Signature and Neptune suites

yvonneh

I am sailing next month for the first time with HAL on the NA. I have been offered an upgrade, and I am trying to decide if it's worth the cost. As a Celebrity cruiser mostly, their suites come with many perks, and I find it well worth the upgrade cost.

However, I cannot find anything really of value we would be receiving other than a bigger cabin? Could someone please share their thoughts about Signature and Neptune suites?

There are extras that come with the NS but only you can determine if it's worth it to you. It is, to us.

The perks are listed in the HAL site. You get on the ship first, which is nice and you have priority debarking too. Priority access to tenders. Access to the Neptune Lounge with dedicated concierges who can do anything..book shore excursions, settle any account disputes, set up an appt with the future cruise consultant and make dinner arrangements..and more. There are snacks all day and an awesome coffee machine in the Neptune Lounge. Theres also a cocktail (wine) party on embarking day there. We enjoyed the Bose speaker to listen to music. The balcony is also larger than the SS and we enjoy that as well. Complimentary mimosas with room service breakfast..and breakfast items are all complimentary unlike in a SS. The opportunity to have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill, which we like. Slower paced than MDR, albeit the same menu items mostly. Oh you also get a bottle of sparkling wine which is frankly not that good but it can be traded for other things,as I understand it . I'm not that picky so I just drink it, lol. Oh and free laundry and dry cleaning comes with the NS too.

There are extras that come with the NS but only you can determine if it's worth it to you. It is, to us.

The perks are listed in the HAL site. You get on the ship first, which is nice and you have priority debarking too. Priority access to tenders. Access to the Neptune Lounge with dedicated concierges who can do anything..book shore excursions, settle any account disputes, set up an appt with the future cruise consultant and make dinner arrangements..and more. There are snacks all day and an awesome coffee machine in the Neptune Lounge. Theres also a cocktail (wine) party on embarking day there. We enjoyed the Bose speaker to listen to music. The balcony is also larger than the SS and we enjoy that as well. Complimentary mimosas with room service breakfast..and breakfast items are all complimentary unlike in a SS. The opportunity to have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill, which we like. Slower paced than MDR, albeit the same menu items mostly. Oh you also get a bottle of sparkling wine which is frankly not that good but it can be traded for other things,as I understand it . I'm not that picky so I just drink it, lol. Oh and free laundry and dry cleaning comes with the NS too.

Excellent advice (y) (y) (y)

Smooth sailing :ship: :ship: :ship:

We have done several cruises in Neptune suites and last month did our first in a Signature Suite (on the Nieuw Amsterdam). To my surprise, the cabin was very similar to the Neptune, but about 2 feet narrower (my guesstimate). Bathroom looked the same. Deck a bit smaller, but still large enough for a table and 2 chairs plus 2 lounge style chairs (plenty big enough for 2 people).

Since we are 4 Star, we get the Priority boarding (and tenders and disembarkation) and free laundry anyway, so what we gave up was basically the Neptune Lounge, Pinnacle breakfasts, free bottle of sparking wine and a cocktail party the first night.

If the price difference is significant, we will now book the Signature Suite instead of the Neptune (and hope for an upsell offer later).

• Like 1

On some ships we have not been able to trade in the bottle of sparkling wine for something better even if were willing to pay the difference.

The cocktail on the first night in the Neptune Lounge has changed considerably. There are no longer the captain, HD, CD, no other officers, or people like the managers from the shops, photography, etc. Also you don't have a choice of drinks anymore -- a white wine, red wine, and something else. No extra appetizers. The purpose of the "cocktail" party is for the concierges to introduce themselves and explain what all they can do for you.

We have done several cruises in Neptune suites and last month did our first in a Signature Suite (on the Nieuw Amsterdam). To my surprise, the cabin was very similar to the Neptune, but about 2 feet narrower (my guesstimate). Bathroom looked the same. Deck a bit smaller, but still large enough for a table and 2 chairs plus 2 lounge style chairs (plenty big enough for 2 people).

Since we are 4 Star, we get the Priority boarding (and tenders and disembarkation) and free laundry anyway, so what we gave up was basically the Neptune Lounge, Pinnacle breakfasts, free bottle of sparking wine and a cocktail party the first night.

If the price difference is significant, we will now book the Signature Suite instead of the Neptune (and hope for an upsell offer later).

Absolutely agree. Once you reach the 4-star level, we consider a Signature Suite the better value.

I agree too. We’re only 2 star but will hit 3 when we’re off the next cruise . And yeah, the cocktail party is no big deal but it is something. The first time we cruised we got invited to the Captain’s Cocktail party. Now THAT was a party. Premium champagne, caviar and awesome apps!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

if you will provide the upgrade cost, you'll get a more complete answer. If in the tropics, free laundry and drycleaning is a nice perk. I love the Lounge in the morning followed by breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill. I'm an early riser so the NL helps keep the peace. My late-sleeping bride loves the light lunch and snack stuff in the NL.

Only you can decide if it is worth the additional cost. Almost all of our cruises have been in Neptune, thanks to upgrades/upsells, but I have to say that the Signature Suites are an excellent choice. You don't get the free laundry (unless you are 4 star) or the Neptune Lounge (over-rated) but they are very nice and that is what we tend to book. Excellent value for your money.

