Walk to port

Saint Greg

Thanks to everyone who shared maps, steps, and videos. They were easy to follow and we figured a piece of cake. Then after much back and forth we changed hotels and decided to Lyft to the terminal next year. We have wheeled luggage on other trips including the weight of Mexican pottery but gee whiz I am winking at 70 so I said enough already! LOL BTW Happy New Year everyone!

1 hour ago, ednabcr said:

*Personally* is the key word here. I personally hate the noise, stink, and old buildings in the older parts of the city.

You caught me there.  I must admit that nearly everything I say is, indeed, my opinion.  Unlike your factual characterization  that hotel away from the port are noisy, stinky, and old.  Does that factual evaluation include the Roosevelt, the Monteleone, the Astor Crown Plaza, the Sheraton New Orleans, the Ritz Carlton, and the Royal Sonesta?  

11 minutes ago, Visigoth said:

You caught me there.  I must admit that nearly everything I say is, indeed, my opinion.  Unlike your factual characterization  that hotel away from the port are noisy, stinky, and old.  Does that factual evaluation include the Roosevelt, the Monteleone, the Astor Crown Plaza, the Sheraton New Orleans, the Ritz Carlton, and the Royal Sonesta?  

I, sir, a humble lower-middle class cog, can't afford any of those hotels and so my options in the more culturally and culinary-rich, exciting blocks of the city are, indeed, decrepit, stinky, and loud. I wish you continued blessings in this promising new year. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The map and video are so helpful to show how to walk from Riverwalk Outlet mall to Carnival Erato Cruise terminal.  We will stay at French Quarter and plan to walk to the port in August but hope the streetcar will be up running at least to Julia terminal so that walk can be little shorter.  

• 8 months later...
4 minutes ago, bcruisin2alaska said:

Saint Gregg,  ( or anyone who will answer) when you are walking back from the ship to the Hilton I see elevators " to shops and dining area" Is there a way to take the elevator and bypass the esclators? 

yep. If you look at the first post in this thread..the elevator in the picture takes you to the same place as the escalator. I believe I even posted a wheel chair accessible video of me using all of the elevators.

• Like 1

We were there back in August and did walk to the port from Wyndham resort (double tree is across 1 block).  The  walking path is exactly what the pictures/video shows.  No matter where you are from, just go to the outlet mall and walk to the food court on 2nd floor and you will see the door existing the mall, turn right, follow the path to the ship.  Easy money.  Few factors need to be considered:  hot and humid weather can make your walk little difficult and if you are with kids, you need to be able to pull and lift your luggage when you get to the staircase, no elevator there, walking thru some foot and car traffic when you hit the ground at the port.  All can take good 25 minutes.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Learner7107 said:

We were there back in August and did walk to the port from Wyndham resort (double tree is across 1 block).  The  walking path is exactly what the pictures/video shows.  No matter where you are from, just go to the outlet mall and walk to the food court on 2nd floor and you will see the door existing the mall, turn right, follow the path to the ship.  Easy money.  Few factors need to be considered:  hot and humid weather can make your walk little difficult and if you are with kids, you need to be able to pull and lift your luggage when you get to the staircase, no elevator there, walking thru some foot and car traffic when you hit the ground at the port.  All can take good 25 minutes.  

Thanks for the reply Learner7107.  What I am looking at is a way to take the elevators from the food court level to the level the Hilton Riverside is on..  Walking up the stair, not on the path. We will be coming FROM THE SHIP.  Thanks for your info.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ricew001 said:

Okay I may have missed something. We are going to Uber from our hotel. Will we still have to maneuver those awful steps?!

Heck no. You'll be dropped off out front. This is for people who wish to walk from their hotel instead of taking an uber.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 11/7/2019 at 9:20 AM, Saint Greg said:

Heck no. You'll be dropped off out front. This is for people who wish to walk from their hotel instead of taking an uber.

Hi Greg and Thanks for all this walking info and pics 

I know the post is years old but I thought i’d ask a question anyway that maybe you could answer if you’re still on cruise critic 

We’re coming in on Celebrity and i believe we’re going to port at the julia terminal…..This is for 3 days in February for Mardi Gras 2024 

Im renting a Scooter due to having back surgery and was Wondering if it’s doable to ride the scooter to the Mall and is it doable to ride the scooter from the ship to the Grandstands on St.Charles to watch the parade on Fat Tuesday?? 

