MSC Seaside vs NCL Getaway sailing

DaCruiseBug

As I read many of the posts and comments you'll see many comparisons with MSC & NCL. Some I have read basically put down the YC on the Seaside versus the NCL Haven etc.

When you compare the two you have to keep one thing in mind...cost!

For example, I booked a YC Deluxe Suite on the Seaside over Halloween 2018.

The cost for 2 people in a YC Deluxe Suite came out to be $3,476 including taxes and fees. (Plus $250 total OBC & Wi-fi package)

A comparable sailing on NCL would be the Getaway also out of Miami over Halloween (their only ship sailing out of Miami to the Caribbean).

We can do 2 comparisons. We can compare a mini-suite and then a Haven Penthouse Suite.

Mini-Suite (MB) -

Unlimited Drink Package & Wi-fi package

Cost = $1,099 per person

Tax = $137.34 per person

Drink package service charge = $124.60

Total = $1,360.94 per person ($2,721.88 total) with $140.00 OBC from NCL

Haven Penthouse Suite (H5) -

All 4 offers - Drink Package / Wi-Fi / $50 Excursion credit / Dining Package

Cost = $2,999 per person

Tax = $137.34 per person

Drink/Dinner package service charge = $138.40

Total = $3,274.74 per person ($6,549.48 total) with $300.00 OBC from NCL

So what's included in each?

With a YC Deluxe Suite I get access to all the YC amenities, free access to the Thermal Suite (Spa), All inclusive drink package which includes mini-bar, free 60 minute massage.

With a mini-suite on NCL you get the unlimited drink package (does not include mini-bar or bottled water). That's it.

With a Penthouse Suite in the Haven you have access to all the Haven amenities and that's it.

The cost of Spa access on NCL is $200 per person whereas on MSC if you're in a YC Suite you get complimentary access. So add that to your price. Also, a 60 minute massage per person is also included...a value of around $300 (for 2 people).

I would probably agree that the Haven rooms are nicer and a little bigger then YC rooms but at what cost? In this case, a Haven Penthouse suite is about 80-90% more expensive then a YC Deluxe Suite. Add in the cost of a Spa pass and you're paying more then double. For what? For 30-40 extra square feet of space? A YC Royal Suite is about the same price as a Haven Penthouse Suite and in that case a Royal Suite is considerably bigger and has it's own Whirlpool on the balcony. I've been on NCL a few times and have visited the Haven. Yes, it's nice. But is it twice as nice as the YC on MSC? I guess i'll find out...

In the meantime keep everything into perspective and look at the bottom line: Value.

A few other things to consider...

The H5 on Getaway is about the same size as a Deluxe YC suite on Seaside but the Getaway balcony is much smaller.

An option on Getaway could be a H6 (aft-facing suite) which will be less expensive than the H5, have a larger balcony than the H5, be 2 rooms (bedroom/living-room) instead of the 1 room H5, have 2 bathrooms vs 1 in the H5, and can sleep 4 vs 3 in the H5. The "downside" is that the H6 is about as far from the Haven complex as possible.

Even so, when I booked Seaside, the H6 on Getaway (Escape won't be in Miami at the time) was more expensive than the Royal Suite on Seaside.

True point.... But other than the drink package..the other amenities (Spa, concierge/butler etc) have little value to me. I would book just for more quiet/less passenger traffic and a dedicated area.

Thats why the Havana experience on Carnival's Vista is perfect for us because we are not big users of the other amenities offered in Haven or YC

Are the massages you got part of a promotion?

I’d be happy to be wrong, but my understanding is that only Aurea packages get the massages.

I just tried looking it up, maybe I read wrong. Looks like you get Spa access but not the massage.

On the bright side MSC did match my Marriott status so that now i'm at Voyagers Club Black status and get a free specialty restaurant and several other perks.

I just tried looking it up, maybe I read wrong. Looks like you get Spa access but not the massage.

On the bright side MSC did match my Marriott status so that now i'm at Voyagers Club Black status and get a free specialty restaurant and several other perks.

Then you'll get 2 bottles of bubbly in your YC cabin - a welcome bottle plus the Black Card benefit bottle. :) (Possibly not together - you could receive the Black Card bottle at any time during the cruise; usually on the second day).

One YC perk that rarely gets mentioned is your choice of newspaper is delivered daily to your room. The concierge will have a list of available titles for you to choose from.

Another 'perk' (which I've never seen discussed) is, if you are booked on an MSC excursion, the front seats of the excursion bus are often reserved for YC guests - though not always! I've seen this from time to time when boarding buses and we had 2 excursions booked on our Meraviglia YC cruise last June when seats had been reserved on one but not on the other.

You pretty much have it compared well. That is why you are seeing so many of us loyal NCL suite people now on MSC. MSC will continue to take guests from NCL Haven. Now MSC could take even more with larger suites including 2BR and more ships in the US. Add with that NCL keeps doing things to drive away loyal customers.

With regard to the Royal Suites though - not really an option as it is very difficult to actually book one.

Then you'll get 2 bottles of bubbly in your YC cabin - a welcome bottle plus the Black Card benefit bottle. :) (Possibly not together - you could receive the Black Card bottle at any time during the cruise; usually on the second day).

One YC perk that rarely gets mentioned is your choice of newspaper is delivered daily to your room. The concierge will have a list of available titles for you to choose from.

Another 'perk' (which I've never seen discussed) is, if you are booked on an MSC excursion, the front seats of the excursion bus are often reserved for YC guests - though not always! I've seen this from time to time when boarding buses and we had 2 excursions booked on our Meraviglia YC cruise last June when seats had been reserved on one but not on the other.

We took a MSC excursion on Divinia recently because it was actually cheaper than booking directly and no separate seats on bus - not that it would really matter though as it was just to a resort.

We took a MSC excursion on Divinia recently because it was actually cheaper than booking directly and no separate seats on bus - not that it would really matter though as it was just to a resort.

The seats were even assigned to us specifically with our cabin number stated on the notice.

TBH, I don't agree with the policy and get irked when I see the 'Reserved' signs on the seats. After all, we all pay the same for the excursions. And I'm saying that as a recipient of the benefit!

You pretty much have it compared well. That is why you are seeing so many of us loyal NCL suite people now on MSC. MSC will continue to take guests from NCL Haven. Now MSC could take even more with larger suites including 2BR and more ships in the US. Add with that NCL keeps doing things to drive away loyal customers.

With regard to the Royal Suites though - not really an option as it is very difficult to actually book one.

There's not that many Royal Suites and that's why it's difficult to book one. I think based on bookings you'll see MSC possibly add more Royal Suites on their upcoming ships. I would also like MSC to make the Whirlpool Suite a little fancier and make it a YC suite as well. They can easily charge another $500-600 per person and people will book it.

• 2 months later...

I have a question cruisers! I am booking a solo cruise for a big Bday this Summer. I've narrowed it down to these 2 ships. Even though NCL Getaway has the solo studio cabins, I can get an ocean view cabin cheaper on MSC Seaside, by a little. Which ship would afford me the better experience as a solo fun outgoing traveler?

'DCB - Some believe there's been a noticeable migration of NCL cruisers taking the dip and trying the MSC Yacht Club versus the NCL Haven. To each their own; we read the review of both. Really like both. The simple fact of the matter is that we can usually go for 2-weeks in the Yacht Club on their newest ships that for just a bit more for the Haven for 1-week. Again, we really like both.

Also, although we love RCCL's Oasis Class and Quantum Class ships; neither really offers the club-within-a-club private amenities as does the NCL Haven or the MSC Yacht Club.

Here is a thread after we first tried MSC Divina last year (not considered a newer ship compared to the NCL Breakaway and + Class ships) in the Yacht Club. It should give you a more detailed perspective of what we thought about the comparison.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2495890

Some other comments.

As I read many of the posts and comments you'll see many comparisons with MSC & NCL. Some I have read basically put down the YC on the Seaside versus the NCL Haven etc. We haven't read too much of any "put down the YC on Seaside," in fact, we've seen an emphasis that the reviews of the Seaside "experience" seems to potentially generate 2 separate paths - Yacht Club passengers and the rest of the ships' class categories.

When you compare the two you have to keep one thing in mind...cost!

Very true. We'll add, the AMENITIES of the private, dedicated pool, hot tubs, bar, mini-buffet, loungers, showers in the Yacht Club is so appealing. The Yacht Club private lounge is stunning and has the best forward view for almost all in the Yacht Club at any time. The same now for the private restaurant, terraced over the lounge; your choice of B, L & D (whatever you order, how you want it, whether it is on the menu or not).

For example, I booked a YC Deluxe Suite on the Seaside over Halloween 2018.