• Like 1

We have looked at it and would never consider upgrading to a Neptune unless the cost delta was insignificant.

We do not think that the Neptune lounge amenities are that great. Heck, we get better lounge amenities gratis on RCI and they are not cabin category specific. It seems to us to be a very high price premium for such little extra real estate.

The other minor issue....neither of these are suites in the true sense of the word. They what we would call a balcony cabin.

Edited by iancal

It seems to us to be a very high price premium for such little extra real estate.
We would rather do two or three cruises in a Veranda than one in a Neptune. Sometimes it's almost 4:1 :) Edited by catl331

Thank you so very much, everyone! I really appreciate the replies and opinions. Apparently the "upgrade office" is closed until Monday, so I have a little while to think about it.

Hopefully the upsell offers won't be gone. They go out to a lot of people all at once normally.

Nieuw Amsterdam has both Signature and Neptune Suites. I would be tempted to take the Signature if the upsell price is reasonable. More space. It really depends upon the cost. If the Neptunes are cheap, that'a a horse of a different colour ;)

We are cruising on the 11th Nov for the 3rd time on this ship. We've had a Signature sutie and a Neptune suite (on Westerdam), and this time we're in a Neptune again. Each time it's been an upsell, except for this trip. We got (to us) a super deal to cruise so we took the Neptune. We do enjoy the perks, but if the cost to upsell for you is high, you may not want to do it. It depends how much the upsell is. If you do take it, I'm sure you'll be spoilt and love it. If you don't, you'll still have a wonderful cruise.

Hopefully the upsell offers won't be gone. They go out to a lot of people all at once normally.

Nieuw Amsterdam has both Signature and Neptune Suites. I would be tempted to take the Signature if the upsell price is reasonable. More space. It really depends upon the cost. If the Neptunes are cheap, that'a a horse of a different colour ;)

The Neptune suites are sold out now, but the SS are still available. That was a fast sell out.

The offer is/was $249 PP SS and $499 PP NS. We are traveling with our daughter, so do you think that upsell includes her as well? The fine print states "based on double occupancy".

I will call Monday, but just wondered if anyone knows?

The Neptune suites are sold out now, but the SS are still available. That was a fast sell out.

The offer is/was $249 PP SS and $499 PP NS. We are traveling with our daughter, so do you think that upsell includes her as well? The fine print states "based on double occupancy".

One would think they put the verbage 'based on double occupancy' because that is what they mean with the offer....... double occupancy. Please let us know after you check with HAL Monday.

For $249 I would upgrade to the Signature from a Veranda (or lower) cabin, even for a 7 day cruise. Lots more room and I like the larger bathroom. Just in case the Neptune offer is still open (despite what it shows on the HAL website as they often block out a category during the upsell process), IMO the extra $250 to move to a Neptune is not a bad deal either (I have paid from $199-349 for a Signature to Neptune upsell).

A "rule of thumb" I use for upsells is I am willing to pay 1/3rd of the difference currently in the prices of the appropriate categories. For example, if the Signature category is going for $1000 and the Neptune $2000, I would pay up to $333 to take an upsell. Of course this depends on how bad I want the upgrade, the itinerary, location of my current cabin (especially if it is unkown due to a "guarantee"), and location of the new cabin (I like the aft-wraps on the Vista ships for example).

Hope this helps.

Absolutely agree. Once you reach the 4-star level, we consider a Signature Suite the better value.

Our feeling as well, Louis. We did try a Neptune once to see what all the fuss was about and never bothered again. We found the Neptune Lounge to be ———meh. The Signature Suites suit our needs on a longer voyage just fine. We have five stars so get the laundry, priority tendering, boarding and disembarking, as well as two free Pinnacle Dinners. Not to mention 50% off the wine packages. Life is good.

We categorize the difference from whether you want to be a nobody or feel like a somebody. It is called stroking the customer's ego.

Huge profit margins can be made by stroking egos and providing a few token benefits. (unless a great upsell). Hotels have done it for year with executive floors, business lounges etc.

We usually travel in a Signature suite and have always been pleased with our choice. On our upcoming 7 day getaway cruise I had the opportunity to upgrade to a Neptune suite for about $200 pp and I took it. We are looking forward to the experience.

We usually travel in a Signature suite and have always been pleased with our choice. On our upcoming 7 day getaway cruise I had the opportunity to upgrade to a Neptune suite for about $200 pp and I took it. We are looking forward to the experience.

IMO, a $200 upsell price is a good deal.

We treated ourselves to a Neptune suite for our Med cruise next April 30. We liked all the perks but esp the free laundry and cleaning (12 days plus pre cruise in Europe), pinnacle breakfast, Neptune lounge for extras and assistance, full meal options in room and we could get an aft wrap around cabin plus the free signature experience (2 nights in Venice pre cruise etc) The priority boarding, disembarking and tendering also are a great perk. We feel the larger cabin and nicer amenities warrant the cost. We were able to add explore 4 at no additional cost which will be nice. It is all up to you and your wishes. This is a splurge for us to celebrate. Normally we sail regular balcony cabins and are happy. it is nice though to treat yourself every so often...:cool: