What does the Ship/Crew do between sailings?

qianabb

The Sensation leaves out again on 11/11 and I know that the Sensation's 11/4 sailing should have returned today. What does the Ship and the Crew do from Thursday until Saturday? I know that they cant sit in the Port for 2 days ( I dont think).... Just curious :).

Not aware why Sensation is docked for 2 days. But like in some ports where ships stay overnight, the crew can also go to places to visit just like passengers do, within their allowed time and if on day off. If the crew decides to stay on board, there are also recreational facilities onboard for crew use only.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That seems odd to me also, that she is in port for 2 day?? Most of the time, the crew is VERY busy working to turn the pax and the ship around for their next sailing.... maybe some have 'nothing' to do, but I doubt that is the case with most cruise 'turn arounds'!

The Sensation leaves out again on 11/11 and I know that the Sensation's 11/4 sailing should have returned today. What does the Ship and the Crew do from Thursday until Saturday? I know that they cant sit in the Port for 2 days ( I dont think).... Just curious :).

What would you do if you were not on duty? Watch TV? Go shopping? Lounge in the sun? If the ship is really in port for two days, they would do what you would do.

My question was more me wondering if the ship would just drift out beyond the port for a few days or if it is allowed to stay docked. Definitely relaxation is in order.. Thanks for the responses

That seems odd to me also, that she is in port for 2 day?? Most of the time, the crew is VERY busy working to turn the pax and the ship around for their next sailing.... maybe some have 'nothing' to do, but I doubt that is the case with most cruise 'turn arounds'!

I’m hoping this means our cabins will be available as soon as we board. [emoji5][emoji5][emoji5]

Not sure what schedule you are looking at but the info I have on the Sensation is as follows:

11-2-17 4 Day Western

11-6-17 5 day Western

11-11-17 5 day Eastern

11-16-17 4 day Western

11-20-17 5 day Western

11-25-17 5 day Eastern

11-30-17 4 day Western

Not sure what schedule you are looking at but the info I have on the Sensation is as follows:

11-2-17 4 Day Western

11-6-17 5 day Western

11-11-17 5 day Eastern

11-16-17 4 day Western

11-20-17 5 day Western

11-25-17 5 day Eastern

11-30-17 4 day Western

Someone on another thread said that they were on the 11/4 sailing of Sensation... I didnt look it up, I took their word for it... As I patiently wait for my cruise to commence, I was thinking about it last night.... But even if the Sensation doesnt have a 2 day break, I am sure some other ship does.... Again, just wondering what they do........

Sensation: Adventura Dance Cruise Charter, November 2-6. Then Celtic Thunder 10th Anniversary Cruise Charter November 6-11. Then Ubersoca Cruise Charter November 16-20. Then it's next charter will be in January 2018. I don't think all of these are full charters though.

The only time I have ever seen a ship "left empty" of passengers over night in it's departure port is under 2 instances...

1. It just re-positioned from it's "old" home port to it's new one, not always but usually only happens when the previous home port was in a different country than the new port.
  2. It just came out of dry-dock that lasted longer than 14 days (excluding transit time).

In the first case the cruise ship often has to go through multiple governmental inspections for the new departure to be certified for accepting new passengers. Often these inspections take much longer than the standard turn around day sometimes because the government agencies will only do these during their normal work week. Many times the crew will do a deep cleaning, running various safety drills under the host countries guidelines, and perhaps set-up decorations to celebrate having a new home port. All crew members will get some time off to explore the new port but can choose to stay on board just relax sometimes having access to what is normally passenger only venues.

In the second instance during extensive dry-docks hotel services crew tends to just be in the way, so the cruise line tries to time that the majority of the contracts will expire the same day that the last cruise before dry-dock. Sufficient navigation, technical, and engineering crew remain to be able to sail the ship to dry-dock and be part of any repairs or upgrades affecting their department but other areas like food services and housekeeping will be kept to the barest minimum. Many times the skeleton crew when not needed to be part of a specific project, will be required to leave the ship as not to be in the way of the contractors, visiting like tourists in the dry-dock port. Many times the return trip to the homeport will still have some contractors doing finishing work, plus with the large amount of crew that needs to process in and get settled in, extra time in port is welcomed to space things out before passengers arrive.

In the second instance during extensive dry-docks hotel services crew tends to just be in the way, so the cruise line tries to time that the majority of the contracts will expire the same day that the last cruise before dry-dock. Sufficient navigation, technical, and engineering crew remain to be able to sail the ship to dry-dock and be part of any repairs or upgrades affecting their department but other areas like food services and housekeeping will be kept to the barest minimum. Many times the skeleton crew when not needed to be part of a specific project, will be required to leave the ship as not to be in the way of the contractors, visiting like tourists in the dry-dock port. Many times the return trip to the homeport will still have some contractors doing finishing work, plus with the large amount of crew that needs to process in and get settled in, extra time in port is welcomed to space things out before passengers arrive.

This has not been my experience when in drydock. First off, the hundreds to thousands of contractors will be living onboard, so there will be meals to be made, laundry to do, and cabins to clean, almost as much as when passengers are onboard. Second, the contractors' time is too important to do menial work, so lots of hotel staff are utilized to remove furniture from places to be carpeted, transport furniture to/from the venues where the upholsterers are set up to renew the fabrics, or just to clean up the contractors' work sites every day. Humping trash to the skips requires a large team. And finally, due to the amount of cutting and welding going on, lots of the hotel staff are utilized as "fire watch" in the engineering spaces. While they won't replace people whose contracts have ended before or during the drydock, 90% of the crew whose contracts run past the drydock will remain onboard, and this will be better than 80% of the crew.