Our TA has made major muckup

Opened a large letter today from our TA. Documents inside were for someone else who is doing a long trip. Nice trip Melb to Rome, cruise, another flight, another cruise, another flight over to India, 4 weeks land, tours, and it goes on with more flights and cruises. Inside were all the tickets and ALL their personal details. We rang and simply received an apology and request to shred the documents. Lucky we are honest people!

I am writing this because it's the second time this has happened. Wow! Is this a common occurrence? The last time was different TA. Surnames are different.

Anyone else had the same? Thinking of going back to doing all bookings ourselves next time.

Opened a large letter today from our TA. Documents inside were for someone else who is doing a long trip. Nice trip Melb to Rome, cruise, another flight, another cruise, another flight over to India, 4 weeks land, tours, and it goes on with more flights and cruises. Inside were all the tickets and ALL their personal details. We rang and simply received an apology and request to shred the documents. Lucky we are honest people!

I am writing this because it's the second time this has happened. Wow! Is this a common occurrence? The last time was different TA. Surnames are different.

Anyone else had the same? Thinking of going back to doing all bookings ourselves next time.

Let me guess....flight centre....

Pretty sure i cant mention names on here.....but no, not them either time.

To add, these people are due to fly out from Melbourne on the 9th Nov. I hope they are not waiting for mondays mail, and hope the TA has done a quick reissue of docs. Its a bad privacy error. Hopefully they can access and print their docs.

Edited by hangfive
Added more

That's a dreadful breach of privacy. I would have contacted the poor people myself (seeing as how all their details were kindly provided) and made them aware of the breach. Ten to one the agent will neglect to mention it to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's a dreadful breach of privacy. I would have contacted the poor people myself (seeing as how all their details were kindly provided) and made them aware of the breach. Ten to one the agent will neglect to mention it to them.

Agree with this!

The TA will try make this go away and the way mail is these days I doubt reissued docs will make it on time. Certainly not without causing anxiety.

Hope TA will use express courier.

[emoji48][emoji48]Have you asked the TA what they will do to keep you quiet? [emoji48][emoji48]

WOW. I would think they would want to follow up better than that.

Agree with this!

The TA will try make this go away and the way mail is these days I doubt reissued docs will make it on time. Certainly not without causing anxiety.

Hope TA will use express courier.

[emoji48][emoji48]Have you asked the TA what they will do to keep you quiet? [emoji48][emoji48]

I would think most people would print off there own documents or have them electronically nowadays.

Do people still use Travel Agents?

A few High Street Travel Agents in my town, Batemans Bay, there are many retirees in the area and more than a few are not on the 'Puters', so they use the T/A. Having said that, we used to have 5 T/As now down to 3. :(

Personally I prefer to do my own bookings, flights, cruises, land travel, hotels etc. In saying that, there has been the very rare occasion when I had to use an online cruise T/A because I was unable to book direct with a foreign cruise line, i.e. recently - P&O UK, but that is another story and the drama goes on as some of you have read on here.

My son who is in the travel industry big time, says 'I am the high street travel agent's worst nightmare.' Quite a few of us on here in that category, right? :halo:

I would think most people would print off there own documents or have them electronically nowadays.

I agree that most times the documents are sent electronically. I am going on a trip to Antarctica shortly. All the documents were emailed to me, then I was surprised to receive an express parcel with a very nice folder and a hard copy of all the documents including information sheets. It is possible that the documents received by the OP were a duplicate of ones already sent electronically - to the correct people that time I hope. :D

I will add that this trip was booked through a TA, but usually we book direct for cruises and flights. On this Antarctica trip, I was going to book the flights myself, but the system would not allow me to add together all the separate components I wanted. I explained this to the TA. They use a different system and she was able to get me the exact flights I wanted and the price was good also.

We tried to contact these two elderly ladies but phone rangout several times. It is possible they dont have internet. Many elderly don't. I asked TA for supervisor or head, but told they had all gone home being late on a Friday afternoon.

You are correct, it was kind of dismissed with a we'll deal with it attitude. We were worried our details were elsewhere too, but were told all ok. We are doing a trans pacific next year. Point is the privacy and the obvious lack of checking details before posting.....its not like an email.

If its happened twice to us, then i am assuming it may happen to others. We are not impressed.

We tried to contact these two elderly ladies but phone rangout several times. It is possible they dont have internet. Many elderly don't. I asked TA for supervisor or head, but told they had all gone home being late on a Friday afternoon.

You are correct, it was kind of dismissed with a we'll deal with it attitude. We were worried our details were elsewhere too, but were told all ok. We are doing a trans pacific next year. Point is the privacy and the obvious lack of checking details before posting.....its not like an email.

If its happened twice to us, then i am assuming it may happen to others. We are not impressed.

Good post. I wish we could have a 'Name and Shame the Bad Travel Agents' section on here,

I could nominate one right now, they do all those spreads in the Sunday papers, with little back up.:evilsmile:

I agree that most times the documents are sent electronically. I am going on a trip to Antarctica shortly. All the documents were emailed to me, then I was surprised to receive an express parcel with a very nice folder and a hard copy of all the documents including information sheets. It is possible that the documents received by the OP were a duplicate of ones already sent electronically - to the correct people that time I hope. :D

I will add that this trip was booked through a TA, but usually we book direct for cruises and flights. On this Antarctica trip, I was going to book the flights myself, but the system would not allow me to add together all the separate components I wanted. I explained this to the TA. They use a different system and she was able to get me the exact flights I wanted and the price was good also.

Thats comforting to hear. Makes sense too. These women must have been concerned if docs hadn't arrived. Thanks, feel a bit better for them. Its the privacy issue we were shocked with.

Exactly - how do you know your own details weren't merrily mailed out to other random folk. I would seriously be inclined to make a bigger deal out of it. Perhaps when you are back from your trip (in case the agent is prone to any revenge like cancelling flights!). But they need to investigate how it happened - like "work experience kid doing the envelope stuffing" scenario etc and ensuring it doesn't happen again.

Exactly - how do you know your own details weren't merrily mailed out to other random folk. I would seriously be inclined to make a bigger deal out of it. Perhaps when you are back from your trip (in case the agent is prone to any revenge like cancelling flights!). But they need to investigate how it happened - like "work experience kid doing the envelope stuffing" scenario etc and ensuring it doesn't happen again.

I guess we will never know if our details are flitting around the countryside. DH is still very concerned about this. We have had the weekend to think more, and have come to the conclusion that possibly this scenario is not that unusual, mainly because of the quick noncaring manner in which it was 'fobbed off'. Seeing the ladies printed cruise luggage tags, tour vouchers, airline tickets etc certainly made us wish we had less time to wait until our cruise! You may be wise in saying 'wait until return from our trip'.

have also had problem with above mentiond TA. family of 5 from Melb to Syd flight kids were booked on 1 flight 2 adults booked on a flight 1 hour later

put my partner in a queen bed with my 16 year old daughter and me with my son and step daugher in a s seperate cabin

have also had problem with above mentiond TA. family of 5 from Melb to Syd flight kids were booked on 1 flight 2 adults booked on a flight 1 hour later

put my partner in a queen bed with my 16 year old daughter and me with my son and step daugher in a s seperate cabin

Terrible service by the TA (not sure which one) for you, hope you complained.

While the seperate flights were unacceptable, the cabin assignment was most likely done to adhere to the cruise booking requirement that an adult must be in each room, something you can fix once onboard.