Gratuities increasing from Jan 2nd.

lovescarborough

If people can afford to take a 3 night cruise on a 3* ship to the Bahamas they're already doing much better than a few billion others.

Is there an internet forum that epitomizes first world problems more than Cruise Critic?

Serious question....

Lamborghini-Talk.com

I'm not questioning the veracity, but I am curious about the source of the information. Where did you come by this information?

A ships officer during a very candid discussion about gratuities, customer service, barmen and recruitment issues. The individual is from the same area as me and so we got on very well resulting in them opening up about all kinds of things I would never expect them too.

I've never sailed with P&O but I understand gratuities can be removed via their interactive TV system. I reckon Celebrity are wise to not allow the same because I'm sure that would result in even more people cancelling them.

Am I going out on a limb predicting that cruise lines will be emulating airlines, i.e. charges for more than one piece of luggage, early boarding charges, seat reservations in main theater, up charges on all restaurant venues but buffet. Two menus in MDR, standard and a la carte (rack of lamb additional), boarding processing fees, disembarking fees, tender fees, Booking fees on Shorex tours, etc.,etc., etc. etc.

Am I going out on a limb predicting that cruise lines will be emulating airlines, i.e. charges for more than one piece of luggage, early boarding charges, seat reservations in main theater, up charges on all restaurant venues but buffet. Two menus in MDR, standard and a la carte (rack of lamb additional), boarding processing fees, disembarking fees, tender fees, Booking fees on Shorex tours, etc.,etc., etc. etc.

Yes, you are.

50 to 100 cabins per cruise will go to guest relations to have their grats removed.

This is why I've always said on here that if X simply had the cost of the gratuities included in the cruise fare then the crew would never end up being stiffed and would be remunerated accordingly.

What does raise suspicion to me is those people who then claim that if this was implemented that cruise fares would increase? I suspect it would increase for them as they are the ones likely stiffing the crew by having them revoked.

I wonder how much admin overhead the cruise line would save too if this happened? The cost of administering grats would be saved too which is surely something the likes of LLP should be looking into rather than making passenger facing cut backs.

Well, that is much lower than I thought, which is good. What makes me suspicious is the people who come on this sight, claiming they want to remove the auto-grats so they can hand out little envelopes to the most deserving, in their eyes. Maybe that's just so much talk and no action. I hope you are right. Thank you.

I also wish the cruise lines would just tag the gratuities to the cost of the cruise, so everyone is paying the same. Those of us who wish to recognize special crew members would continue to give a little extra to whomever we wish.

Many times I've jumped off a bus at the end of the tour, tipped the guide and or driver a few dollars as many yanks have walked past and completely ignored them. :rolleyes:

But if a 10 day cruise costs $1000 and gratuities are $14 per day. Why do you think the cruise would go up by more than $1140 if gratuities were included? What basis do you have for this?

NCL did this with their "all-inclusive" and another recently added fare that includes the daily service charge "gratuity" for the UK bookings. There are some comments that the UK price for a fare with only the daily service charge included is more than the comparable US fare + the normal daily service charge.

There may be other costs involved, or other things included in the "grats included" fare that I don't know about, but it does seem that the company decided there's value in simplifying the fare and making it more transparent, so the UK passengers are paying that.

I would be happy if they raised the fares by $20 a day for "non-tipping cultures" to provide them with the ease of use of a flatter fare even if they left the gratuities and fares the same for us who are subsidizing their "non-tipping culture" behavior.

NCL did this with their "all-inclusive" and another recently added fare that includes the daily service charge "gratuity" for the UK bookings. There are some comments that the UK price for a fare with only the daily service charge included is more than the comparable US fare + the normal daily service charge.

There may be other costs involved, or other things included in the "grats included" fare that I don't know about, but it does seem that the company decided there's value in simplifying the fare and making it more transparent, so the UK passengers are paying that.

I would be happy if they raised the fares by $20 a day for "non-tipping cultures" to provide them with the ease of use of a flatter fare even if they left the gratuities and fares the same for us who are subsidizing their "non-tipping culture" behavior.

I'm not familiar with the NCL product, but I don't know if this is an accurate comparison. With Celebrity, RCL and Oceania (Probably many others too) the fares differ between the US and UK. Sometimes it's cheaper in the US, sometimes in the UK. Often on the very same cruise, some classes of rooms are cheaper in one country whilst others cheaper in the other.

I'm unsure why you think tipping cultures are subsidising non tipping cultures though? Everyone gets charged the same rate in $ regardless of where they are from. Did you just make that up? :D

The $1 increase in tips doesn't bother me in the least.

My travel agent always gives me and my wife pre-paid grats AND the Classic drink package as "thank you" perks for staying loyal to her with our cruises.

