Miami pre-cruise hotel. Did research. Can't decide.

RoperDK

I need some help. I've researched until I can't think anymore. We are driving and want to stay 2 nights pre-cruise near the Miami port. Our ship leaves on a Monday, so traffic is a concern. We are going to park at the port for convenience. Life is too short..... We have Marriott and Hilton points so price isn't a huge consideration. I have zoned in on the Marriott Marquis, Marriott Bayside, and the connecting Doubletree. Day one will be a long drive in to town, so a quiet evening is in order. Day two is visiting my childhood haunts as I grew up in Coral Gables and want to drive around and take some pictures of my favorite places. Again, the night would be quiet and close to the hotel. We are seniors and lots of walking is not an option. I grew up on the beach, so not a priority. A late night for us is 11, so nightlife is a no go. We do love fresh seafood (too bad my beloved stone crabs won't be in season), a great water view, and some drinks at the bar. So, please help my decide. I read the reviews. Some are downright scary, but I take them with a grain of salt. Here's where I am in my decision process:

Marriott Marquis - looks like an amazing property and I can guarantee water view

there is a $20 daily resort fee and only valet at $45 on top of my points

there is only one restaurant/bar listed with very little info and no menu posted

Marriott Bayside - onsite restaurant (Catch bar and grill) looks good

can't guarantee water view with points

can self park for a fee or valet for considerably less

connects to the Doubletree with several restaurant options

Doubletree - can reserve bay front with balcony with points

doesn't have in-room safe?

can only valet, but fee is $30, so less than the Marquis

appears to have several restaurants connected to the property

If anyone has been to one of these properties recently, I would love to hear your opinions. The room doesn't have to be new, but clean is a must and worn and dated are not my favorites.

Thanks so much in advance,

Dawn

The Marriott Marquis is an amazing hotel. There is only 1 restaurant listed because they closed DB Bistro and have been renovating it. It will re-open soon as Boulud Sud, I was just with the Executive Chef last week having drinks. (It's a Daniel Boulud restaurant still.)

For seafood you will have a short walk to Trulucks which is fantastic. Sorry you will miss stone crab season, one of my favorites!! Zuma is right across the street which has seafood and there are lots of other places. Capital Grille is a few steps away.

Out of the 3 hotels this is the higher end hotel and personally the one I would chose. In all fairness, it's the only one of the 3 that I stayed in prior to moving to Brickell.

The Marriott Marquis is an amazing hotel. There is only 1 restaurant listed because they closed DB Bistro and have been renovating it. It will re-open soon as Boulud Sud, I was just with the Executive Chef last week having drinks. (It's a Daniel Boulud restaurant still.)

For seafood you will have a short walk to Trulucks which is fantastic. Sorry you will miss stone crab season, one of my favorites!! Zuma is right across the street which has seafood and there are lots of other places. Capital Grille is a few steps away.

Out of the 3 hotels this is the higher end hotel and personally the one I would chose. In all fairness, it's the only one of the 3 that I stayed in prior to moving to Brickell.

We are getting a Zuma on Las Olas!

BTW, have you tried the Craftsman yet in Mary Brickell? My friend just opened it.

I think Montys in Coconut Grove is a fun place for drinks and dinner right on the water. Agree with the Marriott Marquis, really great hotel!

Sort of across from Montys the Courtyard Marriott Coconut Grove (currently under Irma renovations) has simply stunning waterfront views from every room.

Of the three I would also go with the Marriott Marquis.

Still a relatively new hotel at only a few years young.

Near restaurants and I too love Truluck's. We have eaten there several times and most recently during our stay in Miami last December on New Years Eve.

Truluck's Miami website: https://trulucks.com/locations/miami-florida/

dsc00004_orig.jpg

dsc00142_orig.jpg

Not a blurry photo but smoke as part of the presentation.

dsc00140_orig.jpg

dsc00144_orig.jpg

Keith

BTW, have you tried the Craftsman yet in Mary Brickell? My friend just opened it.

