Age question

ERvet

Hello all

I’m planning on taking my nieces for a cruise to coincide with high school graduation for one and Bat Mitzvah for the other. They will be 18 and 12 at the time of sailing. Is 18 old enough for me to book them a separate room? Or will we need to be together? I’d really like to not share all three to a room as I’m guessing we will need alone time (I know I will).

Thanks for any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello all

I’m planning on taking my nieces for a cruise to coincide with high school graduation for one and Bat Mitzvah for the other. They will be 18 and 12 at the time of sailing. Is 18 old enough for me to book them a separate room? Or will we need to be together? I’d really like to not share all three to a room as I’m guessing we will need alone time (I know I will).

Thanks for any advice

I don't really know the answer but we recently took 21 year old twins with us and thought we would go crazy. But the beds came out of the ceiling and while the conspired at night it was above and didn't bother us.

Also we are early risers and we just told them the night b4 where we w ouhld be at breakfast so we left and they showed up later and we enjoyed our peace, coffee and the ocean.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

princess' requirements are:

Age requirements

Guests under the age of 21 years must travel in a stateroom with a guest 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise. For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian.

i'm not sure as their aunt if you qualify. i think you can share a room. the girls (and you) won't spend much time in it. i traveled in an interior with 3 teenagers and those are some of our best memories.

ensure that you have documents signed by their parents allowing you to take them with you and to make medical decisions if that should be necessary.

Thanks for the info. I’m all prepared to get a notarized letter allowing me to travel with them. Though once the older girl turns 18 she’s legal to get on the plane without parental approval.

As for the bunks-I can hear the complaints now about who has to sleep up. Maybe I can do a family booking, or maybe it’s time to try a suite[emoji6]

" For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. "

Not certain if you meet the definition of legal guardian. What you can do is book two cabins next to or across the hall from each other with one adult over 21 and one youth in each cabin. You may want to check out connecting cabins. Then once on board move around as you like. You can get extra cabin cards from passenger services.

" For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. "

Not certain if you meet the definition of legal guardian. What you can do is book two cabins next to or across the hall from each other with one adult over 21 and one youth in each cabin. You may want to check out connecting cabins. Then once on board move around as you like. You can get extra cabin cards from passenger services.

Unfortunately that is not an option as I will be the only adult going. But thanks for the thought.

This could be interesting. When I worked at the pier in SF checking folks in, a non direct dependent under 18 was not allowed to board without specific permission from the parent. We had Moms show up with a child but the Dad had custody (divorce) and she could not take the child without the permission. You may want to check with Princess to be sure.

I would think the OP knows to get written permission from both parents to take their 12 year old niece.

But the 18 year old, while not requiring anyone's permission to sail, must (according to Princess) room with a cabinmate at least age 21 as they are not sailing with their so-called "legal guardians" (which in the real world, someone in Club18-20 legally no longer has).

You're going to need a good TA who knows an inside contact at Princess to do the workaround to be able to book two cabins.

This could be interesting. When I worked at the pier in SF checking folks in, a non direct dependent under 18 was not allowed to board without specific permission from the parent. We had Moms show up with a child but the Dad had custody (divorce) and she could not take the child without the permission. You may want to check with Princess to be sure.

By any chance was a woman in charge of the shore side operation when you worked in SF? If so, you might know my sister (she had a badge that said "I am the man in charge" for the bozos, err - passengers - who couldn't understand a woman was the boss).

I would think the OP knows to get written permission from both parents to take their 12 year old niece.

But the 18 year old, while not requiring anyone's permission to sail, must (according to Princess) room with a cabinmate at least age 21 as they are not sailing with their so-called "legal guardians" (which in the real world, someone in Club18-20 legally no longer has).

You're going to need a good TA who knows an inside contact at Princess to do the workaround to be able to book two cabins.

Yes, I will have a notarized letter allowing travel and medical decisions. I do have a TA, she’s been fine for me but maybe I’ll pick the brains of others on my next cruise for other names. It would be nice if 18 could be acknowledged as ok to be the adult.

I took my 18 year old twin nephews on a cruise with me and their cabin was originally on another deck and that was not a problem....luckily, pricing came down and I surprised them with a balcony cabin right next to ours....yoohoo! We had the room steward open up the balcony divider so if they needed anything, they could just come over. It was so fun ... and they really never got in our way.

Can you just book the 12 year old in your room with you and book the 18 year old in a separate room? Princess will allow that. Then, the 12 year old will probably be able to spend time / even sleep in the same room as the 18 year old. It would be best if the cabin next to one another. The only problem is, the 18 year old's cabin will be charged at a double rate as the rooms are sold pp dependent on double occupancy ... not always, but mostly.

Your other choice would be to get a mini suite. I wouldn't hesitate to book to book 3 to a room in a mini. We did it with a bunch of high school friends ... like a 35 year reunion. There was plenty of room in the cabin for 3 .... but still only one bathroom so two inside connecting cabins might be a better option.

Excellent!! That’s what I wanted to hear. I often travel solo so was prepared to pay for my cabin and then theirs. And was planning on a connecting one. But if I can book the 18 year old alone then the 12 with me I can adjust once on board. Their parents are not coming-at least not on my dime [emoji4]

Excellent!! That’s what I wanted to hear. I often travel solo so was prepared to pay for my cabin and then theirs. And was planning on a connecting one. But if I can book the 18 year old alone then the 12 with me I can adjust once on board. Their parents are not coming-at least not on my dime [emoji4]

Have a great time ... you have a good plan in place.

I'm not an attorney! This is something I've thought a little bit about though because a niece has a serious medical condition and when she visits we have some of these forms in the unlikely event she needs urgent/emergency medical care.

Here's an article on some of the travel documents you may want to look into for your trip:

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/forms-need-son-travel-someone-else-108821.html

Short version is that you probably want a letter authorizing travel, a medical permission form, and a power of attorney form. Here's another article on PoA, not travel focused but still of some relevance: https://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2014/08/15/two-documents-every-18-year-old-should-sign/

Have a great trip!

Could you book yourself and the 12 year old in one room, the 18 year old in a room next door, then when you get on board just get an extra key for the 18 year old's room and give it to the 12 year old so she can sleep in the 18 year old's room. The steward still has to clean up after 3 people, there are still the correct number of seats on a life boat, and you'll get your privacy.

There is no issue with booking a 12 year old in a cabin with only an older (16+) sibling.

The concern here is booking a separate cabin for the girls in the first place--will Princess recognize the OP as the "legal guardian" of their nieces so they are not restricted to just one cabin as the OP is the only person over 21 on the booking?

As one previous response hints they had no issue doing that, the OP should be fine booking themself solo and the two girls in their cabin.

We booked our grandchildren in separate cabins. Twin 16 yr olds in one and a sixteen yr old with her 13 yr old sister in another.

The Ruby Princess has adjoining cabins on Caribe and Baja decks in the 500 numbers. So these cabin were adjoining their parents cabins. We had 5 balconies in a row too and was able to open the dividers between as well.