Passport Report

Great! Our question (and don't expect anyone has the answer) is we have to renew our global entry, which expires in july, and trying to figure out how long it will take and whether we need a new in person appointment! Oh well. We start the process in May and hope it's done by the time we fly to Copenhagen for our Serenade TA.

We just did tsa pre check and asked about the renewal process. The person doing it said all of them require a new in person appointment. They want to fingerprint you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

We mailed ours the same day to Irving, TX. Still in process according to my inquiry today.

Just curious where did you send yours to?

I live in Philadelphia and I sent it to Philadelphia.

I guess they take care of the homies first. ;)

Do they just use your old photo or do you have to include a new photo when mailing it in?

It is such a simple process. Getting the new photo is the hardest part.

You fill out the renewal application on line and print it out. But they also have it online. I think that this is what speeds things up. Send in application, photo, check for $110 and old passport.

That's it.

:)

Great! Our question (and don't expect anyone has the answer) is we have to renew our global entry, which expires in july, and trying to figure out how long it will take and whether we need a new in person appointment! Oh well. We start the process in May and hope it's done by the time we fly to Copenhagen for our Serenade TA.

DH has renewed his GE, and did NOT have to have an appointment.

I have a feeling that it’s case by case.

Aha, I just googled and got here: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/frequently-asked-questions

“An interview for program membership renewal may not be necessary. Once you submit your renewal application and fee, check your GOES account periodically for updates on what actions are necessary to complete the renewal process. You will receive an email when your membership status changes.”

I live in Philadelphia and I sent it to Philadelphia.

I guess they take care of the homies first. ;)

Sounds like the Philadelphia office is as quick as wherever we send ours to (from the Seattle area). Quick!

We just did tsa pre check and asked about the renewal process. The person doing it said all of them require a new in person appointment. They want to fingerprint you.

Precheck is different than GE.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I renewed mine, they did require a new appointment, but it was very quick. Rescan passport and retake finger prints. I was in and out in maybe 15 minutes.

The renewal took no time at all, not like the original application.

Next time do Global Entry. $100 versus $85 for Pre-Check, and it includes Pre-Check.

And then you have it if you travel internationally.

Philadelphia office took 3 weeks back in June. Even if you wear normal glasses I was told the picture cannot have you wearing glasses of any kind. That was a change from 9.5 years ago.

Also, do not smile, they will return your package.

This is due to issues with certain countries not wanting smiling photos.

Also, do not smile, they will return your package.

This is due to issues with certain countries not wanting smiling photos.

Apparently long hair can be an issue too. When my wife had her photo taken a couple of months ago, she was advised to have her hair back so her ears were visible. I guess some photos had been returned for that reason.

When I renewed mine, they did require a new appointment, but it was very quick. Rescan passport and retake finger prints. I was in and out in maybe 15 minutes.

The renewal took no time at all, not like the original application.

My wife and I both renewed our Global Entry cards last summer and neither of us was asked to make a new appointment, even though our passports had been renewed the previous year. They never scanned the new passports; apparently they had all the info they needed from the passport authority. I think that they may base the decision on whether to require a new appointment on the date of the most recent passport renewal since the passport authority maintains more data electronically than it used to.

DH has renewed his GE, and did NOT have to have an appointment.

I have a feeling that it’s case by case.

Aha, I just googled and got here: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/frequently-asked-questions

“An interview for program membership renewal may not be necessary. Once you submit your renewal application and fee, check your GOES account periodically for updates on what actions are necessary to complete the renewal process. You will receive an email when your membership status changes.”

Sounds like the Philadelphia office is as quick as wherever we send ours to (from the Seattle area). Quick!

Precheck is different than GE.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know it's different but she said all of them including GE needed new finger prints for renewal.

Next time do Global Entry. $100 versus $85 for Pre-Check, and it includes Pre-Check.

I will next time, we are leaving in 2 weeks and just did it last week. I didn't want to risk it taking long. We got our known traveler number in 4 days though.

