1st time solo mildly disabled cruiser

Mary1497

How not to feel awkward. I've cruised once before with mom. This time by myself. I use a cane and may move slower but enjoy myself. One of my kids thinks I'm nuts doing this but the other is encouraging. Thoughts, suggestions. Going Dec 8th to Mex

Have lots of fun. You will be able to navigate around the ship fine, but realize the ship is very large, approximately 300 yards forward to aft, and may move under foot. You may wish to consider renting a scooter for on board use. These are special sized scooters that fit through the cabin doors. Someone on these boards or Princess should be able to advise you regarding scooter rental in San Pedro if you decide to go that route.

You will see others with canes moving slowly, you will see folks in scooters - heck, on a cruise ship you see everything! Go enjoy yourself - who cares if you move a bit slower! Lots of activities you can participate in or just watch. Have a great time!

May1497 -- I'm a senior female who often sails solo, using a cane. There are LOTS of us on Princess (& other lines too)! Yes, we move a bit slower & take longer to get places but we get there.

My next cruise is to Norway & I'll be taking a walker/rollator (I need to sit more often, especially off the ship) as well as my cane. I was thinking about renting a scooter but we'll have several tender ports & a scooter won't be as useful.

So go on your cruise & ENJOY!

Traveling by yourself can be awesome! Although I was a little unsure the first time I did it, I've learned that it's a wonderful way to see parts of the world that you wouldn't see if you waited for others to join you.

Just think! You'll have the entire cabin ALL to yourself. You can go to eat meals when YOU want to, watch the shows YOU want to watch and go on the tours YOU want to go on. I find it quite liberating! If you get lonely, join in at trivia or other ship games. People are always looking for others to join teams,especially in the first few days of the cruise. It's a great way to meet other people. Bring plenty of books and enjoy the peace and quiet and your ADVENTURE! :)

You will have a blast. I went on a 28 day Princess cruise solo with my scooter,walker and cane. I used my walker a lot and it was great for crowded areas and If you needed to rest while waiting in a line. I took it on tenders and it worked out great. Have fun and enjoy every minute. Picture yourself on

different areas of the ship like decks, buffets, shopping and think how you will be the most comfortable.A walker you can sit on worked very well for me.

I use a manual wheelchair full-time and the majority of my roughly 8 cruises thus far have been solo. Have fun, move at your own comfortable pace, everyone else does. The public decks generally have plenty of seats, couches, etc. for you to sit for a few minutes if need be.

Happy to see so many encouraging comments in this thread. I use a cane at work and home, and rent a scooter for cruises. I took my rollator to Hawaii but only used it when waiting for the shuttle after disembarking, after the wonderful wheelchair assistance people had to take their wheelchair back to the ship to help other passengers.

Arriving early for shows and other events is helpful, to be sure you get a seat. Don't hesitate to ask for a table in the dining room where you won't have to step up, if that's an issue. Take advantage of help in the buffet - it's hard to balance a cane in one hand and a plate (or two) in the other. Simply tell the person at the buffet entrance that you would like some help - my experiences with that have been overwhelmingly positive.

I applaud your adventurous spirit in doing a solo cruise - I haven't ventured there yet - and as so many others have said, you will have plenty of company in the cane/walker/scooter brigade. Enjoy!