Very reduced fees on Jewel out of San Juan!

We had a longstanding reservation on the April 1st Jewel cruise. The price has drastically dropped on the past weeks and we have constantly been calling in to get the price adjustment. Final payment isn’t until Jan. 1st.

We yesterday took advantage of a Balcony Guarantee for about $1200 Canadian Dollars (taxesin) plus $100us OBC. Don’t know what that is in US$ but must be pretty cheap!

We did this exact cruise last year, great ship. San Juan cruises are running, actually we will be spending an extra week in a condo there.

We’re heading there on 12/9 for a 12/10 trip in the Jewel. Unfortunately, you’re not able to get the lower rate after final payment. If it’s before the final payment then go for it!!!

We missed out on this. If you can, definitely take advantage of the lower rate.

Hotels are up and running for the most part. I’ve been in touch with a bunch - back ups, etc. Almost all are no longer on a generator as well from what they’ve shared with me.

For those considering or going, book at Hotel Miramar if you need a place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a longstanding reservation on the April 1st Jewel cruise. The price has drastically dropped on the past weeks and we have constantly been calling in to get the price adjustment. Final payment isn’t until Jan. 1st.

We yesterday took advantage of a Balcony Guarantee for about $1200 Canadian Dollars (taxesin) plus $100us OBC. Don’t know what that is in US$ but must be pretty cheap!

We did this exact cruise last year, great ship. San Juan cruises are running, actually we will be spending an extra week in a condo there.

Fellow Ontarian here! Glad to hear that you were able to get a great price for your verandah stateroom, conversion right now works out to $933 USD :)

Which airline are you looking to fly with? I only asked because numerous Canadian airlines had recently cancelled direct flights to San Juan, Air Canada in particular from October through April. I was actually looking at booking a Southern Caribbean cruise and using my Aeroplan points, but no can do :( You may have some luck with Air Transat who is expecting to resume one flight a week from Toronto in February 2018.

Edited by accio_7
additional info

I wonder if people are shying away from cruises out of San Juan because of the hurricane damage. We're booked on Adventure for March 2nd and prices have come down on that cruise quite a bit too. Just last night we moved from an oceanview cabin on deck 2 to a corner aft balcony cabin on deck 8. The balcony was $1 less than what we had originally paid for the oceanview.

I wonder if people are shying away from cruises out of San Juan because of the hurricane damage. We're booked on Adventure for March 2nd and prices have come down on that cruise quite a bit too. Just last night we moved from an oceanview cabin on deck 2 to a corner aft balcony cabin on deck 8. The balcony was $1 less than what we had originally paid for the oceanview.

I think that's a good possiblity. I think a good percentage of people like to come in a day or two before the cruise, and are uncertain of hotel availability now.

The San Juan cruises are indeed very cheap for the upcoming months, so much so that when I looked into airfare, it was more than the actual cruise, per person. Inside guarantee came to $423 a person in February, but my flights would be over $500. Still not bad considering the whole picture, but I've never paid that for flights to there before.

The San Juan cruises are indeed very cheap for the upcoming months, so much so that when I looked into airfare, it was more than the actual cruise, per person. Inside guarantee came to $423 a person in February, but my flights would be over $500. Still not bad considering the whole picture, but I've never paid that for flights to there before.

We found the same issues with high SJU flight prices. Our flight from San Juan back to STL cost us more than the flight from STL to Italy.

I think the big issue is the misconception that hotels are not open. Many are. Many are also open to the public and are not housing FEMA/relief workers as they were not included. I’ll report back when I’m head there next week, but don’t be hesitant to go. They rely on tourism dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's a good possiblity. I think a good percentage of people like to come in a day or two before the cruise, and are uncertain of hotel availability now.

I always book 3 or 4 hotels several months in advance when prices are low and there is no money required to hold the room. This gives me options of where I want to stay. So far only one of the hotels has cancelled my reservation. That would be the Holiday Inn Express in the Condado area. I'm hoping that most hotels will be back on their feet and accepting tourists by the time we sail in March.