But GE includes Pre-Check. :)

Yep. And nexus includes GE and precheck. :)

Or if you’re near Canada or Seattle for the interview, do nexus. $50 and it includes GE and precheck. Free for minors.

I know it's different but she said all of them including GE needed new finger prints for renewal.

Precheck lady was wrong for the programs that aren’t (but yes, still include) precheck. Fingerprints don’t change.

If you look at the precheck renewal info you’ll see that it’s not an actual renewal as you fill out the new application forms again. That’s different than for GE or nexus.

(Get nexus....don’t know why people who can get to an interview spot for it don’t get it....)

Or if you’re near Canada or Seattle for the interview, do nexus. $50 and it includes GE and precheck. Free for minors.

Precheck lady was wrong for the programs that aren’t (but yes, still include) precheck. Fingerprints don’t change.

If you look at the precheck renewal info you’ll see that it’s not an actual renewal as you fill out the new application forms again. That’s different than for GE or nexus.

(Get nexus....don’t know why people who can get to an interview spot for it don’t get it....)

Of course fingerprints don't change but as an educator I have to give mine every 3 years for FBI clearance. She could have been wrong. From the posts here it would appear that it'd random for global entry and is dependent upon something, what that is we don't know.

SENTRI includes GE and TSA also. The pain with SENTRI is there are only a few interview spots and all along the southern border. GE enrollment spots are all over the place.

I'm going to the Post Office and have my picture taken and they will handle the mailing. I wonder how long it will take.

Question/clarification:

My current passport expires in April and my cruise is in late January. RCL info. states that they require a passport, at a minimum, that expires 6 months from the end of cruise.

In addition, they also mention that if a cruise leaves and returns to the same US port all that is needed is some form of govt. identification, eg: Driver License. Other than the need for a passport in case something happens in a foreign port, will RCL let me board the ship if I simply show them my Driver's License.

I'm going to the Post Office and have my picture taken and they will handle the mailing. I wonder how long it will take.

Question/clarification:

My current passport expires in April and my cruise is in late January. RCL info. states that they require a passport, at a minimum, that expires 6 months from the end of cruise.

In addition, they also mention that if a cruise leaves and returns to the same US port all that is needed is some form of govt. identification, eg: Driver License. Other than the need for a passport in case something happens in a foreign port, will RCL let me board the ship if I simply show them my Driver's License.

As long as your passport is valid for the duration of your cruise, you will be fine. The 6-month expiration thing does not apply to closed loop cruises out of the US..

Additionally, if you didn't have your passport with you for a US based closed loop cruise, you would need a certified copy of your birth certificate and a govenment issued photo ID.

will RCL let me board the ship if I simply show them my Driver's License.

No.

The value of a US Drivers license is for the photo that identifies you as the person named on the License.

To board the ship at embarkation you have two choices (US citizens):

1. Passport

2. Birth certificate with govt. photo ID (drivers license)

This is an either/or choice, you do not need both. If you have/use a valid

passport, nothing further is required.

As noted previously, this is for closed loop itineraries from US ports only. It does not apply to European, Pacific or Asian itineraries or large closed loop itineraries like HALs Voyage of the Vikings.

No.

The value of a US Drivers license is for the photo that identifies you as the person named on the License.

To board the ship at embarkation you have two choices (US citizens):

1. Passport

2. Birth certificate with govt. photo ID (drivers license)

This is an either/or choice, you do not need both. If you have/use a valid

passport, nothing further is required.

As noted previously, this is for closed loop itineraries from US ports only. It does not apply to European, Pacific or Asian itineraries or large closed loop itineraries like HALs Voyage of the Vikings.

I guess my primary question was cruising with a passport that has less than 6 months nd being able to embark. In essence, yes and in conjunction with a valid govt. issued id such as driver's license.

Not to start an argument, why can I board and airplane (flying domestically) with a DL only, but yet I need 2 forms of ID to cruise. The risks are still the same.