Bring your own hammock. Yay or nay?

Vacaforever

I wouldn't bring one but after having one of those teensy balconies recently, I might like it for the balcony. This balcony (NCL Getaway) was so small there was no way to comfortably lounge and read. Or really even sit. We used the balcony only for light and entering/leaving ports.

I have no idea how you would attach it though.

Next time you are on a cruise ship balcony, look around and see if you can find two hooks, or comparable fittings, about eight to ten feet apart, and about five feet over the deck, each of which would support your weight.

Arghh. I have never actually noticed if there are places to hang a hammock so I will next time. Will look when we sail in 2 weeks. But, since it's around the Horn, might not be used much.

At least the Emerald Princess has a normal sized balcony.

Wouldn't need to be magnetic as it would hook over the rail.

Visualize a hook at each end of the hammock placed "over the rail" -- think of:

A) How low the hammock would hang,

B) How the hammock would lie tight against the plexiglass (or whatever) below the rail, and

C) How, as soon as any weight was put on the hammock, both hooks would slide closer together along the rail, so whatever (or whoever) was in the hammock would bottom out on the balcony deck.

Back to the magnet idea: can you visualize packing a couple of magnets strong enough to support a 150 (but on a cruise, perhaps a 350) pound man.

Unless you are thinking about bringing a stand from which you could hang the hammock (and your balcony is big enough to accommodate) you may as well leave your hammock at home.

Arghh. I have never actually noticed if there are places to hang a hammock so I will next time. Will look when we sail in 2 weeks. But, since it's around the Horn, might not be used much.

At least the Emerald Princess has a normal sized balcony.

Hang your hammock on the horn, sounds dangerous

Visualize a hook at each end of the hammock placed "over the rail" -- think of:

A) How low the hammock would hang,

B) How the hammock would lie tight against the plexiglass (or whatever) below the rail, and

C) How, as soon as any weight was put on the hammock, both hooks would slide closer together along the rail, so whatever (or whoever) was in the hammock would bottom out on the balcony deck.

Back to the magnet idea: can you visualize packing a couple of magnets strong enough to support a 150 (but on a cruise, perhaps a 350) pound man.

Unless you are thinking about bringing a stand from which you could hang the hammock (and your balcony is big enough to accommodate) you may as well leave your hammock at home.

I agree with leaving the hammock at home but if you brought one, one end on the rail, the other on the door handle is what I was thinking. Down side is if someone else wants to go in or out of the door.;p