I always book 3 or 4 hotels several months in advance when prices are low and there is no money required to hold the room. This gives me options of where I want to stay. So far only one of the hotels has cancelled my reservation. That would be the Holiday Inn Express in the Condado area. I'm hoping that most hotels will be back on their feet and accepting tourists by the time we sail in March.

Are you calling the local number of the hotels? I've read reports where people have reservations with the corporate website, but the local hotel has cancelled them.

We found the same issues with high SJU flight prices. Our flight from San Juan back to STL cost us more than the flight from STL to Italy.

We booked our flights a couple of months ago at what I thought were good rates. We booked for $460 round trip which is $100 less than we paid for our last trip there in 2014. I keep checking flights just to see what's out there and if I had waited, we could book today for $385 round trip. I would not be surprised to see them continue to drop in the next couple of months.

We booked our flights a couple of months ago at what I thought were good rates. We booked for $460 round trip which is $100 less than we paid for our last trip there in 2014. I keep checking flights just to see what's out there and if I had waited, we could book today for $385 round trip. I would not be surprised to see them continue to drop in the next couple of months.

I'd be happy with $460 round trip. We ended up paying around $480 for one-way!

Are you calling the local number of the hotels? I've read reports where people have reservations with the corporate website, but the local hotel has cancelled them.

All of my reservations have been through the corporate web sites. I have not tried to call the local numbers yet. We're still 3 months away. I will definitely confirm with the hotel of our choice before I cancel the others.

That's crazy! I was lucky this past February and found flights for under $300 round trip. We also temporarily had a direct flight from PIT on Allegiant, but no more.

Having a hard time passing this up, but I think I must.

Also, I wanted to mention that the hurricane must have really affected bookings because Adventure isn't even there in Jan/Feb due to the dry dock. Seems they are really having capacity issues.

We had booked flights last summer via Westjet from Toronto. This spring Westjet has gone from Sat and Sun flights to just Sat flights. We are staying a week after the cruise in a condo so will fly home Sat instead of Sunday (Westjet gave us a $300 credit due to the change). I believe Air Canada has reduced flights as well.

Definitely this is the most inexpensive cruise we have booked (in a balcony no less!) but I get that while cruise prices have dropped, flights are expensive.

On our April 1sailing there seems to be many cabins available. Wondering if they will offer cheap rates to PR residents to fill the ship?

On our April 1sailing there seems to be many cabins available. Wondering if they will offer cheap rates to PR residents to fill the ship?

They usually would lower the rates for locals, but many locals may still be hurting from the storm and may not want to cruise just yet.

I don't know about that Bob, the ship is full of locals.

There will always be some that were not hurt badly and would still want to cruise. The question is how many and will it be enough (and will they be willing to pay enough) to keep prices up.

If we ever cruise together I owe you and your companion a drink. I have an upcoming Jewel reservation that I made 500 days ago and thought I got a great deal on the coveted corner aft. I kept the same room and the price dropped $700. I now only owe $100

That has to be the reason, ironically the people (cruisers) most effected are already past final payoff date, but likely future sales are down. This is the 2nd time I got a big price due to a disaster. I got a big price drop after the Grandeur fire and the Carnival Triumph dead in the water. Call me an opportunist. Now re-thinking the drink package.

At least I booked my air back in Nov.

There will always be some that were not hurt badly and would still want to cruise. The question is how many and will it be enough (and will they be willing to pay enough) to keep prices up.

I agree. I think most of locals have a lot more to worry about right now than taking a cruise. So sad for those that were affected by this horrible storm. :(

My January 7th cruise is far from full. We are well past final payment, and cannot take advantage of the lowered pricing of course. The only thing I can do now is to keep watch and perhaps score an inexpensive upgrade. Luckily we booked very early for our flight on Jet Blue, which was a good price at that time. :)

Most of the folks we talked to didn't yet have power so taking a cruise was a needed break.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app