Unfair booking policies

Geoffa30

It obviously pays to keep on trying. Spoke to someone else this morning who was in the UK (we seem to go through to the US outside of office hours) and have been able to pay the £100 admin charge (£50 per person) to change to today’s offer. We have lost the OBC associated with the original booking but kept the FCC OBC. Overall we have saved £300. Feeling much happier now :D

Edited by Geoffa30
Missed a word ��

UK passport holders resident in the UK may book many US cruise lines; including Princess, if they fall within the categories permitted by the rules which the major cruise lines have imposed. You just need to acquaint yourself with the rules and work out which to use to get your booking accepted through the US travel agent.

Regards John

It obviously pays to keep on trying. Spoke to someone else this morning who was in the UK (we seem to go through to the US outside of office hours) and have been able to pay the £100 admin charge (£50 per person) to change to today’s offer. We have lost the OBC associated with the original booking but kept the FCC OBC. Overall we have saved £300. Feeling much happier now :D

Geoff

Seems to confirm my previous post re our price reduction earlier this year. Our t/a confirmed this to us and just contacted Princess to re-fare us. We were lucky in that the same obc was still being offered so we kept this,along with our fcc and military benefit.

However we were advised that any future reduction would mean a cancellation with subsequent loss of deposit and other benefits.

Definitely worth taking the £100 hit if the saving is more.

Glad to have helped.

Daphne

Geoff

Seems to confirm my previous post re our price reduction earlier this year. Our t/a confirmed this to us and just contacted Princess to re-fare us. We were lucky in that the same obc was still being offered so we kept this,along with our fcc and military benefit.

However we were advised that any future reduction would mean a cancellation with subsequent loss of deposit and other benefits.

Definitely worth taking the £100 hit if the saving is more.

Still got to ask the question why it costs us £100 to refare when the good folks in the USA can get it free as many times as possible. we should have the same conditions!

We usually book cruise only so this protection is not relevant to us, although it will be to those who book a package

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

Just for informational purposes

A UK court ruled that a cruise constitutes a package holiday and is covered by the regulations.

A ferry crossing even an overnight crossing does not unless packaged with another travel product.

There is no legal reason in the UK that cruiselines cannot offer the same terms and conditions as other countries. Providing they do not contravene the package holiday regulations.

They can legally offer:

Refundable deposits

Re pricing downwards at no cost

Change of cabin within category

However they are under no legal obligation to do so.

Glad it worked out for you.

I usually book after the final payment date to get the best prices. I lose out on a lot of promotions. But when I compare the price versus the promotions, we come out ahead using my strategy--except when we end up not taking a cruise because the prices have gone up.

Glad it worked out for you.

I usually book after the final payment date to get the best prices. I lose out on a lot of promotions. But when I compare the price versus the promotions, we come out ahead using my strategy--except when we end up not taking a cruise because the prices have gone up.

I wish we had your restraint. We always book well in advance. We cannot help it. No better buzz than impulsively booking a cruise on a Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately we’re currently fully booked now until March 2019 and are impatiently waiting for Princess to release the Summer 2019 itineraries so we can feel the high again. Will be buying FCC on the Regal in two weeks time in preparation :hearteyes:

UK passport holders resident in the UK may book many US cruise lines; including Princess, if they fall within the categories permitted by the rules which the major cruise lines have imposed. You just need to acquaint yourself with the rules and work out which to use to get your booking accepted through the US travel agent.

Regards John

John, I would be interested in knowing what the 'permitted categories' are. Do you have a source?

The terms and conditions that Princess impose on travel agents in the US and Canada state:

Restrictions for Selling

• Geography
    TA agrees that it will not sell Cruise Line products and services to guests residing outside the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Bermuda and Mexico. Residence will be determined based on a guest’s primary residence. The foregoing restriction does not apply to TA’s sale of Cruise Line products and services to guests residing outside the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Bermuda and Mexico to which TA previously sold Cruise Line products and services, subject to TA providing Cruise Line with sufficient evidence of such prior sale as determined by Cruise Line at its sole discretion. TA agrees that in the event of any violation of the foregoing restriction, Cruise Line will not pay any commissions of any kind on such bookings to TA nor will revenue from such bookings be included in TA’s growth goal programs, incentives, cooperative fund calculations, tour conductors or other amenities. Repeat violations may result in TA’s loss of the right to sell Cruise Line products and services.
    TAs transacting business in the United States or Canada, may transact business either in United States dollars or Canadian dollars.

