Passport Report

Not to start an argument, why can I board and airplane (flying domestically) with a DL only, but yet I need 2 forms of ID to cruise. The risks are still the same.

Short answer: Domestic vs International

You do not need to prove citizenship to fly domestically, to enter the US from an international trip you must prove citizenship.

Side point about domestic air travel: several states are scrambling to provide RealID drivers licenses. The day is coming very soon when domestic travelers who try to use a drivers license that is not RealID compliant will be turned away....or be required to show a passport.

Edit: A passport is actually 2 forms of ID...it proves citizenship and has a photo to verify that it is your passport. The birth certificate/drivers license is an equal to the passport on itineraries that allow it.

Not to start an argument, why can I board and airplane (flying domestically) with a DL only, but yet I need 2 forms of ID to cruise. The risks are still the same.

On a cruise you are leaving the country. Upon return you have to prove you can legally enter the country.

Many DL do not necessary indicate you are a legal resident. Soon you will need an enhanced DL to fly domestically.

Since you are leaving the country (slightly different than flying domestically), you need to prove citizenship, Without a passport, you need the certified copy of the BC to prove citizenship and since the BC will not have your current photo, you need a photo ID to tie the name to the BC.

Since you are leaving the country (slightly different than flying domestically), you need to prove citizenship, Without a passport, you need the certified copy of the BC to prove citizenship and since the BC will not have your current photo, you need a photo ID to tie the name to the BC.

My wife just renewed her DL for the state of NJ and an unusual question is on the renewal form that wasn't there in the past; Are you here legal or illegal? Any of you encountered the same Q?

My wife just renewed her DL for the state of NJ and an unusual question is on the renewal form that wasn't there in the past; Are you here legal or illegal? Any of you encountered the same Q?

Haven't seen that one yet.

Name on birth certificate does not match name on drivers license for many married women. I guess a match on first name and date of birth is good enough?

When we got married we flew to a Caribbean island for our honeymoon, back when you could go there with only a birth certificate. My wife had a plane ticket in her new married name, a drivers license with her previous married last name, and a birth certificate with her maiden name. Three different names on three documents. We had fun at the airport that morning. They said it would have been easier if we had brought our marriage certificate to prove the name change.

Name on birth certificate does not match name on drivers license for many married women. I guess a match on first name and date of birth is good enough? ...

Best to also bring a bridge document, such as marriage certificate.

No.

The value of a US Drivers license is for the photo that identifies you as the person named on the License.

To board the ship at embarkation you have two choices (US citizens):

1. Passport

2. Birth certificate with govt. photo ID (drivers license)

Not totally accurate. If you have an Enhanced DL you can use it as proof of citizenship to enter (land, air, and sea) the US from Mexico, Canada, Bahamas and Caribbean. Problem is only a few states (Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington) and a couple of provinces in Canada (British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec) issue EDL (not to be confused with the REAL ID Act).

There are also States that are issuing something they call "Enhanced" (CA being one) but don't comply yet with the Real ID Act (no proof of citizenship is required to get one), so are useless for anything other than domestic air travel, at least for a few more months.

Edited by jamesr3939