No Thanks to "Upgrade"

NukeTim

Sorry, HAL. I cannot accept your "generous" offer of an paid upgrade that would cost me several hundred dollars MORE, when you are currently selling that same upgraded cabin for LESS than what I paid for my lower cabin category I'm currently booked in. Please don't send me upgrade offers if they are going to make me feels sad and :mad:!

If you booked through HAL, or HAL's personal cruise consultants, you might try calling them and see if they can do better considering the circumstances. Just keep in mind that your position is based on when you booked, rather than today's prices. There are good reasons why last minute bookings are cheaper. For example, last minute airfare is more expensive.

Be aware that some upgrades are better than others. I once turned down a free upgrade from standard verandah to superior suite because of noise concerns.

igraf

Sorry, HAL. I cannot accept your "generous" offer of an paid upgrade that would cost me several hundred dollars MORE, when you are currently selling that same upgraded cabin for LESS than what I paid for my lower cabin category I'm currently booked in. Please don't send me upgrade offers if they are going to make me feels sad and :mad:!

I hear ya. We are currently waiting for our cabin assignment. We booked an obstructed balcony. At one point a few days ago suites were cheaper than we paid months ago for our balcony. There were also seat sales for flight with the airline we are flying with. And to add insult to injury, I called a few weeks ago to inquire, and I was offered a balcony one deck up, but would have to give up our small cabin credit.

We turned it down, and waiting with baited breath to see what we get!

If you happen to have purchased a particular cabin at an earlier, significantly higher, price than is now in effect because slow sales have resulted in much lower current prices of course you will not be happy.

But, YOU ARE WHERE YOU ARE, not where you would like to be. If the upsell price now asked will give you a lot more enjoyment, it would make sense to take it - regardless of the fact that you would have been better off if you had waited until now before booking. If it will not add significantly to your enjoyment, do not take it.

The past can not be undone - look at where you are and consider what you now have available.

If you happen to have purchased a particular cabin at an earlier, significantly higher, price than is now in effect because slow sales have resulted in much lower current prices of course you will not be happy.

But, YOU ARE WHERE YOU ARE, not where you would like to be. If the upsell price now asked will give you a lot more enjoyment, it would make sense to take it - regardless of the fact that you would have been better off if you had waited until now before booking. If it will not add significantly to your enjoyment, do not take it.

The past can not be undone - look at where you are and consider what you now have available.

Great Post, navybankerteacher! Always nice to see a mature & balanced view of matters. Thanks.

If HAL is motivated regarding a particular upsell, wouldn't they want their offer to be viewed as a serious one, not one viewed absurdly high, which is the case in some posts above? You seem to want to simplify the matter and put it in a less frustrating light, which is nice, but IMO you are oversimplifying - you would need to assume the cruise sells out, and that someone paid more for the cabins in question than the person who received the absurd offer would have been willing to pay (i.e. HAL succeeded).

Obviously some folks will consider an upset offer as serious and as a "good deal" while others will consider it unreasonable, too high, ridiculous, etc. As long as some will take the offer (maybe even eagerly), the offers you view as not serious will continue in my opinion. They can always make additional offers if they still have excess inventory, as many of us have experienced. To me this is a smart business practice.

Now I must say, in some cases I consider it WRONG, such as the recent Epi Pen scandal (my word) where prices are jacked WAY up because folks who could would pay the ridiculous new prices for life-saving reasons, some I would bet just gambled and died as a result of not having the money to keep one (or more) on hand. IMO, that is very different than using a similar tactic for cabins.

Obviously some folks will consider an upset offer as serious and as a "good deal" while others will consider it unreasonable, too high, ridiculous, etc. As long as some will take the offer (maybe even eagerly), the offers you view as not serious will continue in my opinion. They can always make additional offers if they still have excess inventory, as many of us have experienced. To me this is a smart business practice.

Smart IF they find someone to pay that same upsell amount, I would think. However, I think we're talking about some people who got a good bargain in their booking , and adding the upsell would make the offered cabin higher than the current cost of it. Seems to suggest that only someone else who got an extreme bargain would pay that same amount with their final cost lower than the current advertised price. I'm guessing that sometimes doesn't happen, and after a round of absurd offers are rejected, some of us are unlucky and don't get the reasonable offer in the round that follows.

Oh well, it's just conjecture, and the upgrade fairy will surely continue to leave us guessing.

If HAL is motivated regarding a particular upsell, wouldn't they want their offer to be viewed as a serious one, not one viewed absurdly high, which is the case in some posts above? You seem to want to simplify the matter and put it in a less frustrating light, which is nice, but IMO you are oversimplifying - you would need to assume the cruise sells out, and that someone paid more for the cabins in question than the person who received the absurd offer would have been willing to pay (i.e. HAL succeeded).

What HAL is offering is the opportunity (AT THIS TIME) to move from one category cabin to a higher category cabin; they are not interested in trying to even out the differences between what two people may have paid for that first category cabin.

If the earlier purchaser had paid less (rather than more) than what the later purchaser had paid, then the later purchaser would cry "unfair" if his total (assuming he did buy the upgrade) came to a higher amount.

HAL is interested in operating profitably, not in trying to make everyone wind up paying the same -whether of not both made the same wise timing decision.

If you had purchased Apple stock a month ago at a lower price than someone who bought it a week ago, should that later person be offered the chance to buy more at a lower price than that available to you - to make it "fair"?

I think the days have gone where you might even be offered a FREE upgrade. This happened to us in 2013. On our cruise documents it showed us as having a balcony cabin as opposed to an oceanview which we'd booked. At the last minute they asked for payment (like the night before we departed for Europe) which we ignored. We arrived at the cruise terminal to find our cabin was indeed the balcony cabin and wonder of all wonders, we were never billed for it. I might mention we have never been offered an upgrade or upsell since :-P

I think the days have gone where you might even be offered a FREE upgrade. This happened to us in 2013. On our cruise documents it showed us as having a balcony cabin as opposed to an oceanview which we'd booked. At the last minute they asked for payment (like the night before we departed for Europe) which we ignored. We arrived at the cruise terminal to find our cabin was indeed the balcony cabin and wonder of all wonders, we were never billed for it. I might mention we have never been offered an upgrade or upsell since :-P

Maybe they are waiting for you to pay for the first one before giving you another! L.O. L.

What HAL is offering is the opportunity (AT THIS TIME) to move from one category cabin to a higher category cabin; they are not interested in trying to even out the differences between what two people may have paid for that first category cabin.

If the earlier purchaser had paid less (rather than more) than what the later purchaser had paid, then the later purchaser would cry "unfair" if his total (assuming he did buy the upgrade) came to a higher amount.

HAL is interested in operating profitably, not in trying to make everyone wind up paying the same -whether of not both made the same wise timing decision.

If you had purchased Apple stock a month ago at a lower price than someone who bought it a week ago, should that later person be offered the chance to buy more at a lower price than that available to you - to make it "fair"?

I don't see the connection between your response and my post, but that's ok - my response to your post was obviously confusing as well. Thanks for trying to enlighten.