Just off Zuiderdam

pamrose228

yesterday came home from 11 PC transit. More about when i get home.

Cabin 4088 upper promenade partial view, one side of cabin all glass. Loved it,

Some of us got port charges back some didnt interested why

Got comped twice for Pinnacle .....More on this later

Got invited to Mariner lunch first HAL cruise but have done carnival. Only thing is son is a gold carnival and wasnt invited,

Never told men have to wear slacks to MDR

24 year old was quite upset. Couldnt find pants until Panama.

Felt treated younger patrons with no respect

More to follow

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All you needed to know from the HAL website:

Q: Did HAL change their dress code?

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

• Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.
  • Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

Q: Why the change from “Formal” To “Gala” night?

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Gala” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear.

Q: What about ladies’ gala attire?

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable.

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

Thanks for the review.

sorry you were shocked by the pants requirement in the MDR - I really don't understand why

You asked enough questions before you left and 3rdgenCunarder kindly made sure you were aware.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53145388&postcount=13

How much "telling" does one need?

Thanks for the review.

sorry you were shocked by the pants requirement in the MDR - I really don't understand why

You asked enough questions before you left and 3rdgenCunarder kindly made sure you were aware.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53145388&postcount=13

How much "telling" does one need?

i asked about gala night. My son wore dress bemuda shorts with collar shurt a lot more formal than msny other pax

Issues go deep into other area

Dietary restrictions ignored even though form sent to Hal months before. No one in dining room did anything rectify for one Week, duabetes through the roof

No red hazard box for needles ever request atnleadtv5x

yesterday came home from 11 PC transit. More about when i get home.

Cabin 4088 upper promenade partial view, one side of cabin all glass. Loved it,

Some of us got port charges back some didnt interested why

Got comped twice for Pinnacle .....More on this later

Got invited to Mariner lunch first HAL cruise but have done carnival. Only thing is son is a gold carnival and wasnt invited,

Felt treated younger patrons with no respect

More to follow

Am very curious about what you mean by “Felt treated younger patrons with no respect “.

We were on that same cruise. I never experienced the crew treating anyone with the slightest bit of disrespect. They all seemed to have incredible patience with passengers even those who were extra demanding. We’re a little older so maybe that makes a difference. Also some of the crew went out of their way to point out the upgrades that were made during the refurbishment. They seemed proud of their ship.

We enjoyed the cruise immensely and were only mildly disappointed that we missed Costa Rica but went to Grand Cayman instead.

We were on that same cruise. I never experienced the crew treating anyone with the slightest bit of disrespect. They all seemed to have incredible patience with passengers even those who were extra demanding. We’re a little older so maybe that makes a difference. Also some of the crew went out of their way to point out the upgrades that were made during the refurbishment. They seemed proud of their ship.

We enjoyed the cruise immensely and were only mildly disappointed that we missed Costa Rica but went to Grand Cayman instead.

Why did the ship go to Grand Cayman instead of Costa Rica?

The port at Costa Rica was closed due to high seas and bad weather so we were unable to dock. The weather was great at Grand Cayman although that is a tender port. There were quite a few people on the cruise with mobility challenges, and I don’t know if they were able to go ashore.

The port at Costa Rica was closed due to high seas and bad weather so we were unable to dock. The weather was great at Grand Cayman although that is a tender port. There were quite a few people on the cruise with mobility challenges, and I don’t know if they were able to go ashore.

We are deciding between this cruise and the island Princess which also does a partial transit. It goes to Grand Cayman and Jamaica instead of Aruba and Curacao. I think I’m leaning towards HAL.

We are deciding between this cruise and the island Princess which also does a partial transit. It goes to Grand Cayman and Jamaica instead of Aruba and Curacao. I think I’m leaning towards HAL.

If I have a choice between a cruise that goes to Jamaica and one that goes to Aruba and/or Curacao, I have no dilemma. Jamaica? Never again ... Just my personal experience and opinion.

interesting about Grand Cayman instead of CR.

