Bringing Sweetener Onboard

My wife has been kicking the carbs and sugar and doing a fantastic job at sticking with it.

Needless to say this cruise will be her biggest challenge.

She has been bringing her own sweetener in the form of truvia and sugarfree (stevia sweetened) maple syrup.

Not worried about getting the sugar packets on the ship but she is concerned about the maple syrup as its expensive and if they dont allow us to bring it on the ship we will have to throw it out.

So question is - Can she bring a bottle of maple syrup on the ship? Or no?

Thanks!

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

There should be no problem bringing a new, sealed bottle of syrup onboard. But, please, call it pancake syrup, or simply syrup, but don't call these products made from cellulose gum "maple syrup". If you've ever tasted the real thing, you'd never go back to industrial corn sludge.

Its a food product and a liquid and wifey thought maybe they would think we were trying to sneak alcohol on.....

I would put it in her carry on so you don't end up in the naughty room. Bring a new, unopened bottle and you will have no issues. I saw them dumping out open containers when we boarded in Bayonne.

There should be no problem bringing a new, sealed bottle of syrup onboard. But, please, call it pancake syrup, or simply syrup, but don't call these products made from cellulose gum "maple syrup". If you've ever tasted the real thing, you'd never go back to industrial corn sludge.

Exactly! There is no such thing as sugar free maple syrup. Maple syrup is made from sap from maple trees that's boiled. The real thing has no sugar or anything added to it. And it tastes nothing like the table syrup crap.

Sorry I'm passionate about maple syrup lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed. We only ever have 100% maple syrup in the house. I would never ingest anything less than the real thing. She usually keeps a bottle of grade B around for cooking as well. Corn syrup anything is just gross.

Wifey just loves the maple syrup so she had to move to a vegan vegetable based, monk fruit sweetened "maple flavored" syrup to help with the carb cutting. She likes it in her teas and coffee.

Thanks all for the feedback. Ill let her know to get a sealed bottle.

-Sean

This is another "to each their own" topic when it comes to maple syrup. My family loves pancakes, french toast, etc. I was up in the French River, Ontario, Canada and purchased a gallon of pure maple syrup. Thought I would be a hero. Everyone, including DW spit it out and demanded that I bring back the Aunt Jemima's. Ended up pouring the real stuff down the slop sink.

This is another "to each their own" topic when it comes to maple syrup. My family loves pancakes, french toast, etc. I was up in the French River, Ontario, Canada and purchased a gallon of pure maple syrup. Thought I would be a hero. Everyone, including DW spit it out and demanded that I bring back the Aunt Jemima's. Ended up pouring the real stuff down the slop sink.

I know lots of people who are surprised at the "thinness" of real maple syrup. Not sure when being "thick" became the sign of "authenticness" for these fake syrups, but it seems the less natural ingredients they use, the thicker the product.

I think the poster was saying they had to cut down carbs, so was looking for a vegan substitute.

I guess I can understand the carbs part, but still not sure how maple syrup (from a tree) isn't vegan? Vegan means no animal products. Again, just curious.

I guess I can understand the carbs part, but still not sure how maple syrup (from a tree) isn't vegan? Vegan means no animal products. Again, just curious.

I agree, but I took it as the poster was trying to avoid real maple syrup, and was looking for a vegan substitute.

My wife has been kicking the carbs and sugar and doing a fantastic job at sticking with it.

Needless to say this cruise will be her biggest challenge.

She has been bringing her own sweetener in the form of truvia and sugarfree (stevia sweetened) maple syrup.

Not worried about getting the sugar packets on the ship but she is concerned about the maple syrup as its expensive and if they dont allow us to bring it on the ship we will have to throw it out.

So question is - Can she bring a bottle of maple syrup on the ship? Or no?

Thanks!

-Sean

I am so sorry others are choosing to question your wife rather than answer your question. Does her "syrup" by chance come in individual packets? Might be easier to transport and also not questioned by security. I also am attempting low carb. I bring on individual sweetener packets, individual salad dressing packets, individual mayonnaise packets (all I can have is Duke's brand), etc. I packed these in my checked bags and had no issue with any of these. While I have not done it, she might ask Special Needs to note in your reservation that she will be bringing the syrup.

Ours stays in the fridge all the time, but it still doesn't get a thick as the industrial corn sludge they sell as "syrup".

Ours does as well. I was raised on Aunt Jemima but learned about the real stuff later in life. Next month is my annual pilgrimage to a VT (cat show) and I will stock up on my way home. I prefer the dark stuff. One question - if you're going low carb, what do you pour it on?

I am so sorry others are choosing to question your wife rather than answer your question. Does her "syrup" by chance come in individual packets? Might be easier to transport and also not questioned by security. I also am attempting low carb. I bring on individual sweetener packets, individual salad dressing packets, individual mayonnaise packets (all I can have is Duke's brand), etc. I packed these in my checked bags and had no issue with any of these. While I have not done it, she might ask Special Needs to note in your reservation that she will be bringing the syrup.

The question was answered in posts 2, 4, and 5.

I am so sorry others are choosing to question your wife rather than answer your question.

I, for one, and I don't see others, questioning the OP's wife her choice of syrups, just the OP's use of "maple syrup" to describe an artificial product.

Ours does as well. I was raised on Aunt Jemima but learned about the real stuff later in life. Next month is my annual pilgrimage to a VT (cat show) and I will stock up on my way home. I prefer the dark stuff. One question - if you're going low carb, what do you pour it on?

OP says she uses it in coffee and tea. And dark amber is the preferred type in our house. My way of going "low carb" is to only pour it on waffles (and if you substitute club soda for some of the milk, you get a lighter, and crisper waffle), and not the heavier pancakes. :D

I found the discussion interesting and cheng's passion delightful. :D

Being "from away" (the Maine term for someone not born here), and despite having lived here for 40 years, I'll never be a "Mainer" (native born) until my dying day (though my kids are all Mainers), I probably get worked up about our great state more than Mainers.

I, for one,

OP says she uses it in coffee and tea. And dark amber is the preferred type in our house. My way of going "low carb" is to only pour it on waffles (and if you substitute club soda for some of the milk, you get a lighter, and crisper waffle), and not the heavier pancakes. :D

Thanks for the suggestion. I've always beaten the egg whites into a meringue to make them light. DH likes his pancakes and waffles with only melted butter (yeah, and he is on the thin side with low cholesterol - go figure), so I only need one bottle a year.

I only use the real stuff, which is not offered on the ships. Before my first cruise I asked Royal if I could bring my own maple syrup for breakfast, and was told yes, but there would be a corkage charge (!!!!!), which was ridiculously high. I took a chance, and brought a jar of creamed maple syrup. The only issue I had with that was proving that it wasn't a candle. No one questioned me using it in the MDR.