Meds for norovirus

rbslos18

Several accounts of the norovirus on RCCL said the patients were treated with otc medications. I thought there is no treatment for a virus! What medication(s) was likely given?

RB

Probably otc meds to help manage the symptoms, not treating the virus itself. immodium, pepto bismal, type things.

Probably otc meds to help manage the symptoms, not treating the virus itself. immodium, pepto bismal, type things.

Typically, Imodium wouldn't be used. You want to eliminate the nasty bug from your body.

Just lots of fluids, and time will take care of the virus.

I once got Noro while on a cruise from a Princess land overnight trip. The Medical Center gave me a shot to help control the diarrhea and vomiting. It helped but didn’t eliminate it completely. I was sick for days. :(

Do not try to self-medicate. You could make it worse as OTC medications are ineffective vs. viruses. Contact the Medical Center and self-quarantine. The last thing you want to do is spread the virus.

There was an outbreak of Noro on our cruise last month to the Mexican Riviera. It struck the last day on the ship, a sea day. The medical center was giving out OTC medicine. Fortunately I escaped the bullet on this one so I don't know what they were giving pax other than it was an OTC medicine.

Dihydrogen monoxide is likely the best thing but be careful. It is very dangerous if inhaled so be sure to use it properly or it can actually result in death. Used properly though dihydrogen monoxide can be quite beneficial.

it's better if you mixed dihydrogen monoxide with sugar and salt for electrolytes. If you have severe symptoms, a simple dihydrogen monoxide concoction may not be as helpful.

That is why Gatorage and Pedialyte are most often recommended before the colonoscopy instead of plain water. My mom usually dehydrates to the point of delirium....

Bourbon, as any alcohol, will only add to dehydration...

We both had Noro on a cruise last December. There is no cure but we were given Avomine (sea sick meds) & Gastro Stop (or similar brand). These help relieve the symptoms only. I have always carried these meds anyway. Drink plenty of fluids if you can.

Typically, Imodium wouldn't be used. You want to eliminate the nasty bug from your body.

Just lots of fluids, and time will take care of the virus.

Interesting as DH was given Imodium on the Diamond Princess for norovirus as well as another drug for vomiting by the ship's doctor.