Uber not allowed to go to Port Everglade?

parkbr

My aunt just came back from Harmony that sailed on Oct 21st and she told me that when she called Uber, she was told that they cannot take Uber to the PE. Only taxi.

I see many of you saying that Uber is the way to go.

Is that a new rule?

Also, for 5 people from Dania beach hotel area, is shuttle from the hotel the best option for us vs Uber?

My aunt just came back from Harmony that sailed on Oct 21st and she told me that when she called Uber, she was told that they cannot take Uber to the PE. Only taxi.

I see many of you saying that Uber is the way to go.

Is that a new rule?

Also, for 5 people from Dania beach hotel area, is shuttle from the hotel the best option for us vs Uber?

Interesting as we have used Uber on several occasions? I have heard that the “cabbies” are not happy with both Uber and Lyft since they’re taking their business.

Contact Uber to verify

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She 'called' Uber as in she requested one over the app or internet.

The first Uber driver showed up, asked where they are going, she said to the cruise terminal and he said he can't go and he left. The 2nd Uber got called because the first had cancellation, and the 2nd Uber driver said the same thing. He can't go and charged cancellation fee of $5.

They ended up taking cab. They were close to the Port Everglade, so it came to be like $13 + tips.

FYI, our hotel charges $10/person. So it will be 50 bucks for 5 of us.

In February we took Uber from our hotel to Port Everglades. I asked about return trip when debarking and he suggested with disembarking it may be easier to just use a taxi...so we did.

Sort of what I was thinking ... Probably the easy way would by taxi. ;)

Sort of what I was thinking ... Probably the easy way would by taxi. ;)

Just a point regarding taxis vs Uber, taxis line up coming to the pier and Uber drivers, at least our experience, is they bypass the taxi line, especially if you have hailed them upon disembarking.

Just a point regarding taxis vs Uber, taxis line up coming to the pier and Uber drivers, at least our experience, is they bypass the taxi line, especially if you have hailed them upon disembarking.

Good Point!

I guess those 2 Uber drivers that my aunt and uncle had were anomaly. Too bad that they had to pay cancellation fee.

I think it's something for others to be aware of.

I think some Uber drivers play games and prefer longer trips for more money. We had an unusual occurrence with them in Ft Laud, summoned them and they called me and when I told him where we wanted to go, he cut me off, but I wasn’t charged a cancellation fee since he chose to cancel us out.

The bellman at our hotel two weeks ago told us that Uber in Ft Lauderdale is a bit flaky.

Our experience in Miami with Uber was great though!

Also, I might add, our friends “Ubered” to the port last month and they don’t even have an app LOL

Basically, Uber driver was dropping off people at their hotel and our friends paid driver under the table. I asked them how much they paid. They told us $20.

We paid our Uber driver almost half that amount on that same day.

[emoji6]

I am an Uber driver up in Cleveland Ohio and can verify the last poster's statement.

Although against Uber rules, drivers are not supposed to cancel a ride just because it is too short and they should NOT charge a cancellation fee. You should send a text to Uber to request a refund and complain. They do listen to riders.

You can also team up with other couples if you take Uber XL and enter two stops, so that the total trip is longer.

Will be traveling to FLL in January and will Uber back and forth to the Port from the airport.

I guess those 2 Uber drivers that my aunt and uncle had were anomaly. Too bad that they had to pay cancellation fee.

I think it's something for others to be aware of.

They did not have to pay a cancellation fee. Uber makes it VERY easy to get that refunded. Just go to that trip and submit a note for a refund, right in the app.

The Uber drivers may have been a little confused, with the Port of Port Everglades and the cruise terminal. No one is allowed into the Port without a TWIC (Transportation Workers Identification Credential) issued by Homeland Security. Therefore, when we call for a ride from our ship, we have to use a taxi, as many taxi drivers in port cities will get a TWIC, and we have to specify that the driver have a TWIC. However, the cruise terminal is outside the port security area, and therefore Uber drivers and taxi drivers without a TWIC can freely drop off an pick up there.