Any ideas on how long it would take to scoot there? lol 

Worst case is i could take a Uber and get as close to the parade route from the ship as i can and use my cane to walk the rest 

But if close enough i’d sure like to use the scooter on Rabbit more 🤣🤣 Zoom Zoomm Zooommmmm 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LaCal said:

Hi Greg and Thanks for all this walking info and pics 

I know the post is years old but I thought i’d ask a question anyway that maybe you could answer if you’re still on cruise critic 

We’re coming in on Celebrity and i believe we’re going to port at the julia terminal…..This is for 3 days in February for Mardi Gras 2024 

Im renting a Scooter due to having back surgery and was Wondering if it’s doable to ride the scooter to the Mall and is it doable to ride the scooter from the ship to the Grandstands on St.Charles to watch the parade on Fat Tuesday?? 

Any ideas on how long it would take to scoot there? lol 

Worst case is i could take a Uber and get as close to the parade route from the ship as i can and use my cane to walk the rest 

But if close enough i’d sure like to use the scooter on Rabbit more 🤣🤣 Zoom Zoomm Zooommmmm 

I have never been in New Orleans during Mardi Gras. I’m not going to be an expert when it comes to crowds or parade routes or any of that. 

I assume you’re talking about the grandstand in front of Gallier hall. They had it out there this weekend. I assume for the Krewe of Jingle parade. It’s almost a half mile walk. But nearly a straight shot.

IMG_8346.thumb.jpeg.d476b7f50a1756d1d93418549b9315b8.jpeg

IMG_8345.thumb.jpeg.4b725b4ad8309b19ae279e3a7d76b1f9.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I have never been in New Orleans during Mardi Gras. I’m not going to be an expert when it comes to crowds or parade routes or any of that. 

I assume you’re talking about the grandstand in front of Gallier hall. They had it out there this weekend. I assume for the Krewe of Jingle parade. It’s almost a half mile walk. But nearly a straight shot.

IMG_8346.thumb.jpeg.d476b7f50a1756d1d93418549b9315b8.jpeg

IMG_8345.thumb.jpeg.4b725b4ad8309b19ae279e3a7d76b1f9.jpeg

Thanks Greg 

The parade we’re planning on going to is at the Grandstands on St Charles 

Appreciate all the posts and info from everyone in here! I will be going there this weekend as I embark on Carnival Valor on Monday from here. Staying there the night before at a hotel very close to the port.

This will be good to know, planning to Uber to the terminal as my mom is coming and will be bringing along all her necessary medical equipment.

Might anyone know if we need to arrange special accommodations such as a wheelchair at the terminal beforehand, or can we once we arrive?

We have already arranged the necessary accommodations for the airport and have informed CCL of what we'll be bringing in the stateroom.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bg2310 said:

Appreciate all the posts and info from everyone in here! I will be going there this weekend as I embark on Carnival Valor on Monday from here. Staying there the night before at a hotel very close to the port.

This will be good to know, planning to Uber to the terminal as my mom is coming and will be bringing along all her necessary medical equipment.

Might anyone know if we need to arrange special accommodations such as a wheelchair at the terminal beforehand, or can we once we arrive?

We have already arranged the necessary accommodations for the airport and have informed CCL of what we'll be bringing in the stateroom.

I’ll hopefully be hanging around the port when Valor comes in on Monday. Definitely will be there in the early morning hours. So check out my Nola trips thread when you get up on Monday if you want to know what’s going on with the ship.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @Saint Greg! Question for you...

We will be disembarking the Dream in March, then staying at a hotel in the French Quarter.

Will it be difficult to get an Uber/Lyft at the port after the cruise? I am assuming it will be super congested. Should we walk elsewhere nearby to get a ride easier? We will have a lot of luggage to haul.

Thank you for all of your helpful info!!

5 minutes ago, seeuonthesea said:

Hi @Saint Greg! Question for you...

We will be disembarking the Dream in March, then staying at a hotel in the French Quarter.

Will it be difficult to get an Uber/Lyft at the port after the cruise? I am assuming it will be super congested. Should we walk elsewhere nearby to get a ride easier? We will have a lot of luggage to haul.

Thank you for all of your helpful info!!

