Norwegian!!! Really!!

Lovetocruisefar

I booked a cruise for Norwegian this past September, they waited til day before to cancel due to hurricanes. They gave me a nice future cruise credit, and told me to feel free to book with whomever I want, and use the credit accordingly. I paid deposit for a cruise next year that included a great onboard credit. Not Norwegian just.called and said if i use Future cruise credit, then the are reducing On Board credit. Thats not cool at all to tell me that after I book!!!!! Bait and switch..

I booked a cruise for Norwegian this past September, they waited til day before to cancel due to hurricanes. They gave me a nice future cruise credit, and told me to feel free to book with whomever I want, and use the credit accordingly. I paid deposit for a cruise next year that included a great onboard credit. Not Norwegian just.called and said if i use Future cruise credit, then the are reducing On Board credit. Thats not cool at all to tell me that after I book!!!!! Bait and switch..

Did you book this with a TA? One should have nothing to do with the other. You should be able to book whatever you want and use the future cruise credit just like cash for your deposit. If you went direct with NCL I would escalate this to higher ups.

If you think it is bait and switch, take them to court.

WHO is saying that if you use a future cruise credit, your onboard credit will be reduced, Norwegian or the TA you booked with?? If it’s NCL, I’d keep calling or escalating it. You shouldn’t be penalized for a cruise credit due to a weather cancellation. If it’s the TA, I’d find a new one pronto.

I think you may be confusing a ta obc with an NCL obc. The cruise credit letter most likely quite clearly spelled out the terms of use. Likely it specifically mentioned that a ta commission was based on deduction of the cruise credit. A ta issues obc in addition to any perks that ncl gives for the booking. Most ta's also clearly outline that their offers are dependent on tha commissionable fare. Likely you booked a cruise and ta gave you x $ in additional obc for the booking based on the price. After the cruise credits were applied to booking the commissionable fare is reduced and thus the ta extra perks are subsequently also reduced.

It is also possible when they gave you a future cruise credit because of the cancel, they had small print that said "not valid with any other promotions, offers, deals, etc"

That would make perfect sense. Yea, they cancelled your cruise, but all they were OBLIGATED to do was refund the cost of that cruise. Nothing else. But, they handed out all those future credits. No idea how much yours was, but...

If you think it is bait and switch, take them to court.
He is taking it to court, the court of public opinion that is!!! That is sometimes more effective than paying massive legal fees and trying to combat a large corporation in the legal arena. That being said, the onboard credit given by travel agents is based on the actual dollars spent on the cruise and if part of the price is a cruise credit and not dollars the travel agent does not get paid for that portion so they can't afford to give onboard credit for that portion.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

He is taking it to court, the court of public opinion that is!!! That is sometimes more effective than paying massive legal fees and trying to combat a large corporation in the legal arena.

A court of public opinion really means a hill of beans in the end, when accusing a company of illegal actions.

I just feel if someone is going to throw around bait and switch around, they should back that up. Too many people use that term on here and I've never read anything that would fall under that category.

A court of public opinion really means a hill of beans in the end, when accusing a company of illegal actions.

I just feel if someone is going to throw around bait and switch around, they should back that up. Too many people use that term on here and I've never read anything that would fall under that category.

Too many people have no idea what “bait and switch”really means.

In this case the term doesn't seem to be used appropriately. NCL seems to have made great strides since the last mass redeployment a couple years ago. They have really stepped up how they treat customers. I recently received some cruise credit and the offer was very clear and specifically spelled out how the commissionable fare was reduced when Booking with the credits. When looking for a sailing, the ta's quotes were also very clear that their offers would vary depending on cruise credit types applied to the reservation.

If you are talking not about the money you paid and were refunded but the 50% credit towards a future cruise, I would save your legal fees. It is all free money. Any OBC is based on what you are paying for the cruise, or as another poster stated you cannot combine promotions. So for example, when booking a CAS cruise, I upgraded it to the Haven. But I did not get as much OBC as if I would have paid outright for the room. I could pay full price for the suite and get more OBC, but the $$$ off the room is a much better deal. Now if you didn't get a refund and transferred the amount you paid, that would be a different situation since that would be money you actually paid.

You will find that the court of public opinion actually means quite a bit more than legal action when it comes to these big corporations. Look what happened to United Airlines when the court of public opinion got a hold of video footage of a passenger being dragged unconscious down the aisle, after refusing to give up the seat he paid for, when ordered to do so by an Airline employee. They lost Millions and possibly billions due to losing in that court of public opinion. While I don't think that the OP is correct in their complaints against Norwegian, you cannot reasonably dismiss their complaints, here at Cruise Critic, as being worthless in their effect.

While I don't think that the OP is correct in their complaints against Norwegian, you cannot reasonably dismiss their complaints, here at Cruise Critic, as being worthless in their effect.

Never dismissed their complaint, just dismissed the fact that it is anywhere close to bait and switch. Edited by NLH Arizona

I think you may be confusing a ta obc with an NCL obc. The cruise credit letter most likely quite clearly spelled out the terms of use. Likely it specifically mentioned that a ta commission was based on deduction of the cruise credit. A ta issues obc in addition to any perks that ncl gives for the booking. Most ta's also clearly outline that their offers are dependent on tha commissionable fare. Likely you booked a cruise and ta gave you x $ in additional obc for the booking based on the price. After the cruise credits were applied to booking the commissionable fare is reduced and thus the ta extra perks are subsequently also reduced.

that makes sense or something like that. If, indeed the Op booked directly they need to speak with a supervisor for clarification. I am sure there is something he/she is overlooking about the terms of the credit.

It's your TA that is reducing your OBC (since they, and not NCL, are the ones giving it to you) because the price you are now paying for the cruise has reduced drastically based on the FCC from NCL. TAs calculate the amount of OBC they offer on the price you are paying them for the cruise - you pay less, you get less OBC. So this is something to be mad at your TA about, not NCL.