Stugeron advice

Augustus1#

Hi, I have noticed people saying they take stugeron at all different times. I am hoping someone can tell me the most effective way. Is it best the night before the cruise? Or is it best to take on-board. Also how many days do you continue? Is it the whole cruise or just the Bay of Biscay?

Thanks in advance.

Firstly, do you already know for sure that you do get seasick?

My adult son did not know until it got rough on his first cruise!

Now he takes Stugeron throughout the cruise. He follows the instructions on the packet. I believe he takes two at lunchtime on the day of boarding, therefore several hours before setting sail. Another that night. Then one tablet three times a day.

They say it is useless to wait and take one after you feel seasick as by then it is too late!

He also wears the wristbands when at sea. Belt and braces!

On that first cruise, he went to the ship's doctor and got an injection which worked brilliantly by the way. Cost of course!

Hi, I have noticed people saying they take stugeron at all different times. I am hoping someone can tell me the most effective way. Is it best the night before the cruise? Or is it best to take on-board. Also how many days do you continue? Is it the whole cruise or just the Bay of Biscay?

Thanks in advance.

Just follow the instructions on the packet. The main issue is to ‘pre load’ i.e take them before it gets rough.

We have often found that the Captain will warn if there is bumpy weather expected. On one cruise leaving from Southampton the Captain warned that the weather was going to be bad going up the North Sea. I took a Stugeron before going to bed, woke in the night and could feel that it certainly was bumping around so took another. In the morning both my husband and I took one on getting up and then we were fine for the rest of the day. I've just ordered a couple of packets from Boots in advance of our long trip next January - want to be prepared going round South America, just in case! Mind you when ordering them online you have to give a reason why you want them - would have thought it was obvious but there you are. I certainly wouldn't go on a cruise without Stugeron with us - even though we've rarely had to use them.

Thanks in advance.

Follow the instructions on the packet if you know there are rough seas ahead.

How to use

Please read the enclosed leaflet carefully before use.*

Adults: 2 tablets 2 hours before travelling and 1 tablet every 8 hours during journey.

Children 5-12 years: 1 tablet 2 hours before travelling and half a tablet every 8 hours during journey.

*http://www.boots.com/wcsstore/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/Product_PatientLeaflets/A00000581-10032957.P-Stugeron_15.pdf

Thank you everyone for your advice. I have suffered motion sickness once before but managed without anything. My husband has never cruised and is apprehensive so I wanted to be prepared. I have bought stugeron, avomine , travel bands and ginger from Holland and Barrett.

I also have a travel band and joy rides for my soon to be 3 year old.

We have a 6 hour journey down to Southampton so I think if I have everything available for the journey and then cruise we should be ok.

I hope we all find our sea legs and enjoy the experience.

We take 2 Stugeron each soon after boarding then 1 before bed and 1 as we get up. They say that you shouldn’t drink with them, but we do so with no adverse effects. We tend to stop taking them after the 2nd day, unless it gets rough.

Having tried many remedies, we find that Stugeron is the only one that has worked for all of us.

Personally, I think that wrist bands, ginger etc are placebo effects. If you find that you don’t get sick using them then you probably weren’t going to anyway, but the physiological impact of thinking that you are protected is enough to make you feel fine!

Augustus, just don't take both Stugeron and Avomine together! I tried bands and they didn't work for me. Don't like the taste of ginger so for us it's Stugeron and when we've needed it - not very often - it's worked well.

I have tried most of the brands of antihistamine over the years having had hay fever for many years. For travel sickness I find Stugeron the best. Always read the instructions to be safe, and as previously stated do not take Stugeron and Avomine together.

To the original poster- you sound very prepared! The Bay of Biscay has obviously worried you - you may be surprised how calm it is.

I must be really really lucky as I've never taken anything! The worse night I've had on board was in the Norweigan sea on a Fjord cruise and then I just didn't like the noises and creaking! Didn't actually feel sick.

I took ginger with me going to the Canaries but I don't like the taste so didn't have much of it. Going out we had one rough day (I don't find it so scary in the day, we just were walking like we were drunk all day!) but the night was fine and coming back it was like a millpond!

So you're prepared, try not to worry you might both be absolutely fine, have a good cruise [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As an Ex Royal Navy rating i use to take the sea sickness tablet the morning we sailed and then for 2 or so days if normal weather after that only if very rough... not needed it so far on the cruise ships and bay of Biscay has so far been kind to me.... Hope that helps.

I used to prefer Travel-Eeze as you could take them when you started feeling sick but they are not available anymore. Stugeron is fine but I don't need to take them very often.

Dave. You can get the same active ingredient (meclizine hydrochloride) in Dramamine Bonamine and sea legs, there are probably others. I didn't find them any better or worse than Stugeron.

Mind you when ordering them online you have to give a reason why you want them - would have thought it was obvious but there you are.

A long time ago I was prescribed seasickness tablets for cramp, so maybe they can be used to treat other things, hence the question.