Have you ever not liked your table mates??

bobjer17

On my very first cruise (with my sister and my mom) we had dinner with a married couple who spoke very broken English. They had come to the US from a communist country to work in the circus. I have to tell you, they have to be my all time favorite dinner companions ever!!! They were such fun!! The husband and I hit it off so well that on the final night, he shook my mom and sisters hands to say goodbye but grabbed me and gave me a big bear hug!!! I just loved the both of them!!

Our worst, well I don't really have a worst but I do know we were not favorites of one couple. They had bought the wine package and planned on a bottle each night at dinner. When we got to the table that first night, my hubby accidently hit the table which caused the bottle to spill all over the table and the wife. We immediately apologized and ordered another bottle for them, on us and told the wife to send her dress for cleaning and we would pay for that. They were wonderful and would not let us buy them wine or pay for cleaning. We felt horrible and my poor hubby was very embarrassed. Surprisingly, they showed up for dinner each night.

From former USSR?

We are from there and at first we picked tables for two if cruised together, because we used to correct each other automatically which wasn't fun. :)

Several years ago, my husband, my sister and her husband and my dad sailed on a Royal Caribbean cruise. We ended up at an 8 top table and a couple joined us. The husband was the nicest man, but the wife was a total egomaniac. Our family arrived at dinner earlier than the other couple and we picked the seats we wanted and they sat in the open seats.

The next night, we did the same. The wife told us that we should move to different seats because she and her husband were Diamond cruisers and they could sit at the table where they wanted. We agreed that Diamond cruisers should be allowed to do so, but we were all Diamond cruisers so we would stay where we were.

Throughout the week, we didn't talk family things because we didn't want the other couple to feel left out. The wife talked constantly and proceeded to show us the jewelry "she" bought for herself because she had more money than her husband did. All week she let us know how important she was etc.

The last formal night the photographers came to the table, as normal on that night, and wanted to take a picture of all of us at the table. She refused to allow that because "she didn't know us well enough to have HER picture taken with us."

After we left the table, our family just cracked up at her attitude and to this day, I don't understand how her husband ever put up with her.

Never had a problem.

Maybe it's because our not to be table mates almost trip over themselves running towards the exit when they see us making our way to the table.

Alas....

;) ;) & ;) ;)

Right on! Great way to get a decent size table and location for a table for two. :D

Right on! Great way to get a decent size table and location for a table for two. :D

The only problem with this "table for two" is that the two of us sat on opposite sides of a LARGE table and we ended up shouting at one another.

We asked for 2 butlers to relay our conversations to and with one another but...... our request was denied...

:mad::mad:

• 3 weeks later...

On the Dream many years ago, our party of 5 (me, dh, dd4, my mom, and a family friend) were seated with another family of 4 or 5. We earned Strike 1 by showing up the first night with a bottle of champagne, which earned us dirty looks from the mother. Then, my daughter earned us Strike 2 because she was only 4 then and was laughing, giggling, and carrying on like a 4-year-old. Strike 3, I dared try to make small talk with the family, which made me the subject of some joke the dad whispered behind his hand to his teenage son. They finished their meal quickly, and left, with only glares in reply to my words of “bye! Nice meeting you!”

When we left the table that first night, I stopped at the hostess stand and asked to be moved to another table. The hostess asked if there was anything wrong, so I said something like, “we have a small child and our tablemates have made it abundantly clear that we make them uncomfortable.”

The next night we were seated at a table all to ourselves and toasted a second chance at a relaxing dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would rather sit at a small table with only my family. We can talk about the day and plan the next days activities.

My wife enjoys meeting and talking to new people. I like for her to show my children how to be open with others and converse.

So, I just take it as carnival gives it. Everyone we’ve met at dinner and breakfast, who have sat at our table, have been pleasant.

I've had mixed experiences. The one time we opted for the early dining we were seated at a table of 3 other couples all close to us in age. Two of the couples were awesome. We got along well and had a great time. The other couple was awful. Both of them were extremely rude towards our wait staff and were both seriously wasted. It got so out of hand on night 3 that my DH and the 2 other guys had to ask them to leave. Never saw them after that. ☺ I usually prefer just the two of us.

Hi All,

For us, we have had great experiences with our table mates on Carnival! During our honeymoon we got seated with another couple on their honeymoon and 2 other couples that were celebrating their anniversaries!! We had such fun talking with them and running into them onboard ship! Our cruise on Valor we got seated with an older couple from FL and a couple of younger brothers from Florida! This was one thing my hubby and I missed when we sailed NCL...we look forward to sitting with tablemates again on Carnival , we just booked a cruise in Nov of this year on The Miracle out of our home port of Tampa!

