Spring Break vs. Summer for Family Cruising?

Hi all! I am interested in hearing opinions on whether Spring Break or Summer is a better time to take a family with small kids on a cruise. Prices seem comparable (high), so I am just curious if others have done both and if there is any benefit to one over the other.

More info: our kids’ spring break is last week in March so will not coincide with major Florida college spring breaks which are earlier. And if we go during summer it will be early June to minimize the possibility of hurricane disruption. Looking at 7 night itineraries on Oasis class ships and looking to book adjoining rooms as we are priced out of junior suites.

So in a nutshell the basic question: is there any meaningful difference between the last week of March and early June on Oasis class ships for families with small kids?

Thanks in advance for any input!

I vote for summer as well. I cruised on spring break week once and will NEVER do it again! This was an Easter vacation week. The teens were out of control and it was not relaxing. Looks like your spring break is the week before Easter which will probably also be crowded. Summer has a good mix of families with and without children. Also, if you are going to the Bahamas at all, the water will be warmer in summer.

I would also take into consideration the cost of airfare and hotel costs on Spring break. They are INSANE and there is no way around it. (Not sure if you have to fly)

Good point! I should have mentioned we are fortunate enough to be able to drive so flights and hotels are not a consideration for us. And neither is escaping snow thankfully! 😀 All good things for others weighing the same question to consider though!

Good point! I should have mentioned we are fortunate enough to be able to drive so flights and hotels are not a consideration for us. And neither is escaping snow thankfully! 😀 All good things for others weighing the same question to consider though!

Lucky you!!! Love love love the Oasis!!!

Both are great times to go!! Have done mid March the last several years with no problems. I am a school counselor and have found there is a large number of school personnel on board during spring break with their families. We and have also done summer numerous times. I would choose the one that gets you the best price for the best available cabin that you are interested in.

Presumably you have more options in the summer choosing the Eastern vs. Western route.

I've always done Western because I can drive to Galveston, but I'd love to do Eastern.

Which route would the spring break cruise do?

Do you want adjoining rooms or connecting rooms?

Connecting rooms have the inside door so you can go from one cabin to the other without going into the hallway.

If you want connecting, you might find they are already taken for spring break -- and maybe even for this summer (2018).

If you have not done so, you might also check out the Allure.

I vote for summer as well. I cruised on spring break week once and will NEVER do it again! This was an Easter vacation week. The teens were out of control and it was not relaxing. Looks like your spring break is the week before Easter which will probably also be crowded. Summer has a good mix of families with and without children. Also, if you are going to the Bahamas at all, the water will be warmer in summer.

Totally agree. Would never ever do spring break again. O, OK, if someone else paid for it... I would go again.

Spring break college kids being stupid 24-7. No thanks.

JC

Totally agree. Would never ever do spring break again. O, OK, if someone else paid for it... I would go again.

Spring break college kids being stupid 24-7. No thanks.

JC

As a side question...is there a way to find out when 'spring break' falls? Or does it totally vary by location/school? We are Canadian so March break is a specific week (usually around March 10th)

As a side question...is there a way to find out when 'spring break' falls? Or does it totally vary by location/school? We are Canadian so March break is a specific week (usually around March 10th)

Varies by school. Most are during the month of March.

I wouldn't worry about the typical images of college age spring break partiers on board Oasis class during our spring break cruise on Symphony. We've cruised spring break for the last 6 years and the only times we ever saw the 20 somethings was on the short 3,4 day cruises and to a lesser extent the 5 day cruise. Most of the young adults that were on our Allure and Harmony cruise were there with their parents. There are lots of younger kids on board but I guess being a parent of kids that same age they don't bother us as they do those without kids at home that are seeking kid free cruises.

Presumably you have more options in the summer choosing the Eastern vs. Western route.

I've always done Western because I can drive to Galveston, but I'd love to do Eastern.

Which route would the spring break cruise do?

Do you want adjoining rooms or connecting rooms?

Connecting rooms have the inside door so you can go from one cabin to the other without going into the hallway.