Goldenowner and pamrose228, we are on a similar cruise next week on the Zuiderdam, so looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

Are you on the Dec. 27 sailing on the Zuiderdam? I am as well. I am so excited. I sailed on the Zuiderdam last October, but am looking forward to seeing it post dry dock. It will be like a while new ship for me. I'm in the same cabin as I had last October as well, so it will be very interesting to see what was done during the dry dock.

Looking forward to the full review. We will be on the Zuiderdam next year and are looking forward to seeing the updates after having sailed on her previously.

We don't have dietary restrictions, but I am a little surprised about TS's comment, based on what I read here on CC about the staff being so accommodating. Onboard multiple HAL ships, we almost always see a Head Waiter in the MDR conferring with various tables about the next night's menu.

Eager to hear more.

We we’re on the December 6-17th cruise. We have nothing but good things to say about the MDR and staff. We had anytime dining, our preference, and the first day we were greeted at the desk by Rian P. We had met Rian on three previous cruises. After hugs and updates about our families, Rian ensured that we had our table and dining times that we wanted. We noticed other people almost always sitting at the same tables also.

We asked on several occasions about the next day’s menu. Our waiter always told us what to expect or showed us a copy of the menu. We don’t have dietary problems so it was just curiosity that led to the inquiries.

We ate at 7:45, and I did not see people waiting for tables. Everyone appeared to be seated right away at that time.

We ate breakfast and lunch in the Lido. We never had a problem finding a table in the Canaletto area where it is a little quieter. Again we noticed many of the same people sitting in the same area for breakfast and lunch.

We liked the selection of Asian dishes for lunch and also the salads.

The December 6-17th Cruise was the first time we had been on the Zuiderdam. She had gone through upgrades in dry dock not long before that.

The colors on the ship were subdued and the carpets looked new and clean. I liked the little carpeted area by the elevators that indicated which direction was forward. It is easy to get confused on some floors.

We were in room 5136, a veranda room. While the veranda is a little smaller than some, there was plenty of room for two chairs with foot stools and a tiny table. Our veranda stayed dry even during heavy rain. We also did not look directly down on lifeboats unlike many central rooms on the fifth floor.

The room had been upgraded with a large flatscreen TV. There were USB connections by the bed but no electrical outlets there.

The loveseat looked like it had new upholstery, and the desk chair looked new also. I missed the hassock where you could store dirty clothes, however.

The bathroom looked unchanged and appeared the same as other Vista ships.

We don't have dietary restrictions, but I am a little surprised about TS's comment, based on what I read here on CC about the staff being so accommodating. Onboard multiple HAL ships, we almost always see a Head Waiter in the MDR conferring with various tables about the next night's menu.

Eager to hear more.

According to a post the OP made on a previous thread, she was trying to have her food hit the table in front of her at a precise time after entering the dining room . She also had a limited amount of food she would eat.

Perhaps she found that the MDR could not timer her food delivery to the precise minute that she required,

According to a post the OP made on a previous thread, she was trying to have her food hit the table in front of her at a precise time after entering the dining room . She also had a limited amount of food she would eat.

Perhaps she found that the MDR could not timer her food delivery to the precise minute that she required,

i never said what you suggested. Show me where, i didnt care when i got served but what, i also expected someone after several discussions ti attend ti my needs, what sbout the sharpie red box i asked for 6 times. BS went up to almost 500 could have been fatal

i never said what you suggested. Show me where, i didnt care when i got served but what, i also expected someone after several discussions ti attend ti my needs, what sbout the sharpie red box i asked for 6 times. BS went up to almost 500 could have been fatal

I'm truly sorry that you had difficulties with your meals in the MDR. I do not have to worry about blood sugar levels and the dangerous results but I do have a history of hunger induced migraines. I made sure to always have some kind of snack on me so that I never had to worry about someone else attending to my medical needs. I don't know if this works the same way with blood sugar levels, but it might be helpful on your next cruise.

As for the sharpie box and the six requests, that is unacceptable.