TransAtlantics on Viking - How do they list them?

Ox Fan Cruiser

On the Viking web site:

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/caribbean-americas/index.html

They are labeled with titles: In the Wake of the Vikings; West Indies to Iberia; SanJuan to Spain.

There was one from Lisbon to Miami but this was for the new Viking Sun, which will be doing a world cruise from LA leaving from Miami on Dec 15.

I am on the March 27 ,2018 West Indies to Iberia ETA. Come join us...

Most cruise lines let you search using Transatlantic. Viking doesn't. I found some being part of L O N G world cruises. What is the easiest way to search for the typical 12 - 15 night TAs?

Viking cross-files everything. TAs so far have been from Bergen to Montreal and then returning from the Caribbean to the Med. So, look in Med cruises, Caribbean cruises and Baltic cruises to find TAs. Viking has yet to sail the Pacific and won't be full-swing there until 2019 but they do have one transpacific listed currently.

Are we trying to find something to complain about? A transatlantic cruise has to either start or finish in "The Americas & Caribbean" so that's the only region that needs to be searched. Within the cruises listed there, it is reasonably obvious that if something starts in Lisbon and ends in Miami, or starts in Bergen and ends in Montreal, it is transatlantic.

Are we trying to find something to complain about? A transatlantic cruise has to either start or finish in "The Americas & Caribbean" so that's the only region that needs to be searched. Within the cruises listed there, it is reasonably obvious that if something starts in Lisbon and ends in Miami, or starts in Bergen and ends in Montreal, it is transatlantic.

I'm with you. I enjoy the sense of exploration. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, I'm just saying that if they have a search feature with drop down menu on their web site and they do TAs then they should add Transatlantic to the drop down menu. IMVHO it would increase their sales.

I don’t know, Ox, my first thought was “marketing” - something Viking spends a lot of energy on as you may have noticed. As you’re surfing through all those other cruises to find a TA, you might just find something else you want to do! We’ve just taken the “Wake of the Vikings” - Bergen to Montreal - but I never thought of it as a TA because of all the ports. (It was wonderful and we highly recommend it.). But if you’re wanting a trip with lots of lazy, sunny sea days then Richard’s method makes the most sense.

I don’t know, Ox, my first thought was “marketing” - something Viking spends a lot of energy on as you may have noticed. As you’re surfing through all those other cruises to find a TA, you might just find something else you want to do! We’ve just taken the “Wake of the Vikings” - Bergen to Montreal - but I never thought of it as a TA because of all the ports. (It was wonderful and we highly recommend it.). But if you’re wanting a trip with lots of lazy, sunny sea days then Richard’s method makes the most sense.

Good points, Geosez.

Viking does its marketing to attract travelers, rather than tourists. One way , IMO, is to give forethought and interesting titles to their sailings and connect them to the history of each place.

Here is the lead in for our sailing:

Sail where old & new worlds meet

"Cross oceans and bridge cultures on an enriching trans-Atlantic voyage. Embark in colonial San Juan and call on the Dutch side of St. Martin, ringed by white-sand beaches. Then, head into the Atlantic for a six-day crossing, savoring your elegant ship’s cultural offerings. The Portuguese island of Madeira welcomes you on the other side, followed by explorations of French-inflected Casablanca, and the Spanish cities of Cádiz and Valencia. You will disembark in lively Barcelona.'

I think they put thought into their itineries beyond filling up days in port on a ny particular sailing.

Celebrity , my old cruise line, had become so stuck in a rut with their sailings and the same old ports over and over again.

On the glorious six sea days, they list a point of interest each day on MVJ.

Day 5 : Leif Eriksson first explorer in 1000 to the New World.

Day 7: Christopher Columbus sailed in 1492 on his first voyage of discovery.

Love this cruise line that is proud of their Viking heritage and their historical point of departure . :hearteyes:

Ahhh! Six days on a beautiful ship with nothing to do but enjoy good food (that I don’t have to cook or clean up after), interesting lectures, classical music everywhere, friendly folks to get to know — did I mention the beautiful ship? Heaven! :halo:

Ahhh! Six days on a beautiful ship with nothing to do but enjoy good food (that I don’t have to cook or clean up after), interesting lectures, classical music everywhere, friendly folks to get to know — did I mention the beautiful ship? Heaven! :halo:

I was thinking that your post needed some art-work to go with it. ;)

enhance

That was the first place I wanted to see when we boarded. I know we’re getting off topic here but at the end of the cruise it was the little things I remember most fondly: that strip of constellations between the levels of the Explorers Lounge and the starry ceilings in other places, the pillows and blankets everywhere, our room steward replacing my scrap of notepaper bookmark with a Viking one, the lichen garden, the little children peeking out from behind the trees on the wallpaper in the elevator shafts and the really amazing one that I knew about beforehand : birds singing, very quietly, in the public restrooms! Who thinks these things up? O K, I quit!

the little children peeking out from behind the trees on the wallpaper in the elevator shafts and the really amazing one that I knew about beforehand : birds singing, very quietly, in the public restrooms! Who thinks these things up? O K, I quit!

Those were children? I thought they were trolls! Not the bad internet kind, or even the ones that live under bridges, but the nice, Norwegian trolls :) Also, did you notice the crickets outside on the back decks after dark?

I too wish that there were a better search function, but what makes it hard to me are all the whimsically named cruises. That's going to be a struggle once all 10 ships are in the water. There are other websites that can't be named here because they're cruise travel agents that list the cruises either by date or type (aka transatlantic) or both, and they can be great cruise search engines no matter where you buy your cruise.

Most cruise lines let you search using Transatlantic. Viking doesn't. I found some being part of L O N G world cruises. What is the easiest way to search for the typical 12 - 15 night TAs?

I’d say it’s because Viking would prefer to be unlike most cruise lines. It seems that they are quite successful in that effort and that’s one of the things that makes me love them [emoji7]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’d say it’s because Viking would prefer to be unlike most cruise lines. It seems that they are quite successful in that effort and that’s one of the things that makes me love them [emoji7]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums