travel insurance question

glituner32

Hi guys question.

I am sailing on the first sailing on Adventure of the seas after drydock. If for some reason RCCL ends up canceling the cruise I know they will refund me my money but what about Airfare that I bought on my own. I normally buy trip insurance third party through insuremytrip.comm. They told me that None of their policy's cover airfare if cruise line cancels

I'm guessing the only way to cover is buying airfare through royal? or what about buying insurance through the airline itself?

What are my options.

Thanks

I can’t speak specifically to your insurer but I had a potential trip cancellation last year so I did a lot of research. The one thing I found was that my Chase Shapphire credit card provided trip cancellation insurance provided the trip was paid for with the card. For me that included the airfare with Southwest, should I have needed to cancel. We were fortunate that we did not need to cancel the trip (although the sad event happened a month later) .

So I will just suggest you research your credit card benefits if you used one to make your air purchase. We were fortunate. Turns out the benefits on our card are as good or better than most trip cancellation insurance you can buy.

Good luck

If the cruiseline cancels your sailing, they will almost always cover the change fee charged by the airline to change your tickets.

Had a client on Adventure during the period that ended up being the drydock. Even though they did not choose one of the protected sailings, they were refunded the change fees after submission of the receipt from the airlines.

Buy through the airline itself or buy refundable tickets from the airline.

The cruise is nothing more than a hotel that floats and moves in the water. A trip to Vegas is the same as a cruise except the hotel moves.

If your Vegas hotel goes up in flames and the hotel cancels your reservation, you think the airline really cares? The airline only gets you to Vegas and back home. That's it.

Now, take that info to a cruise. The airline has nothing to do with why you want to go somewhere. They are just contracted to get you there.

I'm a bit confused...I purchase 3rd party travel ins. even when it just involves flights. :confused::confused:

I believe what the OP wants is some sort of insurance that will cover their flight expenses if the cruise is cancelled. I don't think the cancellation of the cruise is a covered reason with 3rd party insurers.

I'm guessing that if they bought air through Air2Sea and insurance through Royal, then the cancellation fo the cruise would cover the cost of the flight.

I am confused like some others...why would a third-party trip insurer not cover a cancelled cruise for any costs you could not recover from the cruise line or airline? obviously the insurer is not going to cover any refundable costs

You would have to look at the list of covered reasons for the particular policy. They are usually limited to things like sickness or inury, financial default, weather causing a delay of 24 hours, strike, etc.

If you purchase third party insurance you can most definitely get policies that cover your air.

For the cruise lines insurance I would read the policy. I don't see how it would cover the air unless as you say you buy your air through RCI but again I would verify this with the insurance company.

Keith

You would have to look at the list of covered reasons for the particular policy. They are usually limited to things like sickness or inury, financial default, weather causing a delay of 24 hours, strike, etc.

We agree with you Bob . Yes ,it is very important to know what the insurance covers & doesn't cover .Most people never read the fine print :(

Yes.

Another reason that's often not covered (but happens a lot) is delays caused by mechanical failure.

I have two policies for two different cruises. Neither would cover lost expenses from the Cruise line canceling (unless weather related).

Trying to help my mom with insurance for her trip. She's booked on Symphony of the Seas out of Barcelona in April 2018. She has air booked through Air2Sea. The price of the cruisecare insurance didn't seem to go up when she added the flights, it's actually quite reasonable. They are flying to Spain a day early and will be spending one night there. Does the insurance start the day they flight out ?

I know Royal's coverage isn't great, although the price is good. What's the catch? Does it cover the flights? I think the insurance was $208 total for two, early 70s in age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk