OBC, what to do with it?

jabrown40

I didn't realize the amount of OBC I have for our cruise on Viking Sea in February! While pleasantly surprised, now I'm wondering what I could use it for. I have already booked the shore excursions, and I only paid extra for one. (I have two private tours planned, and will keep those.) I also planned to use the amount I originally had for upgrading to the silver spirits package. But I have a lot more. There were a couple of posts indicating people used their OBC for gratuities, anyone know if this is still true? What else does Viking charge extra for? We are not spa people, that really doesn't appeal.

I'm in the same conundrum. We plan on using the obc from our TA for gratuities and then whats left of that and our Viking obc for silver spirits and for The Kitchen. Hopefully that will use it up and I won't find myself buying drinks for everyone on the last evening the way it was on our river cruise!

I received a nice sum from my TA, so can it be used for gratuities or not? Are there other cooking classes, wine tastings? Really didn’t want to spend a day in port with the chef, but would love a cooking class on a sea day.

I just asked Viking yesterday and they said you MAY NOT use OBC for gratuities. We plan to use ours on paid shore excursions booked after we get on the ship.

I was told by my TA that some time this spring, they will be allowing guests to use OBC to pay for shore excursions ahead of time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had a good amount of OBC last time on Viking, which is very rare for us in the UK.

Thought it would be a good idea to spend it in the shop. However if you do the same then if you see something you like early in the cruise then buy it at once. They seemed to have very little back up and several things I liked that were on display were the only ones onboard. Once they were gone they were gone.

We had a good amount of OBC last time on Viking, which is very rare for us in the UK.

Thought it would be a good idea to spend it in the shop. However if you do the same then if you see something you like early in the cruise then buy it at once. They seemed to have very little back up and several things I liked that were on display were the only ones onboard. Once they were gone they were gone.

Thanks for the tip.

I hear they have some very nice sweaters and other clothing in their shop.

I just asked Viking yesterday and they said you MAY NOT use OBC for gratuities. We plan to use ours on paid shore excursions booked after we get on the ship.

I was told by my TA that some time this spring, they will be allowing guests to use OBC to pay for shore excursions ahead of time.

When you asked Viking did you clarify it was OBC being provided by a Travel Agent? My TA has confirmed to me that we can use it for gratuities, that it is only Viking provided OBC (in our case, offered and accepted to keep us from canceling after price of our cruise feel significantly) that can't be used for the service charge.

When you asked Viking did you clarify it was OBC being provided by a Travel Agent? My TA has confirmed to me that we can use it for gratuities, that it is only Viking provided OBC (in our case, offered and accepted to keep us from canceling after price of our cruise feel significantly) that can't be used for the service charge.

No that distinction was not addressed. I didn't realize that they treated them differently.

My TA also told me the OBC could not be used for gratuities but the OBC was from Viking so maybe that explains it.

This is confusing.

We sailed from NYC to San Juan on the Viking Sea in October, 2017, and received a large amount of On Board Credit (all from Viking.) During the voyage, several other cruisers advised us that Viking had changed their policy and our OBC could be used for crew member gratuities. We confirmed that with the chief financial officer on board (the purser?) and settled up our charges at the end with the balance of funds in our OBC account. Others on our cruise did the same.

I don't know if that was a permanent change in Viking's policy or if it was something unique to cruises to and in the Caribbean on the Sea because of the adjusted cruise itineraries due to the hurricane damage to many of our ports of call. Our cruise was the first one that went to Puerto Rico this fall.

I have OBC from Viking, but the Amount from my TA would more than cover the gratuities. I will be on the Sea, and also sailing in the Caribbean so perhaps maybe somebody from Viking could jump in with an explanation?

Confirmation and clarification should come directly from Viking; it is their policy, so let them speak for themselves. Write to them at tellus@vikingcruises.com, explain your situation and ask for clarification.

You could use for drinks not included in Silver Spirits--Torshavn premium drinks or a special bottle of wine with dinner.

But it sounds as if you have a large amount to spend.

If you have friends onboard you could purchase their spa visits or gift shop purchases and they could reimburse you.

Except.... I just looked at the rest of my emails and found this response from the email I sent Viking -

Today at 5:28 PM

Thank you for reaching out with your question.

I am happy to confirm that Shipboard Credit can now be applied toward gratuities aboard our ocean vessels.

Please feel free to reach out should you have any questions before departure. We are looking forward to welcoming you aboard Viking Sea in February!

Sincerely,

Show original message

Reply Reply to All Forward More

Edited by CC Help Jenn
removed employee contact info

If you have quite a bit OBC, consider using it for jewelry. We did, getting a reasonable price on a good necklace. (We had over $800 OBC.)

I was under the impression one couldn't use it for gratuities, but I think one can at then end use it for any balance including gratuities.

Unfortunately, you cannot use OBC for gratuities. You can use it for mixed drinks (or wine/beer outside of meals), items in the gift shops, as well as spa activities.

We got off the Viking Sun November 24th - we were on the first trip to Cuba. We were able to use our OBC for gratuities. I specifically asked about this and was told that the policy recently changed.

Mary Lou

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the tip.

I hear they have some very nice sweaters and other clothing in their shop.

Yes their shops are quite nice! I’m sure you won’t have a problem spending the credit !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes their shops are quite nice! I’m sure you won’t have a problem spending the credit !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, quite nice but there is nothing in them that I want. Unless, I can use the OBC to pay for things that I would normally use -- gratuities, laundry, bar -- I'd rather not be given an OBC.