Booking After Final Payment Date

cltnccruisers

In a year or so we will be in a position to decide today that we want to take a cruise in a few weeks. I've read some comments that prices tend to drop once a cruise reaches final payment date. First, is this true? Second, can one find out the final payment date without going through the booking process?

In a year or so we will be in a position to decide today that we want to take a cruise in a few weeks. I've read some comments that prices tend to drop once a cruise reaches final payment date. First, is this true? Second, can one find out the final payment date without going through the booking process?
Final payment date is easy. It's 90 days before it sails. From what I've read, prices in general do drop but there are a lot of different factors that will determine how much (or if any at all).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Usually there are some great price drops after final payment date which is now 90 days before cruise date (used to be 75). The Tuesday specials are a good place to start looking but often those are guarantee cabins with no choice of stateroom. Of course, choice of staterooms is more limited closer to sailing date but if you're not too picky about where you're located on the ship, the deals can be well worth it. We found a 12 night Med cruise in May 2016 for $999 for a Concierge Class cabin. No perks but at that price, we could pay for our own wine! Have fun searching for that great last minute deal!!

Booking after final payment can be a good deal or not. If it is a cruise you really would like to take I wouldn’t wait until after final payment.

Our next 2 cruises hit final payment this month. The first was sold out before final payment and that hasn’t changed- no cabins available 3 weeks post final. The 2nd hit final payment a couple of days ago- currently only 4 suites available, all priced higher than we booked at 18 months ago.

On the other hand we just got a good deal after final payment on Royal for a 7 night Caribbean cruise. I think the post final payment deals may be better on the Caribbean or Alaska where there are a lot of ships and reasonable air fare.

The supply/demand related price changes are not all that predictable and may depend on the itinerary. Some itineraries are infrequent (e.g. transpacific and some Asian cruises) and the scarcity tends to drive prices up rather than down. So waiting for a price drop is fine if you are willing to shop around and be very happy if you find something but not too disappointed if you do not.

And of course it helps to be looking for a cruise out of a port that you can drive to; airline prices tend to rise with shorter lead times.

I expect we would only do this for Caribbean cruises. As it tuns out , we have a Silhouette cruise out of Miami in March. I believe final payment date is Dec 11. While I won't try to change anything it does present an opportunity to check pricing in that window against what we paid.

Thanks for all the responses.