Sure it’s the Dream? That’s in Galveston. Anyway. I always park at the Fulton garage and take their shuttle. But there are always a ton of cabs, etc at the port. I would catch the ride there. Any walking is going to be excessive to get to another pickup location. Unless you want to go through the mall. For that you have to carry your suitcases up a staircase.

Edited by Saint Greg

Oops! You are correct! It's the Glory.

I have the Dream on my mind as we are sailing her from Galveston in October.

Thanks for the info. That's a great idea. I don't want to have to lug our suitcases up staircases!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The information here is so helpful.  Thank you.  I will be taking my first cruise on 2/25/2024 on NCL.  I am flying in on Saturday, the day before and I will be staying at the Intercontinental.  I just wanted to run this by someone who might be able to give me their opinion on whether or not this would be fairly easy to do.  Any comments would be helpful.  For background, I'm a 62-year-old woman traveling alone in okay health (no physical disabilities) and I'll have a full-size suitcase with wheels and a personal bag.

I plan to take the public bus from MSY to the Loyola/Perdido stop.

I plan to walk from this stop to the Intercontinental Hotel on St.Charles ave.

I plan to walk from the Intercontinental Hotel to the cruise port via Podras street and the Rivermall.

Does this sound doable?  I can get a Uber but I thought I could save a few bucks, along with seeing the city by doing it this way.  I'm not due for check-in until 1:30 at the port and all of the walks seem short.  Thanks.

Edited by sjack827
coherence
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, sjack827 said:

The information here is so helpful.  Thank you.  I will be taking my first cruise on 2/25/2024 on NCL.  I am flying in on Saturday, the day before and I will be staying at the Intercontinental.  I just wanted to run this by someone who might be able to give me their opinion on whether or not this would be fairly easy to do.  Any comments would be helpful.  For background, I'm a 62-year-old woman traveling alone in okay health (no physical disabilities) and I'll have a full-size suitcase with wheels and a personal bag.

I plan to take the public bus from MSY to the Loyola/Perdido stop.

I plan to walk from this stop to the Intercontinental Hotel on St.Charles ave.

I plan to walk from the Intercontinental Hotel to the cruise port via Podras street and the Rivermall.

Does this sound doable?  I can get a Uber but I thought I could save a few bucks, along with seeing the city by doing it this way.  I'm not due for check-in until 1:30 at the port and all of the walks seem short.  Thanks.

Sure it’s doable. My suggestion would be when you head to the mall. Go across to the other side of poydras. I think you’re better with crosswalks and a more direct walk that way. I would then suggest you go in Hilton riverside, up the big escalator, up the small escalator, across the bridge, down the escalator and into the mall there. Makes it easier I think as far as getting across the train tracks.

• Thanks 1

Thx to all for every tip in this thread. On NCL Breakaway now after 1 night stay at Hilton Riverside. Followed all instructions and boarding went beautifully. Would like to add that both sets of escalators in the outlet mall were not working. However I was relieved to find an elevator near or beside each escalator. Stopped at food court for a bite then went down in the elevator at 12:10 with a 12:30 boarding time. Could have gone earlier. No one seemed to care. Soon as elevator door opened, a porter was right there asking for my bags. Walked across the driveway, into the terminal and 25-30 minutes later I was on board looking for a drink. Effortless. Thx again.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mjmagee said:

Thx to all for every tip in this thread. On NCL Breakaway now after 1 night stay at Hilton Riverside. Followed all instructions and boarding went beautifully. Would like to add that both sets of escalators in the outlet mall were not working. However I was relieved to find an elevator near or beside each escalator. Stopped at food court for a bite then went down in the elevator at 12:10 with a 12:30 boarding time. Could have gone earlier. No one seemed to care. Soon as elevator door opened, a porter was right there asking for my bags. Walked across the driveway, into the terminal and 25-30 minutes later I was on board looking for a drink. Effortless. Thx again.

Great! Yes I think I did an accessible version once where I pointed out all of the elevators by the escalators. Even if you’re in a wheelchair you can get there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mjmagee said:

Enjoy the cruise. I’m on Carnival Spirit now. We just missed Bimini today with 52mph winds. Hopefully better luck tomorrow in Freeport.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Enjoy the cruise. I’m on Carnival Spirit now. We just missed Bimini today with 52mph winds. Hopefully better luck tomorrow in Freeport.

Good luck! We had lovely weather in the gulf today.

• Like 1