hotels in London

I have stayed at Premier Inn Waterloo and will again in July for 5 nights.

This hotel is walking distance to Waterloo train station, HOHO buses, regular bus, tube, London Eye, Thamas River, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Parliament.

I have used http://www.justairports.com to/from LHR to London hotel, use hotel postal code to get a quote.

You can use the train from Waterloo train station to Southampton train station and then a short taxi ride (under £10) to the port.

Also, can use National Express Coach http://www.nationalexpress.com from London Victoria Coach station to Southampton Coach station and a short taxi ride (£10) to the port.

VIator is a 3 party booking agent.

Check out Cruise Critic. - Port of Call - Britain.

There is no cheaper way to get to Southhampton than taking the mega train. It is practically free if you book it 40-45 days in advance.

We used to always stay at Marriott properties near the Marble Arch. These were wonderful hotels with large comfortable rooms. They are extremely expensive, but very nice.

JC

There is no cheaper way to get to Southhampton than taking the mega train. It is practically free if you book it 40-45 days in advance.

We used to always stay at Marriott properties near the Marble Arch. These were wonderful hotels with large comfortable rooms. They are extremely expensive, but very nice.

JC

I thought Megatrain had stopped running to Southampton. I think this was related to Stagecoach who own Megatrain no longer also running South West Trains. Other train services are still available on that route.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Strand Palace Hotel. In the middle of everything.:)

Excellent choice, affordable, and near Waterloo station for trains to Southampton. Treat yourself to tea ($$$) at the Savoy Hotel across the street. It's also near Covent Garden and many theatres. It really is in an excellent location for walking to see / do many things.

I thought Megatrain had stopped running to Southampton. I think this was related to Stagecoach who own Megatrain no longer also running South West Trains. Other train services are still available on that route.

You could be correct. I live in the USA, it was available last May when we were there. We have booked the other train companies and they are relatively inexpensive too.

Looks like you are correct. Not showing any London to Southampton options.

JC

Slight humor injection: "reasonably priced" and London is oxymoronic.

Isn't this the truth!

I've stayed at the Sheraton Grand London Park Lane. Such a mouth full (most just call it the Park Lane) but was in a nice location. Across the street is Green Park which goes to Buckingham Palace.

The Green Park tube station is nearby which gives access to the Jubilee, Piccadilly, and Victoria lines. Since the Piccadilly line is the one that goes to Heathrow Airport it makes it very easy if you're okay with a long ride (bit over an hour) and want to spend the least amount of money. The Piccadilly trains have space for luggage, not a lot, but some. Terminal 5 is the 'last stop' though so you should be getting onto an empty train. If mobility is an issue though, I wouldn't recommend it (luggage + stairs).

Anything in central London will make seeing the major attractions simple and easy, along with getting to the major overground train stations.

But as implied, there is nothing cheap inside London. If you're just arriving the day before and don't plan to spend any/much time touring London you could look for something near the airport. I believe they're less expensive than downtown London.

Only reason we stayed downtime is I got 5 nights free using points, otherwise it would of doubled the cost of the vacation!

A few additions to good info ^^^^

Travelodge and Premier are not on sites like booking so you need to book them via their own websites.

Trains also go from Southampton to London Waterloo or London Victoria frequently

Uber has had their licence pulled in London so there is now no alternative to black cabs

For tube and bus travel you will need to get an Oystercard. You preload this with ££ and use it to pay for travel. Busses don’t accept cash any more!

UBER has not had their license pulled in London. They are reliable as ever. I use them frequently.

We always recommend Park Plaza Westminster. Fabulous views to Parliament, and very close to Waterloo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I second that! Only a couple of hundred yards from Waterloo where the trains go to Southampton.

can anyone recommend a few reasonably priced hotels in London or some that you may have really enjoyed? We will be staying for 2 or 3 days in London before our cruise and would need shuttle service to the Southampton cruise port and are considering doing tours through Viator. thank you.

We have stayed at the London Bridge Hotel in Southwark and loved it! It's across the street from the tube station, the Lower Thames/Borough Market is literally outside the door and across the street, Tate Museum within walking distance and the Tower of London and London Bridge is a short walk from the hotel. I highly recommend it. We have used a car service to get to the ship. Have fun!

I really like to stay at the Strand Palace Hotel - the location is great (right across from the Savoy)- and very close to the Tube.

I agree! I tried to get a room there though, and they were booked solid. Of course, our problem was that there were 3 of is in our party. And throughout Europe, it's not super easy to get a room for 3 people. We got a great deal though, we stayed at a military hotel near Kensington/Hyde Park. But you have to be a military member to stay there. But we stayed at the Strand when I came to London as a kid! And it's still one that's often recommended.

Oh, and we used Smith's to get to Southampton from London. We arrived super early, so it was nice to have a private car to just relax, and we had a great driver!

I'm also working on my review of our 3 days in London. It's in my signature, in case you needed ideas! :)

I have stayed at Premier Inn Waterloo and will again in July for 5 nights.

This hotel is walking distance to Waterloo train station, HOHO buses, regular bus, tube, London Eye, Thamas River, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Parliament.

Check out Cruise Critic. - Port of Call - Britain.

phabric

Did you get the breakfast included option at PI Waterloo? We are staying there next year and added the breakfast because it seems convenient (and good) and we like to sleep in a bit. Would it be a lot cheaper to get breakfast outside the hotel? Any suggestions on places to get breakfast if not at the hotel?

Thanks

ML

Here are some tips from someone who lives in London :

My recommendation for a budget stay is Travelodge or Premier Inn as major brands.

One thing to consider is proximity to convenient places for meals as hotel restaurants offer poor value regarding cost and quality. Plenty of places to eat when you step outside of the hotel especially at Waterloo, London Bridge and West End which is why I have recommended these locations.

yuvraj

We will be staying at PI Waterloo next year. We purchased the included breakfast for convenience and it will allow us a little extra sleep in the morning. Are there a lot of places that provide a similar breakfast at a lower cost nearby? Can you make any suggestions?

Thanks

ML

yuvraj

We will be staying at PI Waterloo next year. We purchased the included breakfast for convenience and it will allow us a little extra sleep in the morning. Are there a lot of places that provide a similar breakfast at a lower cost nearby? Can you make any suggestions?

Thanks

ML

I made a sweeping statement about avoiding hotel food but I would make an exception with Premier Inn. The brand links a good restaurant with the hotel so the food is in my opinion good value. For convenience I would eat there, especially on first morning.

There are plenty of options in the area but not sure if any are cheaper. Pubs tend to do breakfasts but many are over-priced and there is no guarantee regarding quality. There are eating options at the railway station and quite a few places along Waterloo Road. For low cost options, look out for cafes these tend to offer cheapest breakfasts.

If you are a fan of fast food chains like McDonalds then you will find them in the railway station.

This group have very centrally located hotels that are a reasonable price:

https://www.imperialhotels.co.uk/en/

This hotel is also quite central and a good price often:

https://www.stgileshotels.com/hotels/united-kingdom/london/stgiles-london

I have used both in my cost conscious youth.

Holiday Inn Express have properties in London perhaps a bit further out. I think they can accommodate more than two in some rooms and include a basic breakfast.

Best wishes, Stephen.

I thought the lifts there were much the same as other London Underground Stations. I remember the old wooden lifts on the the underground but I think they are all gone now.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Yes, but Russell Square only has lifts no escalators.

Yes, but Russell Square only has lifts no escalators.

I prefer the stations with lifts. The escalators seem terribly slow. I have done the spiral stairs at Covent Garden. Do not think I would do them now. It makes you realise how deep those stations are.