A TWIC costs $135 for 5 years, and requires an FBI background check. US mariners have to have them, any workers in the port, any driver bringing a car or truck into the port, any ship's agent, any marine product vendor, etc, etc.

The Uber drivers may have been a little confused, with the Port of Port Everglades and the cruise terminal. No one is allowed into the Port without a TWIC (Transportation Workers Identification Credential) issued by Homeland Security. Therefore, when we call for a ride from our ship, we have to use a taxi, as many taxi drivers in port cities will get a TWIC, and we have to specify that the driver have a TWIC. However, the cruise terminal is outside the port security area, and therefore Uber drivers and taxi drivers without a TWIC can freely drop off an pick up there.

A TWIC costs $135 for 5 years, and requires an FBI background check. US mariners have to have them, any workers in the port, any driver bringing a car or truck into the port, any ship's agent, any marine product vendor, etc, etc.

i have to question you on this one. when we cruise out of PEV we have a car service that we and the driver says he just has a hack license, plus many passengers have friends who give rides.

i have to question you on this one. when we cruise out of PEV we have a car service that we and the driver says he just has a hack license, plus many passengers have friends who give rides.

That's what I'm saying. The cruise terminal is outside the security zone (see last sentence of first para you quoted), so the TWIC is not required for the cruise terminal. This is why I said the Uber drivers were confused, because if they are going anywhere else in the port, or most likely dropping crew off at the cruise terminal (not sure), then they would need the TWIC. My ship calls at the oil terminals just down the way from the cruise terminals, so we don't have the nice facilities, and need a TWIC.

i realized after my post that there is a lot of law enforcement when the cruise ships in port to ensure no one enters any restricted area of the port.

However, i see ships docking close to the cruise ship terminals on days the ships are not in port.

in that case, i would guess that it would require a TWIC for access anywhere in the port

Edited by mo&fran

My sister and I used Uber both to and from Port Everglades 2 weeks ago. When we returned, the 1st driver flaked out on us, just waited a few minutes before we got picked up by the second driver. He did say that only drivers that had the security pass that chengkp75 referenced could get through the gate.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

The cruise terminal is totally separate from the commercial port area. You can't enter that area. You can get close, but there is a guard. I should know, my wife at Port Everglades for years and if I dropped her off, had to drop her off at the guard gate. Lots of restrictions to getting access, actually. Employees on VISA's, if it expires and waiting on renewal, may not be able to get a new port ID and get access. Things like that. Highly restricted area. Cruise terminal is not, at all. And Uber drivers, friends, etc. can obviously access it.

My sister and I used Uber both to and from Port Everglades 2 weeks ago. When we returned, the 1st driver flaked out on us, just waited a few minutes before we got picked up by the second driver. He did say that only drivers that had the security pass that chengkp75 referenced could get through the gate.

They don't need a security pass to pick up. They need to show their drivers license and the waybill from the Uber app to get through. Uber drivers are notoriously lacking in information, since they are often new drivers with no real commercial experience.

The cruise terminal is totally separate from the commercial port area. You can't enter that area. You can get close, but there is a guard. I should know, my wife at Port Everglades for years and if I dropped her off, had to drop her off at the guard gate. Lots of restrictions to getting access, actually. Employees on VISA's, if it expires and waiting on renewal, may not be able to get a new port ID and get access. Things like that. Highly restricted area. Cruise terminal is not, at all. And Uber drivers, friends, etc. can obviously access it.

Why did we have to show our passport and cruise docs to the gate guard going into the port?

Why did we have to show our passport and cruise docs to the gate guard going into the port?

I didn't have to show cruise docs 3 weeks ago and it's not required anyways. I have also gone through the same guard gate to pick my wife up many times. I show my license and tell him I'm picking my wife up from work.