Currency question

luv2cruz62

We will be sailing a B2B East/West Caribbean in the new year, do all the ports take American money? (I know..probably a silly question...just one of those I thought of while laying in bed when the brain doesn't shut off at night...lol)

Most do take $USD, but some don't. What ports are you visiting?

We have had our itinerary changed - Martinique is on our cruise.

From what I've read on these boards, folks there mostly prefer Euros. I've read that some will accept $USD, but we will make sure we get a few Euros from the bank before we go, just in case.

Every Caribbean port accepts US$, even the western Caribbean ports in Mexico and Central America. The only exception I have found is Martinique. The vendors near the pier accept US$, but if you go away from the pier you will probably need to use a credit card.

We have been to most if not all the ports in the Caribbean that Princess calls on and they have all taken our USD. The two things to keep in mind is that they will not accept torn, well worn or USD that has been marked on nor will they accept large bills like a $50. The other caveat is that they may return your change in their currency so be sure to take a lot of small bills.

If you choose to use a credit card be aware of what your card holder charges for a foreign transaction besides the usual exchange rate. Some cards can charge 3% or more for foreign transactions while some do not change anything. Also be aware that can credit card data can be and is stolen resulting in large charges to your credit card bill. Be sure to monitor your bill. Last don't forget to tell your credit card issuer that you will be traveling to specific islands or your card may be declined.