If you want connecting, you might find they are already taken for spring break -- and maybe even for this summer (2018).

If you have not done so, you might also check out the Allure.

We are planning a Western May 2018 so my preference would be an eastern for spring or summer 2019, but really we aren’t too picky. Fortunately for our spring break week 2019 Oasis is on an Eastern itinerary. Kids are still young enough that most excursions aren’t a major driver of our decision so even if we ended up on the exact same Western I wouldn’t be disappointed. And I’d definitely consider Allure or Harmony though it would have to be a much better itinerary or price to make me drive to South Florida over Port Canaveral (but we would definitely consider it!)

We definitely want connecting rooms, which is why I’m already looking at March 2019. I realize those go quick!

Thanks for the input!!

I'd pick March. And if rates high on the cabins you'd like, try to reserve a lesser cabin that you can stand and hope for an opportunity to upgrade after final payment. Easier upgrade availability if booking 2 per cabin.

March generally has more ships sailing out of FL than Summer when many head north and to Europe. Your rain chance is higher in summer months than March and temps are a tad warmer.

Cabins right next to each other can be made into adjoining using the balcony for the BW cabins.

I wouldn't worry about the typical images of college age spring break partiers on board Oasis class during our spring break cruise on Symphony. We've cruised spring break for the last 6 years and the only times we ever saw the 20 somethings was on the short 3,4 day cruises and to a lesser extent the 5 day cruise. Most of the young adults that were on our Allure and Harmony cruise were there with their parents. There are lots of younger kids on board but I guess being a parent of kids that same age they don't bother us as they do those without kids at home that are seeking kid free cruises.

Thanks for the note. Good to know. Of course I totally expect lots of families with as it is March Break...and we're one of them... but just don't want drunk teenagers running around and being rowdy. We should be ok then.

I think it is the worst on the shorter cruises. The college kids focus on the 4 and 5 day sailings. We did the Liberty 5 day and it was truly horrific. We were doing a side to side from Oasis to Liberty, leaving FLL on 2/28 and I was shocked when the bus showed up and all I could see were Gator colors in the line to go thru security. It was 5 to 10 deep circling every bar on the ship. Thank goodness we had the DL to go to in order to get a drink. First night on the elevator, there was a young college girl dressed in a bikini crying. Her roommate had hooked up with a guy that afternoon and she couldn't find her. In Belize, I watched a young college girl carried from one of the over the water bars to a park bench by a security guy from the bar. She was unconscious with puke drooling from her mouth when he dumped her there. Port security took over and 30 minutes later they had an IV in her arm and she was still unconscious, 30 minutes later her friends came staggering down to the pier, seeing her the girls started crying. The IV didn't look very sterile being stuck in her arm on a 95 degree afternoon. Some awesome stuff. Watched other similar events. Sad. I would never pay for my kids to be able to afford to go on that cruise while in college and if they were younger I wouldn't want them to see that. Unless I was there to teach tough love stuff......:eek:

JC

College spring breaks tend to be early March...some can extend to late March.

School spring breaks tend to be 3rd and 4th week of March to mid-April.

We have done 4 Spring Break cruises with my school aged kids as that is what works for our school and sport schedules. There are many multi-generational families on board. You can find a group of partiers (IMO they are typically adults) on any cruise which is why we tend to hang out near the kids pool. There will be a ton of kids on board and they travel in packs. I can see why this would be annoying to people without kids but for those of us with kids we think its great.

We prefer March. We love it being cool at night. There is something just great about being able to swim in the day and it cool at night. We love sitting out on the top deck at night with a cool breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How is the water for swimming in March? Both on the ship and at the Caribbean beaches? I have to admit that as lifelong Florida residents we aren’t too keen on swimming in cold water and what may seem mild to northerners escaping snow feels like winter to us! We can’t use our pool or swim at Florida beaches in March as the water is still too cold. I seem to recall from 15 years ago when we did our honeymoon in March that even though a cold front had come through Florida, the water in Cozumel was plenty warm. Am I accurate in thinking that even if the ship pools are cold we may have an opportunity to swim in the Caribbean in port?