Bringing Sweetener Onboard

I only use the real stuff, which is not offered on the ships. Before my first cruise I asked Royal if I could bring my own maple syrup for breakfast, and was told yes, but there would be a corkage charge (!!!!!), which was ridiculously high. I took a chance, and brought a jar of creamed maple syrup. The only issue I had with that was proving that it wasn't a candle. No one questioned me using it in the MDR.

First time I've heard of a maple syrup corkage charge.

My way of going "low carb" is to only pour it on waffles (and if you substitute club soda for some of the milk, you get a lighter, and crisper waffle), and not the heavier pancakes. :D

Fascinating. And how much of the milk should be substituted? Or is it a trial and error process? Does it work with waffle mix?

Being "from away" (the Maine term for someone not born here), and despite having lived here for 40 years, I'll never be a "Mainer" (native born) until my dying day (though my kids are all Mainers), I probably get worked up about our great state more than Mainers.

So where in Maine are you from? We live not far from Portland.

There should be no problem bringing a new, sealed bottle of syrup onboard. But, please, call it pancake syrup, or simply syrup, but don't call these products made from cellulose gum "maple syrup". If you've ever tasted the real thing, you'd never go back to industrial corn sludge.

^what Cheng Said.

Fascinating. And how much of the milk should be substituted? Or is it a trial and error process? Does it work with waffle mix?

I do about 3/4 milk and 1/4 club soda, but I use skim milk, so if you're using 2% or whole, you may want to change the mixture.

So where in Maine are you from? We live not far from Portland.

Portland.

The question was answered in posts 2, 4, and 5.

Yes....posts 2,4, and 5 did give answers. However, my post was number 16 and posts 6,8-12, and 14 did not provide any answers. They just questioned

/criticized the OP's terminology on "maple syrup". Not trying to "list" anyone....just explaining my comment.

The other posts were by Clarea and he is always helpful and very thoughtful in his posts.

I miss the days when all CC threads were friendly and helpful without posters feeling the need to criticize each other....or try to show how much more knowledgeable one poster was over another. I learned so much very helpful info in my early days on CC. I miss the days when anyone could ask for help/info and the other posters were glad to help in a friendly, non-entitled manner.

Back then the threads were actually informative rather than just filled with criticism and chatter.

Has the grandchild arrived yet?

Yes....posts 2,4, and 5 did give answers. However, my post was number 16 and posts 6,8-12, and 14 did not provide any answers. They just questioned

/criticized the OP's terminology on "maple syrup". Not trying to "list" anyone....just explaining my comment.

The other posts were by Clarea and he is always helpful and very thoughtful in his posts.

I miss the days when all CC threads were friendly and helpful without posters feeling the need to criticize each other....or try to show how much more knowledgeable one poster was over another. I learned so much very helpful info in my early days on CC. I miss the days when anyone could ask for help/info and the other posters were glad to help in a friendly, non-entitled manner.

Back then the threads were actually informative rather than just filled with criticism and chatter.

He'll be two months old on Saturday. Thanks for asking.

Aren't you on Adventure right now????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You’re telling me there was a time that people were only nice on this site? I’ve been here for 8 years and it’s been 8 years of nasty & nice all mixed up together...

You’re telling me there was a time that people were only nice on this site? I’ve been here for 8 years and it’s been 8 years of nasty & nice all mixed up together...

Wasn't too bad 16 yrs ago. I think in general social media has gotten nastier since then. Back in the late 80's as a school kid I used to dial up BBSs with my modem. We'd have some arguments from time to time but in general it was a calmer, better place.

About the syrup, someone just brought us a 3-pack sampler... light, dark, and amber. Never knew there were different colors. Dark was good but I could see it being more of an acquired taste.

Great thread guys and gals! I'm reading this at 7 am over my first coffee of the day and I getting a craving for some pancakes and I haven't had pancakes in years! :D

We've got half a bottle of Canada # 1 grade light in the fridge from 2013. (It was way, way in the back) Will it still be good?

Great thread guys and gals! I'm reading this at 7 am over my first coffee of the day and I getting a craving for some pancakes and I haven't had pancakes in years! :D

We've got half a bottle of Canada # 1 grade light in the fridge from 2013. (It was way, way in the back) Will it still be good?

Ours never last that long, but for sure it will be fine. No expiration dates on maple syrup. Sometimes it will start to "sugar" like old honey, but warming it will restore the syrup. While I haven't had to do this, ever, they tell you that even if mold starts to grow on it, if you boil it and skim, it will be fine.

