Newly fractured arm and cruising......

I know you broke your arm, not your leg, but one thing you might want to consider for the ship is a shower stool. You can request one through special needs, though ours wasn't in the cabin when we boarded and had to get the cabin steward to get us one.

I always seem to feel the motion of the ship more in the shower than anywhere else. Being able to sit and use the handheld shower might make you feel safer with the motion of the ocean.:)

That is a really good idea to be able to sit in the shower. Thx.

That is a really good idea to be able to sit in the shower. Thx.

You're welcome.:)

Not sure if you are icing your arm or not, but if you are, we found this to be a lifesaver.

carex-health-brands-personal-care-fgp09300-64_1000.jpg

This type of ice bag does not sweat and allowed my DH to put ice on his leg out on the balcony without making a huge puddle in the humidity. We just asked the cabin steward to bring us a big bucket of ice, twice a day along with our regular ice bucket. He also brought us extra pillows to prop up my DH's leg too.

I broke my arm while on the Anthem in January 2016. Luckily I had my husband to help, especially with bras & tying shoes. The one thing I was extremely happy I had packed were lounge pants & capris with elastic bands. Trying to manage zippers and snaps or metal buttons would have been very challenging. Tops with v-necks, etc. I didn't have shoe choice as hadn't packed with a broken arm in mind, but recommend slip ons to make it easier for everyone. Showers were manageable, but being in a Jr Suite, there is a step up & step out tub, not a walk in, so just be prepared. Others very helpful. Have fun & good luck. Enjoy your cruise.

I do remember that you are medical. :) It’s a proximal transverse fracture right below the head of the humerus. Non-displaced. No bone fragments. So just sling and pain meds and ice. Will start PT after several weeks. But right now I can’t put any pressure (like to cut) on the hand or arm without big time pain. And I am right handed with right humerus affected. Sigh.......

Two weeks from now will be like night and day. This will be a quick heal.... provided you don't do things that you are not supposed to. ;)

We've had waiters on the ship cut food for the kids. I've had waiters remove my lobster from the tail shell. One time a waiter in Izumi did the hot rock cooking for my wife when she admitted that she didn't know how to cook...

DW had plates put in for broken elbow and they had her in a brace (and doctor required movement). Went on cruise 2 weeks after surgery. Waiters saw her struggling with dinner and came over immediately to cut up steak, and did the same for the rest of the cruise. Really no different than them removing lobster from shell - they are used to it. No problem!

Only issue she had was with snorkeling - didn't want to get the brace wet so spent her time on the beach.

I broke my left humerus in the same spot as you five weeks ago. I am left handed and live alone. It was hard the first two weeks but with the help of a wonderful neighbor who helped me dress and shop it was manageable. I have been in therapy for a week and a half and can carefully cut my meat, do zippers and buttons, tie my shoes, laundry, vacuum, carry light weight packages, drive etc.

You will be surprised how much you can do for yourself in two weeks even cut your own meat slowly and carefully.

Yes, I've been there done that. I broke my wrist in two places 3 weeks before our cruise. Dr. wouldn't let me go and I'd rather cruise when I was better.........so cancelled and was reimbursed by insurance.

We cruised 5 months later when I was done with PT. I do enjoy the beaches and snorkeling and that is a major part of our cruise.

During the process of seven surgeries, my right arm was in and out of casts for nearly three years. (Loooong story) On one cruise, I had to ice it a LOT. Every day, my cabin attendant would fill a laundry bag with ice and leave it in my stateroom sink for me. It was a wonderful!. Pack a lot of zip lock bags. With a humerus fracture you probably don't have a cast. But, for those who do, Glad Press N Seal is your friend. I used that to wrap my casts for showers.

Although I did not break my arm, I had a coworker break hers in several locations, and was in a cast and sling. She came to work, managed work, ate, etc and managed just fine. You do have one more arm, and a daughter with you. Other than carrying some items, you should be fully able to function. Your other choices, would be to eat items that do not need extensive cutting. Most items served in the MDR would fall under that category.