly.

I was thinking about this last week

We were on the dreaded 2 day sampler

They had fully deep cleaned the ship but people on the sampler came down with it and then people on the cruise after came down with it so possibly it's going around and around via staff?

Maybe they need to put up clear signs everywhere near the buffet about simple hygiene rules including washing hands before using the buffet, proper use of tongs, taking new plates when getting more food, etc.

I've seen my share of buffet horror stories too. A guy who grabbed chopped veggies for his salad with his bare hands because he didn't see any tongs; someone who dropped the tongs on the floor and put them right back for the next person to use; someone using tongs from another food (ie. cross-contamination); people put the empty plate they were walking around with back in the clean rack. It's so frustrating to see it.

We all need to call these people out when we see them do the wrong thing. Especially the ones who don't wash before leaving the restroom. Then maybe they'll stop. I'm always stopping in the mens room just to wash my hands. And I will purposely wash for an extra long time just in case someone outside sees me go in for just a minute and think I used the facilities, zipped up and walked out. Call me paranoid but we need to make the germ spreaders know that we're watching them too!

Cringing. My two cents-when we turn on the ship tv how’s about an in cabin 90 or 120 Sec commercial detailing the proper way to wash hands and the yuck one passes around by walking out of a bathroom without washing up.

Maybe that will impact a few folks who don’t think taking the extra minute to wash their hands is worth it. (That’s my way of being tactful and not calling the act of using the potty and not washing with soap totally disgusting).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cringing. My two cents-when we turn on the ship tv how’s about an in cabin 90 or 120 Sec commercial detailing the proper way to wash hands and the yuck one passes around by walking out of a bathroom without washing up.

I take it you haven’t already heard and seen the one X put on the TV? Oh no, now I have the ‘wash you hands’ tune in my head :loudcry:.

Edited by villauk

Just want to point since most people think any hand sanitizer will work. Hand sanitizers need a anti-microbial called benzethonium chloride for it to be effective against Norovirus. This virus is one though son of a bitch.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

The hand wipes I brought from the states contain this and we found some here in Sydney - a brand called Dettol.

Just want to point since most people think any hand sanitizer will work. Hand sanitizers need a anti-microbial called benzethonium chloride for it to be effective against Norovirus. This virus is one though son of a bitch.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Wet Ones in the yellow pack have benzethonium chloride.

Just to give a counter experience as peope who where unfortunate to catch Noro Virus appear to be more motivated to speak out.

We have been on the Tahitian Treasures Cruise on Solstice and have not caught the bug and none of our many friends on board did.

But it was shocking to see how some passengers behaved in order to hygene -even after the increased measures have been announced.

I have visited the public bathrooms only to wash my hands and have not experienced once that someone was washing his hands after having been on the toilet there.....