Newly fractured arm and cruising......

Any tips/suggestions? Anyone with firsthand (pun intended) experience? Broken humerus in sling will be 2 1/2 weeks old when cruise starts. How much assistance will staff provide (if any)? For instance can I request my meals pre-cut up? Just trying to get a feel for if this will be doable or not...... thx for any ideas. :)

Traveling with daughter and 1 year old granddaughter. So daughter will be tied up with the baby. Cutting food is the main problem I see. I could order puréed diet I guess. Lol.......

I don't know what the policy is but I would be surprised if the waiter did not offer to cut up your food.

We have 3 kids under 8, and our waiter on our cruise in April cut up one of our kids meals every night while we cut the other two. We never asked or implied that we needed help, he took it upon himself to help us out. He received an extra tip from us that week!

Traveling with daughter and 1 year old granddaughter. So daughter will be tied up with the baby. Cutting food is the main problem I see. I could order puréed diet I guess. Lol.......

Could you afford to hire a previous cruise friend whom happens to love Freedom and pay for their cruise? Perhaps they would just need a few hours to dive in one port as compensation.

We have 3 kids under 8, and our waiter on our cruise in April cut up one of our kids meals every night while we cut the other two. We never asked or implied that we needed help, he took it upon himself to help us out. He received an extra tip from us that week!

That is great to hear......

just my 2 cents worth - but if I sort someone with a cast on, I would not hesitate to ask how I could help them - carry tray, water, assist with their bags, pull out their seats, hold elevator, ...........just the kind thing to do. Having had a couple dozen casts on legs/arms over the years - I've been where you are now. So, don't discount that your fellow passengers may "do kind" (commercial - be kind/do kind).

just my 2 cents worth - but if I sort someone with a cast on, I would not hesitate to ask how I could help them - carry tray, water, assist with their bags, pull out their seats, hold elevator, ...........just the kind thing to do. Having had a couple dozen casts on legs/arms over the years - I've been where you are now. So, don't discount that your fellow passengers may "do kind" (commercial - be kind/do kind).

You are right. Many people are thoughtful and kind. I hate to think of cancelling because that would impact my daughter’s vacation as well.

You will be surprised and how "good" you've gotten at compensating after just a couple of weeks. I would also expect that the waitstaff will offer to cut up food for you, officers in the Windjammer offer to carry trays, other passengers hold doors, etc. It will all work out.

You will be surprised and how "good" you've gotten at compensating after just a couple of weeks. I would also expect that the waitstaff will offer to cut up food for you, officers in the Windjammer offer to carry trays, other passengers hold doors, etc. It will all work out.

Thank you. I am feeling better reading these replies. Just managed my first shower and it was quite painful. Definitely need encouragement. I jusykeep trying to remember that 2 weeks of healing will make a big difference.

DH had his sternum removed Sept.8 and we sailed to Cuba Oct. 16. He was in intensive care for 10 days and then after discharge in rehab for week+. Everyone who saw that he needed assistance getting up from chairs or walking stopped to help. Passengers and crew. Most folks who sail are awesome.

Don't worry, just enjoy your family and your cruise.

Thank you. I am feeling better reading these replies. Just managed my first shower and it was quite painful. Definitely need encouragement. I jusykeep trying to remember that 2 weeks of healing will make a big difference.

I know you broke your arm, not your leg, but one thing you might want to consider for the ship is a shower stool. You can request one through special needs, though ours wasn't in the cabin when we boarded and had to get the cabin steward to get us one.

I always seem to feel the motion of the ship more in the shower than anywhere else. Being able to sit and use the handheld shower might make you feel safer with the motion of the ocean.:)

No personal experience, except when I was about 10 years old, and I was making a mess of cutting a T-bone in a fancy restaurant, and the waiter came and cut my steak and practically fed me.

On a cruise in 2002, my wife broke her foot, and it was the best thing ever for travel. Front of the security line at San Juan was enough for me to consider taking crutches any time we travel.:evilsmile:

I have no doubt that the wait staff in the MDR will help you cut your food. The WJ might be a bit more challenging.

JC

I broke my arm while on holiday in Zanzibar in August. We continued our trip as planned, visiting UK and Germany. After a couple of weeks I became quite proficient at showering (garbage bag and rubber bands helped) as well as managing food. Dressing and hand washing were my biggest problems, but luckily DH was around to help with the former. I did try to select food choices that were easy to eat. Getting help with one course was OK, but I didn't expect anyone to spend the whole meal assisting me. Go ahead and enjoy your cruise.

Two weeks can make a huge difference. Obviously, it depends on the type of break and how closely the bone ends have been re-aligned, but in a healthy person the bone can be almost completely woven back together in 3-4 weeks and then a couple of more weeks for calcium deposition to make things nice and hard again.

Obvious question but isn't there an option to just order things that don't need to be cut with a knife? I know I had lasagna that could have been "cut" with the side of my fork, etc. I mean that's less extreme than the pureed thing you mentioned.

oh been there with a broken elbow and arm years ago and my biggest fear was someone bumping into me...fast forward this last cruise on serenade. Passenger fell in boston before departure and had cast on her arm...in packed elevator and she just went off on all the people trying to cram in the elevator. I was trying to protect her from getting bumped and had to say...you have to wait..injury in the back here...oh the looks...happy healing and enjoy your cruise. some great ideas on here with the shower stool...and room attendant can get you some bags to put on to shower also...$$$$ goes a long way

I had to cancel a European trip (with long air flight and the thought of trying to manage in the bathroom on the plane) because of the same break you have. After 2 1/2 weeks, I could have managed even that (with the right clothing choices). A cruise would not have been an issue. Everyone's body is unique, but I'm "older," and that means I was probably not as far along at 2 1/2 weeks as you will be. Since you can take the sling off for showering, that should be O.K., and you probably won't need your food cut up by then (but if you do, I, like others, believe the staff will be super helpful).

Two weeks can make a huge difference. Obviously, it depends on the type of break and how closely the bone ends have been re-aligned, but in a healthy person the bone can be almost completely woven back together in 3-4 weeks and then a couple of more weeks for calcium deposition to make things nice and hard again.

I do remember that you are medical. :) It’s a proximal transverse fracture right below the head of the humerus. Non-displaced. No bone fragments. So just sling and pain meds and ice. Will start PT after several weeks. But right now I can’t put any pressure (like to cut) on the hand or arm without big time pain. And I am right handed with right humerus affected. Sigh.......