Are you referring to the the 'TA having previously sold cruise line products' clause?

Geoff - just wondering did you book direct with Princess or via an agent?

Asking because I’m in UK , have always booked direct and haven’t had any problem re-faring directly with Princess - no fees. (2x on Alaska and once this year, before final payment on our TA). I know things can/will change and as has been pointed out consistency isn’t Princesses forte.

Seems sometimes if you don’t like the 1st answer, might be worth calling again you might get a different answer. [emoji849]

Always have to consider what the new promo is and what makes most sense financially. I understand some offers are now non-refundable deposit, so risk losing that This was my most recent experience: booked Sept 2017 TA early, online (March 2016 ) to secure cabin, with ‘free’ AIBP; price dropped significantly (Oct 2016) - more than cost of AIBP and included some OBC; called Princess, prepared to loss AIBP and purchase just for me (like my cocktails on holiday, DH happy to PAYG) which still would save us loads of ££; lovely CS rep went through everything and in the end got new fare, OBC and got to keep AIBP for both of us. Happy Cruisers!!

I have looked at some UK online TAs, to see if there were any added perks (TA’s don’t seem to give away much here) and did see that some of them had all sorts of ‘Admin fees’ for all sorts in their small print. So, decided to continue to DIY.

Would be great if we got some of the deals available across the pond. I have US passport and family in US so could probably circumvent the system if I tried, but after living in UK for 20 years have come to accept that we pay more for most things.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Short comment with no explanatory details...

There are lots of Brits, Aussies, etc who book thru US travel agents...regardless of cruise line rules.

Also, the cruise lines invite abuse of their rules when they stiff their non-US (and Canada) customers with higher prices and no refund of deposit policies.

UK Princess cruiser and feeling pretty miffed at the moment. Just seen our 2018 Sapphire Cruise is on special offer which could potentially save us £600. Excellent. Phoned up. No way of changing without cancelling and rebooking thus losing deposit and FCC OBC. And yet US cruisers seemingly can reprice as much as they like. They also get much better offers from the outset. What a joke. It’s about time Princess upped their game and became more competitive in the UK.

Is your 2018 Sapphire Princess cruise sailing out of Southampton? If so, when you compare your fare to that an American pays, add the cost of roundtrip airfare and probably a night at a UK hotel to the American's fare. That will give a better comparison in determining if the American's cruise cost is competitive with the Brit's cruise.

Is your 2018 Sapphire Princess cruise sailing out of Southampton? If so, when you compare your fare to that an American pays, add the cost of roundtrip airfare and probably a night at a UK hotel to the American's fare. That will give a better comparison in determining if the American's cruise cost is competitive with the Brit's cruise.

I don't think passenger is querying the overall price of the cruise, but the fact that uk cruisers only get one price drop (£100 admin fee) and then incur penalty of having to cancel, lose deposit paid and any obc benefits. Comparing conditions against US who get multiple price drops and no loss of deposit till final payment.

Sorry but that analogy does not work. I could say the same about us flying to Miami for a Caribbean cruise. All the supplementary costs are not part of the issue.

. And yet US cruisers seemingly can reprice as much as they like. They also get much better offers from the outset.

Your observation comes with this caveat...If you book a "SALE" cruise you can indeed get a price reduction by calling. However, once the "SALE" has expired you will most likely lose any of the freebies offered when you booked (pre-paid gratuities, onboard credit, etc,)

Steve

John, I would be interested in knowing what the 'permitted categories' are. Do you have a source?