The cost for 2 people in a YC Deluxe Suite came out to be $3,476 including taxes and fees. (Plus $250 total OBC & Wi-fi package)

A comparable sailing on NCL would be the Getaway also out of Miami over Halloween (their only ship sailing out of Miami to the Caribbean).

We can do 2 comparisons. We can compare a mini-suite and then a Haven Penthouse Suite.

Mini-Suite (MB) -

Unlimited Drink Package & Wi-fi package

Cost = $1,099 per person

Tax = $137.34 per person

Drink package service charge = $124.60

Total = $1,360.94 per person ($2,721.88 total) with $140.00 OBC from NCL

Haven Penthouse Suite (H5) -

All 4 offers - Drink Package / Wi-Fi / $50 Excursion credit / Dining Package

Cost = $2,999 per person

Tax = $137.34 per person

Drink/Dinner package service charge = $138.40

Total = $3,274.74 per person ($6,549.48 total) with $300.00 OBC from NCL

So what's included in each?

With a YC Deluxe Suite I get access to all the YC amenities, free access to the Thermal Suite (Spa), All inclusive drink package which includes mini-bar, free 60 minute massage.

With a mini-suite on NCL you get the unlimited drink package (does not include mini-bar or bottled water). That's it.

We don't believe it includes the premium coffee (not sure).

With a Penthouse Suite in the Haven you have access to all the Haven amenities and that's it.

The cost of Spa access on NCL is $200 per person whereas on MSC if you're in a YC Suite you get complimentary access. So add that to your price. Also, a 60 minute massage per person is also included...a value of around $300 (for 2 people).

I would probably agree that the Haven rooms are nicer and a little bigger then YC rooms but at what cost? In this case, a Haven Penthouse suite is about 80-90% more expensive then a YC Deluxe Suite. Add in the cost of a Spa pass and you're paying more then double. For what? For 30-40 extra square feet of space? A YC Royal Suite is about the same price as a Haven Penthouse Suite and in that case a Royal Suite is considerably bigger and has it's own Whirlpool on the balcony. I've been on NCL a few times and have visited the Haven. Yes, it's nice. But is it twice as nice as the YC on MSC? I guess i'll find out...

No, not twice as nice. Actually, we prefer the Yacht Club over the Haven on a "if the cost was the same" basis also. Just us.

In the meantime keep everything into perspective and look at the bottom line: Value.

We are still booking NCL and RCCL also. A DCL is likely as we have grand little ones 4 and 6 that are close to ready (and they're experienced WDW (Yacht Club resort of all places :o). We are also still booking MSC in 2019 on Seaside (Yacht Club) and are intently looking at itineraries of their new ships and trying to make addtional bookings. The Yacht Club pricing is inching up, as we track all of our cruises (just like you did with factoring in gratuities, UBP, etc.).

Now MSC could take even more with larger suites including 2BR and more ships in the US.

Absolutely NOT!!! MSC, listen to this: DON'T ADD MORE BIG SUITES TO THE YACHT CLUB!!!

Lots of people think that there are too many children in the Haven and we don't want that to happen in the Yacht Club too. I like children but running and screaming children in the Yacht Club, no thanks.

Absolutely NOT!!! MSC, listen to this: DON'T ADD MORE BIG SUITES TO THE YACHT CLUB!!!

Lots of people think that there are too many children in the Haven and we don't want that to happen in the Yacht Club too. I like children but running and screaming children in the Yacht Club, no thanks.

If MSC had considered bigger suites, we'd have seen them introduced on either Meraviglia class or Seaside class, SC. For the foreseeable future, at least, you can rest assured that YC will continue to be as we know it.

Any stateroom that sleeps more than 2 has the potential for children. The size of the suite can get bigger without increasing the likelihood of children since...they would have been there, anyway.

If MSC added more "living-room with separate bedroom" suites to the Yacht Club, I don't believe that it would be a bad thing.

After the 2br "Grand Suite" debacle, MSC may never offer a 2 bedroom stateroom again.

Any stateroom that sleeps more than 2 has the potential for children. The size of the suite can get bigger without increasing the likelihood of children since...they would have been there, anyway.

If MSC added more "living-room with separate bedroom" suites to the Yacht Club, I don't believe that it would be a bad thing.

After the 2br "Grand Suite" debacle, MSC may never offer a 2 bedroom stateroom again.

I should like if they added more bigger suites without more beds.

No problem with "living-room with separate bedroom" as long as they aren't designed to accomodate families.