BOGO beer caps

jimdod

When we were on the Star earlier this year at the happy hour the would not leave caps on a beer so I could take it back to the room. the head waiter in charge of the wheelhouse said it was a new policy. Anyone else experienced this? we are sailing soon on the Emerald.

Just came back from 28 cruise to tahiti return. The Wheelhouse waiters opened the beer but you could reseal them (Miller) They ran out of Grolsch.

Just came back from 28 cruise to tahiti return. The Wheelhouse waiters opened the beer but you could reseal them (Miller) They ran out of Grolsch.

Heh... Chris and Darshawn in Wheelhouse knew my name and card number on Day 2 of the cruise. :D

• 1 month later...

I use beer caps at home and they go alright. Interesting theory about the turbulence causing them issues, but willing to give it a try, since i have a bunch and it's easy to bring them.

Question I have, having not been on a princess cruise before, there is a lot of chatter about the "princess rules" which I'm obviously not familiar with.

It sounds like some have speculated there might be a rule about being caught walking around with unopened beers?

The obvious "cheat" is to buy as many as you can during happy hours, take em back to your cabin fridge, and enjoy at will if you can cap them yourself. Heck, I have a small bottle capper i could bring. The downside being if you are out and about on the ship, walking back to your room for a beer sucks.

Last question I have. There is much documentation about food menus and wine lists. Even cocktails that are available. But for the life of me, I can't find a beer list ANYWHERE. People here speculating Grolsch cos of the resealable caps.... well... I'm a craft beer drinker. I spend (and am happy to) as much on beer as wine lovers spend on the rare wines. Our tour is in NZ, and i'm doing it for the craft beer that NZ are famous for. So what's the likelihood there is any decent beer on these ships? Grolsch, budweiser, heinekin, kirin etc etc, these are not beers. They're fermented water to me.

I use beer caps at home and they go alright. Interesting theory about the turbulence causing them issues, but willing to give it a try, since i have a bunch and it's easy to bring them.

Question I have, having not been on a princess cruise before, there is a lot of chatter about the "princess rules" which I'm obviously not familiar with.

It sounds like some have speculated there might be a rule about being caught walking around with unopened beers?

The obvious "cheat" is to buy as many as you can during happy hours, take em back to your cabin fridge, and enjoy at will if you can cap them yourself. Heck, I have a small bottle capper i could bring. The downside being if you are out and about on the ship, walking back to your room for a beer sucks.

Last question I have. There is much documentation about food menus and wine lists. Even cocktails that are available. But for the life of me, I can't find a beer list ANYWHERE. People here speculating Grolsch cos of the resealable caps.... well... I'm a craft beer drinker. I spend (and am happy to) as much on beer as wine lovers spend on the rare wines. Our tour is in NZ, and i'm doing it for the craft beer that NZ are famous for. So what's the likelihood there is any decent beer on these ships? Grolsch, budweiser, heinekin, kirin etc etc, these are not beers. They're fermented water to me.

Princess beer selection is absolutely pants to be honest. I'm a Real Ale/Craft Beer fan and normally have to slum it. But, on our 2 cruises on the Crown this year, they had 1 good beer on each time. In June sailing from Southampton, they had 500ml bottles of Bath 'Gem' ale from the Bath brewery not far from Southampton. In October, on our Canada/New England cruise they 500ml bottles of 'Paulaner' German beer for October fest. Hopefully this is the start of better things.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Princess beer selection is absolutely pants to be honest. I'm a Real Ale/Craft Beer fan and normally have to slum it. But, on our 2 cruises on the Crown this year, they had 1 good beer on each time. In June sailing from Southampton, they had 500ml bottles of Bath 'Gem' ale from the Bath brewery not far from Southampton. In October, on our Canada/New England cruise they 500ml bottles of 'Paulaner' German beer for October fest. Hopefully this is the start of better things.

Doing a Boston tour and the best you can get is Paulaner. The people I would kill to visit the breweries up there. It's criminal what they do to us eh? They have world class selections for the wine lovers. I just wanna cry.

If I can't get some Garage Project, Tuatara, Panhead or 8 wired, I might just stab myself in the eye.

That said, what are the princess rules on a) bringing your own alcohol aboard, and b) drinking "outside" bottles around the ship?

in dunedin ensure you do the speights brewery tour privately after taking the shuttle bus to the town short walk and easy to pre book on line excellent value and if you want it a good pub lunch

Doing a Boston tour and the best you can get is Paulaner. The people I would kill to visit the breweries up there. It's criminal what they do to us eh? They have world class selections for the wine lovers. I just wanna cry.

If I can't get some Garage Project, Tuatara, Panhead or 8 wired, I might just stab myself in the eye.

That said, what are the princess rules on a) bringing your own alcohol aboard, and b) drinking "outside" bottles around the ship?

I know what you mean about the beer round Boston....In Boston, we stopped into the Harpoon brewery not far from the ship on our way back from Salem.

As for alcohol on Princess ships only 70cl bottles of wine allowed first 2 per couple free, then $15 corkage charge per extra bottle brought on board. NO beer allowed. Never bothered trying to smuggle some on, so don't know what they'd do if you did and tried to drink around the ship.

in dunedin ensure you do the speights brewery tour privately after taking the shuttle bus to the town short walk and easy to pre book on line excellent value and if you want it a good pub lunch

Might look into that, we'll be visiting next Nov/Dec 18 on the Sun Princess.