Mike and Pam

I wouldn't say we disliked them, but we definitely had nothing in common. We were 25 and on our Honeymoon and they were 4 couples that were friends, were cruising together and they were all in their 60's!!!! No offense to them, but we were definitely not the right fit. We tried to switch tables but they had nothing else available. Needless to say, it was a bit awkward.

This was way before MTD was available. But it worked out ok and they even gave us their contact info and told us to visit them if we ever made it to San Francisco. You just have to make the best of it. But I definitely wouldn't want to be with anyone who is rude or racist. That would not be tolerable!

In response to your thread's title: Yes, but they were family and I did book the cruise with them....:D

My only experience with "bad" tablemates was a couple assigned to our table of eight. They were evangelicals that came to dinner with a Bible in hand, wanted to hold hands for a blessing before the meal (we let them do it the first night) and was always looking for a way to bring a mini sermon of redemption and salvation into the conversation.

Luckily, they were pretty easy to shut down when they tried. :evilsmile:

Oh I would have had some fun with them...lol

I don't bother with the MDR these days not unless I'm forced into it by family. I do remember being seated with people that didn't speak English in the past. it was not a Fun For All experience. One time we were seated with a know it all school teacher that didn't let anyone else talk .Even though his mouth was full of food when he was trying to give us all an education. :rolleyes:

That could not have been enjoyable!

And have vibrant conversations? :confused:

LOL...Some people, myself included, are comfortable with their own company. We don't all have a need for conversation while dining. To each their own, and I am glad that we all now have a choice .:)

About 5-6 cruises ago, I was on the Splendor and went to brunch by myself. I assumed I would get a table for myself however I was seated at a large table. There were 4 passengers traveling together and they were so obnoxious, especially to the waiter. They also ordered about 100 apps each, after an hour or so I asked the waiter where were my eggs and he said he would serve all together- ugh. Now I make sure to ask for a small table. No one has any time for a 2 hour breakfast. :)

Luckily for us it was at brunch so not so awkward as an assigned dining table mate. We were seated at a table with 3 other couples we had never met. One women started in on a sensational news story at the time. The only problem was that many of her comments were very offensive. It was obvious that she had not been following the news updates but had already made up her mind without all of the facts. My husband & I both tried to move the conversation to something less controversial. It was obvious that she was not not about to allow anyone to have an opinion other than what she was spouting. Sorry, my vacation too and not going to waste anymore time being polite to someone so rude & insensitive I told my husband I was ready to leave if he was even though we hadn't finished our meal. One of the other couples were of the same mind and did the same. The woman actually sat there with her mouth hanging open when the 4 of us left. On the bright side - that couple was a lot of fun!! We spent a lot of time with them during the rest of the cruise especially at the farewell party (they still had them on that cruise). We did run in to the offensive woman several times throughout the cruise but were always able to veer away. No, I am not fragile and easily offended (I have 2 brothers:cool:). This woman was over the top offensive. It was worse than one of the "What Would You Do" tv show scenarios.

I do keep checking this thread to see if any of the awful table mates seem to describe me:(

My first cruise was the only time I did set dining. I was part of a large family so it was us & a grandma with her 2 young grandkids. I was a teen at the time but we all got on fine.

I've done YTD since and only once have been seated with strangers. I was cruising with a friend & we were seated with a woman about our age & her teen daughter. We had a blast! She was a young mother like me. We ended up going to a show later that night. So good experiences for me thus far.

On the Dream many years ago, our party of 5 (me, dh, dd4, my mom, and a family friend) were seated with another family of 4 or 5. We earned Strike 1 by showing up the first night with a bottle of champagne, which earned us dirty looks from the mother. Then, my daughter earned us Strike 2 because she was only 4 then and was laughing, giggling, and carrying on like a 4-year-old. Strike 3, I dared try to make small talk with the family, which made me the subject of some joke the dad whispered behind his hand to his teenage son. They finished their meal quickly, and left, with only glares in reply to my words of “bye! Nice meeting you!”

When we left the table that first night, I stopped at the hostess stand and asked to be moved to another table. The hostess asked if there was anything wrong, so I said something like, “we have a small child and our tablemates have made it abundantly clear that we make them uncomfortable.”

The next night we were seated at a table all to ourselves and toasted a second chance at a relaxing dinner.

On the flip side, my husband and I made friends with our tablemates on one cruise back in the early 2000s and have stayed in touch for about 15 years now. We even made arrangements to cruise again with each other.

Have you ever not liked your table mates??

Yep. Once out of 15 cruises. We love the MDR and never skip. The second night when my husband said to me, let's just eat at the buffet I knew what we needed to do. Spoke to the maitred and were moved that very night.