The terms and conditions that Princess impose on travel agents in the US and Canada state:

Restrictions for Selling

• Geography
    TA agrees that it will not sell Cruise Line products and services to guests residing outside the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Bermuda and Mexico. Residence will be determined based on a guest’s primary residence. The foregoing restriction does not apply to TA’s sale of Cruise Line products and services to guests residing outside the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Bermuda and Mexico to which TA previously sold Cruise Line products and services, subject to TA providing Cruise Line with sufficient evidence of such prior sale as determined by Cruise Line at its sole discretion. TA agrees that in the event of any violation of the foregoing restriction, Cruise Line will not pay any commissions of any kind on such bookings to TA nor will revenue from such bookings be included in TA’s growth goal programs, incentives, cooperative fund calculations, tour conductors or other amenities. Repeat violations may result in TA’s loss of the right to sell Cruise Line products and services.
    TAs transacting business in the United States or Canada, may transact business either in United States dollars or Canadian dollars.

Are you referring to the the 'TA having previously sold cruise line products' clause?

Yes, one of the anomalies is that you have previously bought a cruise with that line through a US agent and can re-book in the future. Another is where you are travelling with a US citizen in your cabin, which might be a bit tricky for many but grandchildren may allow this where your children emigrated to US or an extended family booking with people from both sides of the pond. Residency is another loop hole, there seems to be no limit to how little you reside in the US, if you own property but you could alternatively theoretically reside with the aforementioned son and daughter-in-law for example. If you have a US address it might be accepted by a travel agent.

I got a letter from the top man at a travel agency in US, cannot divulge which as this is not allowed. I was originally attracted to them by their online format with being able to phone in on a free phone 0800 number and their discount claims.

Regards John

I wonder if part of the reason for the price and t/c disparities might be the different business climates.

Different tax rates

Different personnel costs

Different consumer regulatory rules

Currency fluctuations

Staffing costs

Cruise supply costs

I doubt there is one single reason for fare disparity but rather a number of different factors.

At the end of the day Princess is a business and will base their pricing decisions and location of assets based on return on capital.

Yes, one of the anomalies is that you have previously bought a cruise with that line through a US agent and can re-book in the future. Another is where you are travelling with a US citizen in your cabin, which might be a bit tricky for many but grandchildren may allow this where your children emigrated to US or an extended family booking with people from both sides of the pond. Residency is another loop hole, there seems to be no limit to how little you reside in the US, if you own property but you could alternatively theoretically reside with the aforementioned son and daughter-in-law for example. If you have a US address it might be accepted by a travel agent.

I got a letter from the top man at a travel agency in US, cannot divulge which as this is not allowed. I was originally attracted to them by their online format with being able to phone in on a free phone 0800 number and their discount claims.

Regards John

Thank you. I am aware of one situation where a UK resident used a friend's address in the US to make a booking with a US ta. This was picked up at check in and they were unable to provide evidence it was their primary residence. They had to pay the fare difference or be denied boarding.

Holland America has a specific clause in their t&cs stating that where a client misrepresents themselves the TA will not lose commission but the cruise line reserves the right to collect the fare difference. I haven't found a similar clause in the Princess t&cs, but I haven't looked very hard!

Thank you. I am aware of one situation where a UK resident used a friend's address in the US to make a booking with a US ta. This was picked up at check in and they were unable to provide evidence it was their primary residence. They had to pay the fare difference or be denied boarding.

Holland America has a specific clause in their t&cs stating that where a client misrepresents themselves the TA will not lose commission but the cruise line reserves the right to collect the fare difference. I haven't found a similar clause in the Princess t&cs, but I haven't looked very hard!

I used to book cruises in the USA for years never ever had a problem, the above story sounds impossible to believe

I do not believe it needs to be your primary residence, just a genuine residence and in this respect one would expect that you have a bank account and credit card in US dollars with US banks relating to your US address. Many people have property overseas and in my opinion when they stay in those properties they are resident in them. You cannot simply use a friend's address as your residence.

Regards John

I used to book cruises in the USA for years never ever had a problem, the above story sounds impossible to believe

Absolutely true, no doubt - it happened to a friend of my brother. It's unfortunate you doubt my word.

Being able to book Princess cruises with a US ta was possible years ago - but not now. Unless you are part of the 'legacy' group referred to above.