I think Montys in Coconut Grove is a fun place for drinks and dinner right on the water. Agree with the Marriott Marquis, really great hotel!

Sort of across from Montys the Courtyard Marriott Coconut Grove (currently under Irma renovations) has simply stunning waterfront views from every room.

That's great about Zuma.

And yes, at Craftsman quite a bit. Do you know Dustin?! Were you at one of the invitation grand opening parties? Did I miss you?!!!

I love Monty's! Friday nights especially now that it's stone crab season. Love having the pain reliever #3!!

That's great about Zuma.

And yes, at Craftsman quite a bit. Do you know Dustin?! Were you at one of the invitation grand opening parties? Did I miss you?!!!

I love Monty's! Friday nights especially now that it's stone crab season. Love having the pain reliever #3!!

Yes, we are actually quite good friends with Dustin! Love him!

No, we could not get away from work to go to the openings and missed them!

I'm so glad he got away from that nasty Jon Vilma. He's a crook and has been banned from the NFL.

Yes, we are actually quite good friends with Dustin! Love him!

No, we could not get away from work to go to the openings and missed them!

I'm so glad he got away from that nasty Jon Vilma. He's a crook and has been banned from the NFL.

Small world! I knew all of the Brother Jimmy's people very well and had met Jon quite a few times. Know a lot of the stories. I was happy when Mikyle had told us Dustin was opening a new place.

Let me know if you are down here to visit him at all. We will come on over!!

I remember Monty's! Perhaps I should consider the Marriott in the Grove. It would be convenient for my day rediscovering Coral Gables. How bad would the traffic be to the port from there on a Monday morning?

Thanks,

Dawn

I remember Monty's! Perhaps I should consider the Marriott in the Grove. It would be convenient for my day rediscovering Coral Gables. How bad would the traffic be to the port from there on a Monday morning?

Thanks,

Dawn

You will be fine as long as you get to the port after 10:00. The Courtyard is in a great location if that's the one you are looking at.

Small world! I knew all of the Brother Jimmy's people very well and had met Jon quite a few times. Know a lot of the stories. I was happy when Mikyle had told us Dustin was opening a new place.

Let me know if you are down here to visit him at all. We will come on over!!

We were just there two weeks ago before the Heat Game. Went to see Justin then went to the game, had FLOOR seats. It was awesome. We were three people down from Dave Grutman. The hubs played his BFF in an episode of HBO's Ballers so it was great to talk to him.

We will be back right after the holidays. Will shoot you an email.

Also, my girlfriend just opened up No. 3 Social Wynwood's first rooftop bar and we missed that grand opening party also. Have y'all been there yet?

Thanks,

Dawn

Like Carolyn said, not bad at all by the time you are leaving for the port. That Courtyard will basically be brand new and the views amazing and it will be convenient for Coral Gables. I love Montys!

We were just there two weeks ago before the Heat Game. Went to see Justin then went to the game, had FLOOR seats. It was awesome. We were three people down from Dave Grutman. The hubs played his BFF in an episode of HBO's Ballers so it was great to talk to him.

We will be back right after the holidays. Will shoot you an email.

Also, my girlfriend just opened up No. 3 Social Wynwood's first rooftop bar and we missed that grand opening party also. Have y'all been there yet?

Like Carolyn said, not bad at all by the time you are leaving for the port. That Courtyard will basically be brand new and the views amazing and it will be convenient for Coral Gables. I love Montys!

Love Ballers! I'll have to watch again to find your husband!

Have not gone there yet, will have to check it out. We may be staying up your way for the night before our 12/3 Regal cruise. I'll let you know so we can have a drink.

Love Ballers! I'll have to watch again to find your husband!

Have not gone there yet, will have to check it out. We may be staying up your way for the night before our 12/3 Regal cruise. I'll let you know so we can have a drink.

Season Two, episode four. He was in two scenes with The Rock and Andy Garcia.

I swear Dustin knows everyone in Ballers. Omar Miller is his best friend.

I'll shoot you an email. Oh, and Zuma is going in the Icon Las Olas.