Booking onboard restaurants in advance

Boatdrill

Would appreciate any input on booking in advance. Cruise on the Insignia is coming up in the spring, but reservations open at the end of this month. Polo Grill and Toscana require reservations.....should these be reserved this far in advance ?

Thanks.

Book as soon as booking opens for your cabin category to get preferred dates, times and table size.

The longer you wait the fewer choices you'll have; although you will be guaranteed your number of reservations - just not necessarily your first choices.

If you want a table for two and/or a popular time, then it's advisable to book as soon as you can. If like to dine very early or very late, and like to share a table, then you most likely can wait.

Personally, I booked already three restaurants for our May cruise on Riviera. (I didn't bother with Red Ginger because we aren't all that wild about it.)

Mura

Question: I made my final payment on 11/30/17 for a 28 day cruise on Nautica, leaving Mumbai on April 29, 2018. I checked my account and found that I cannot book dining reservations until 2/13/18, and we are in a PH. Is this normal? I am asking because of Mura's comment above. Should I be concerned and call my TA?

Thanks,

Bill and Kathi

MakingSpecialty Restaurant Reservations:

In order to Reserve Online, the Booking must be paid in full.

-The Online Dining Reservation System closes out at 7 days prior to each sailing's embarkation date.

For All Vessels:

-Owner's, Vista and Oceania Suites may make reservations at 90 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Penthouse Suites may make reservations at 75 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms may make reservations at 60 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Staterooms may make reservations at 45 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Number of Reservations, Regatta, Insignia,Nautica, Sirena:

Owner's Suite, Vista Suite, Penthouse Suite andConcierge Level Veranda

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at eachrestaurant

8-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at eachrestaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at eachrestaurant

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant

8-17 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at eachrestaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at eachrestaurant

Number of Reservations, Marina and Riviera:

Owner's Suites, Vista Suites, Oceania Suites

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservation at eachrestaurant

8-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at eachrestaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at eachrestaurant

Penthouse Suites

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservation at eachrestaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at eachrestaurant

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at eachrestaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 1 reservations at eachrestaurant

All reservations have a maximum of 8 guests per table.

Edited by JimandStan

Question: I made my final payment on 11/30/17 for a 28 day cruise on Nautica, leaving Mumbai on April 29, 2018. I checked my account and found that I cannot book dining reservations until 2/13/18, and we are in a PH. Is this normal? I am asking because of Mura's comment above. Should I be concerned and call my TA?

Thanks,

Bill and Kathi

Mura usually books top suites

They get the early booking dates :halo:

But is it more than 120 days to May. Top suites are 90days ahead according to S&J's data.

Jim and Stan also have noted in past that in upper suites, once you make final payment, you could probably make your reservations

Jim and Stan also have noted in past that in upper suites, once you make final payment, you could probably make your reservations
I believe JimandStan do not consider a OH an "upper suite".

I assume we are speaking of sswajo's PH comment and not Mura's. If not then please ignore thus.

Sounds like you are referring to a courtesy exception to the posted booking rules. There are many PHs; exceptions could realistically only given to a few or the rules become meaningless and then only confuse and annoy those that do not get the benefit (or look for exceptions).

I believe JimandStan do not consider a OH an "upper suite".

I assume we are speaking of sswajo's PH comment and not Mura's. If not then please ignore thus.

Sounds like you are referring to a courtesy exception to the posted booking rules. There are many PHs; exceptions could realistically only given to a few or the rules become meaningless and then only confuse and annoy those that do not get the benefit (or look for exceptions).

Referring to OC and above suites

Just to be clear: We're in an Oceania Suite for the May cruise, and our final payment date was December 11th. We were able to make specialty restaurant reservations as of that date.

Mura

Mura - enjoy the OC.

In my next life I will only cruise in OCs - unfortunately, not so in my current life :)

That said, I am not complaining.

When you are allowed to start booking do you give a 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice? Or do you request 1 and if that s not available you make another request on so on until a time and table size request are accepted? We are not in a higher cabin category and I'm just wondering what the process is like for those of us that book later.

When you are allowed to start booking do you give a 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice? Or do you request 1 and if that s not available you make another request on so on until a time and table size request are accepted? We are not in a higher cabin category and I'm just wondering what the process is like for those of us that book later.

When you make your booking you will see at the time of booking what date and time is available for booking.

When you make your booking you will see at the time of booking what date and time is available for booking.

+1, in other words, as each cabin category becomes eligible to make reservations, the system displays only the remaining openings. .

You first select the Restaurant which you desire, then the date on which you would like to make your reservation.

The open time-slots then appear, and you select from them. :D

+1, in other words, as each cabin category becomes eligible to make reservations, the system displays only the remaining openings. .

You first select the Restaurant which you desire, then the date on which you would like to make your reservation.

...and if you don’t like your choices (time or table size) available to you on the day you pick, try another day - and so on and so forth :)

...and if you don’t like your choices (time or table size) available to you on the day you pick, try another day - and so on and so forth :)

Thanks for the information!

Today I was able to book the specialty restaurants for our 2/3 Marina cruise. I was allowed 4 reservations. I tried booking two of them at the same restaurant, but it would not allow it.

My question is, can you book the same restaurant twice or do you have to choose 4 different restaurants?

Today I was able to book the specialty restaurants for our 2/3 Marina cruise. I was allowed 4 reservations. I tried booking two of them at the same restaurant, but it would not allow it.

My question is, can you book the same restaurant twice or do you have to choose 4 different restaurants?

4 different restaurants

Remember, you are GUARANTEED a certain number of reservations in the specialty restaurants. This depends on your room category.

So if you weren't able to double up on reservations, it's because you are permitted one each ...

That doesn't mean you won't be able to get extra reservations once you are on board. Just check. A lot of this depends on how many of your other passengers want to dine in a specialty every night!

We tend NOT to use the number of reservations we are entitled to. Others may insist that they ONLY dine in the specialties. You won't know until you're on board just how easy it is to get extras.

Good luck. Also remember that people in the upper suites can order from the specialty restaurants for service in their rooms. And that can free up space in the restaurants themselves.

We have an upcoming port-intensive B2B. It's been YEARS since we didn't have sea days on a cruise, but we won't have any on this one. So the odds are that we will be ordering dinner IN several nights rather than going to the restaurant itself. Maybe there will be lots of our type on your cruise ...

Good luck!

Mura

When onboard just go to the Restaurant reservation desk on deck 5 in the mornings & ask if there are any openings for that night in the restaurant you would like to dine in

Unlike other cruise lines the GDR food is very good also or a lot of people like the Terrace for dinner

I am not a fan

YMMV

Unlike Lyn, we DO like Terrace ... especially on the "O" ships but also on the "R" ships.

But we do agree about the merits of the GDR. There are many people who avoid the GDR ... we aren't among them. We've liked the GDR since Renaissance days. One big reason is because the menu changes each day with lots of choices. Yes, it repeats every 14 days or so ... but the specialty menus NEVER repeat!

And that is why we've always headed for the GDR more than a specialty restaurant. Others disagree ... which is their right!

We traveled on the Black Sea cruise back in 2012 on Regatta with a couple who refused to go to the GDR because they'd had been one horrendous meal. We had no way of judging whether their report of that horrendous meal was on target, but we assumed it was. But we didn't see why one awful meal meant they'd never return. But as far as they were concerned, if they couldn't get a specialty reservation, they went to Terrace. EVEN on the "R" ships!

To each his own!

Mura

Mura