Yes! When I joined 14 years ago it was a fantastic place to chat. You could actually ask questions and get thoughtful / helpful answers. Folks didn't "nick pick" wording in your question. People didn't hijack the thread to other topics. People didn't criticize your questions or your answers. People simply shared their experiences realizing that everyone might have different answers/experiences....but no negativity about the differences. Folks were happy to share their info without "entitlement" or "one upping" each other.

Wasn't too bad 16 yrs ago. I think in general social media has gotten nastier since then. Back in the late 80's as a school kid I used to dial up BBSs with my modem. We'd have some arguments from time to time but in general it was a calmer, better place.

About the syrup, someone just brought us a 3-pack sampler... light, dark, and amber. Never knew there were different colors. Dark was good but I could see it being more of an acquired taste.

Ours never last that long, but for sure it will be fine. No expiration dates on maple syrup. Sometimes it will start to "sugar" like old honey, but warming it will restore the syrup. While I haven't had to do this, ever, they tell you that even if mold starts to grow on it, if you boil it and skim, it will be fine.

Thanks for the info. Should I call you chefcheng now? :D

I would put it in checked baggage! I'm not sure if it was on Royal or a different cruise line , but we had a bottle of unopened aloe vera juice my hubby takes for acid reflux and they wouldn't let him take it on ! $13 down the drain! We have taken that and raw honey on in our checked luggage,

Its a food product and a liquid and wifey thought maybe they would think we were trying to sneak alcohol on.....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Funny story. My son and husband cannot have anything with corn syrup. They like pancakes (this is a story from several years ago, so you don’t get confused with hubby’s diet changes I mention later) and real maple syrup. Most restaurants don’t have real maple syrup. So we brought a smallish bottle to our local breakfast place. I was embarrassed about it and was trying to be covert. And halfway through the meal the server came over and asked if hubby and I were spiking our coffees with whiskey because that’s what she thought she was seeing.

Could be a legit concern!

If you've ever tasted the real thing, you'd never go back to industrial corn sludge.

While agree with being specific about terminology, the bit I quoted isn’t always true. My mom was raised in upstate NY and so I was raised with real maple syrup. And I HATED it. My dad used aunt jemimas or eggo brand syrups. Which I loooooved. It’s been rough the last ten years as we determined DS’s problems with corn syrup bc I cant have my AJ/eggo unless I’m on my own.

I’ve gotten more used to the real stuff, but it still doesn’t totally taste GOOD to me.

Wifey just loves the maple syrup so she had to move to a vegan vegetable based, monk fruit sweetened "maple flavored" syrup to help with the carb cutting. She likes it in her teas and coffee.

Ok ya just gotta explain. :) What’s the vegan part all about? Neither real nor fake maple syrups aren’t vegan. So why that part of the disclaimer? Just to differentiate from honey?

And is it monkfruit sweetened or stevia?

DH has had to go GRAIN free and added-sugar-free, based on suggestions from his GO and endocrinologist, and it’s working well for him to reduce inflammation in his body and lower his blood sugar and he’s dropped a terrific amount of weight. But he really dislikes stevia. And he/we won’t do the other fake sweeteners. But if this is actually monkfruit sweetened...

That said he found some beet sugar cubes that he boils down into a syrup and he can use a small amount of that and it doesn’t mess with his blood sugar at all.

I'm not judging, but not sure how I understand how real maple syrup isn't vegan/vegetable based?

:)

I’ve decided they are differentiating from honey. Or that’s just how the stuff is marketed and he’s just quoting. :)

I’ve been here longer and I agree. Like the time my son was called a “brat” because he has coughed when accidentally walking through cigarette smoke. That’s when he was a toddler, and he’s rapidly approaching 14 now...

This is another "to each their own" topic when it comes to maple syrup. My family loves pancakes, french toast, etc. I was up in the French River, Ontario, Canada and purchased a gallon of pure maple syrup. Thought I would be a hero. Everyone, including DW spit it out and demanded that I bring back the Aunt Jemima's. Ended up pouring the real stuff down the slop sink.

To pour it out was such a waste. Give it away to someone who would have appreciated it.

But it’s not an easy taste to get used to when you’re used to the sweet sweet sweet over the top SWEET of maple flavored syrups. Doesn’t mean it’s bad. Just means our taste buds are immature and overwhelmed by the American SWEET diet.

Dang now i want waffles with some nasty maple flavored syrup....

me too, me too.....