As for those that are griping about the extra $1, get a life. Spending a few thousand dollars and griping about that minuscule amount? Ridiculous!

. :rolleyes:

But if a 10 day cruise costs $1000 and gratuities are $14 per day. Why do you think the cruise would go up by more than $1140 if gratuities were included? What basis do you have for this?

I also wish the cruise lines would just tag the gratuities to the cost of the cruise, so everyone is paying the same. Those of us who wish to recognize special crew members would continue to give a little extra to whomever we wish.

For everyone that thinks the cruise lines should just tag the gratuities onto the price of the cruise - I think I remember reading something about that becoming salary instead of gratuity for the crew and there would be tax issues.

I know it's done on cruises originating out of Australia but I don't know anything about their tax laws.

I really think it's in the crew's best interests to leave it the way it is.

And I still want to know if my room steward , for example, will get less per day from me (we've prepaid our tips already) than from my next door neighbor who hasn't and thus will be paying that $1/day more.

How in heavens name will accounting keep all that straight?

For everyone that thinks the cruise lines should just tag the gratuities onto the price of the cruise - I think I remember reading something about that becoming salary instead of gratuity for the crew and there would be tax issues.

I know it's done on cruises originating out of Australia but I don't know anything about their tax laws.

I really think it's in the crew's best interests to leave it the way it is.

And I still want to know if my room steward , for example, will get less per day from me (we've prepaid our tips already) than from my next door neighbor who hasn't and thus will be paying that $1/day more.

How in heavens name will accounting keep all that straight?

I was under the impression that those who receive a significant part of their earning in tips were taxed on them already? At lease in North America. Admittedly, I was told this a very long time ago and so am unsure.

Well, that is much lower than I thought, which is good. What makes me suspicious is the people who come on this sight, claiming they want to remove the auto-grats so they can hand out little envelopes to the most deserving, in their eyes. Maybe that's just so much talk and no action. I hope you are right. Thank you.

And the whole thing would start all over again.

Perhaps you should read that “fine print” before climbing on the illegal/immoral bandwagon.

Comprehension is key and several on this thread are locked out of their house. Some permanently.

and where do I say ILLEGAL or IMMORAL ...hmmmm...hmmmmm....YES comprehension!!!

I Am sure you can cancel up to day of embarkation without penalty provided you have CFAR insurance.

The CTC and CoC are not in fine print if one reads them online and/or print them out one can get almost any size print required in order to read them...

I would think, based on the statements you made, you would have been finished due to the spate of cruise pricing increases, for which the gratuities and their increases pail in comparison...

Or have we missed something in your thoughts and its' process?

LOL - bon voyage

You have missed the fact that I won't tip extra anymore. They made out better getting an extra cash tip from us. . Now they just get what their share comes out to be. I will still go on my 4-5 cruises a year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was under the impression that those who receive a significant part of their earning in tips were taxed on them already? At lease in North America. Admittedly, I was told this a very long time ago and so am unsure.

If they are US citizens (the crew generally isn’t) a certain percentage of sales is assumed in gratuity, or actual is tracked and reported, and is taxable.

I’ve never independently confirmed this, but apparently in some countries where crew typically reside, only salary is treated as taxable income. So that would mean a financial advantage to everyone, including the customer, to maintain gratuities as separate, voluntary fees.

Don’t ask me how they handle included gratuities, or Australia. I don’t know.

And the whole thing would start all over again.

What does that mean? Is tipping a competition? If Celebrity determines the auto grats will be mandatory, the only difference will be that no one will feel entitled to remove or reduce them. If I want to give my steward a few extra bucks, it's his to keep, and has no bearing on any other passengers.

You have missed the fact that I won't tip extra anymore. They made out better getting an extra cash tip from us. . Now they just get what their share comes out to be. I will still go on my 4-5 cruises a year.

b - thanks for the clarification....

bon voyage

Yeah, that'll teach them. :rolleyes:

I would be embarrassed to admit that although you can afford tens of thousands of dollars per year on cruise fares yet still begrudge those who work such long hours to make those vacations enjoyable an extra few dollars. Yet it seems something you wear as a badge of honor. I'm scratching my head.

No more extra tipping for you? Boy, you really got them. That’s showing the crew not to mess with you!

I was told my gratuities for my 1/26/2018 cruise will increase to $14.50 pp/day. Wanted to pre-pay with OBC but can't use it for gratuities pre-cruise. I have lots of OBC so wanted to use it instead of money out of my pocket. So will have to pay the increased charge onboard. Would have liked to use the extra $1 per day to tip the room steward extra myself. That way I would be sure he/she got the increase.