Pompeii

highmark55

Will be in Naples for a day next May. Want to see Pompeii.

At the site are there descriptions of the buildings etc in english or do we need to organize a guide ?

Are there guides available (hanging out) by the entrance or do you need to book someone ahead of time ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jan

Will be in Naples for a day next May. Want to see Pompeii.

At the site are there descriptions of the buildings etc in english or do we need to organize a guide ?

Are there guides available (hanging out) by the entrance or do you need to book someone ahead of time ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jan

Check out the Rick Steves Italy book. Great detail on Pompeii. And you can also hire a guide at the entrance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Everyone has made good suggestions. But be warned there is very little signage on the site itself. So you will either need to a) get a guided tour, b) pay for the official audio tour, c) download Rick Steves' audio tour or d) get some kind of guidebook -- as mentioned, there are some available in the gift shop near the entrance.

If not going with a guide, I highly recommend that you also get a map of the site. It's large and can be confusing until you figure it out.

Sometimes, IF YOU ASK when paying your entrance, they have a free pamphlet with a pretty good summary of the key sites, in English. However, these are not always available -- sometimes they are out of the English version (I have the Italian version from one visit ;p) , so I wouldn't count on it. And if you don't ask, they usually don't offer it.

If you are very interested, let me also recommend a great in-depth guide to read in advance or afterwards: https://www.amazon.com/Pompeii-White-Star-Guides-Archaeology/dp/8854403458/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1513733118&sr=1-1&keywords=White+Star+guide+Pompeii

It's not so large that you couldn't take it with you if you want.

Finally, for the true Pompeii geek, there's a great site that has information, a plan and photos for almost every excavated structure at Pompeii: https://sites.google.com/site/ad79eruption/pompeii

I can't imagine going to Pompeii without a tour guide. I have been twice and had a guide each time. The first time was years ago and the most recent with my family when we hired a car that drove us from Rome to Amalfi and Pompeii and then the car service arranged a tour guide for Pompeii. It was so nice having someone guide us and tell us what we were seeing so we could really enjoy all the moments. I don't remember how much the tour guide was but I do remember we tipped her separately from the driver.

Also, if you hire a guide ahead of time, you will most likely not need to stand in line for tickets. Pompeii is huge. If you are ok with wandering around and just looking at things, you could do it on your own. If you want to know what you're looking at, know how to get to specific places, etc, a guide would be preferable.

Also, if you hire a guide ahead of time, you will most likely not need to stand in line for tickets. Pompeii is huge. If you are ok with wandering around and just looking at things, you could do it on your own. If you want to know what you're looking at, know how to get to specific places, etc, a guide would be preferable.

It really is possible to get a lot out of Pompeii without a guide but you have to spend some time doing the research in advance. I have never just "wandered around and looked at things" -- I go with a map, written information based on the info I've gathered, and a well-thought out plan. :D

For those who want to only see the highlights in a couple of hours, a guide is probably a good idea for most...

I travel with a family of 8. It's like herding cats. I much prefer a guide to take charge. I tend to forget that the rest of the world does not necessarily travel like that!

It's absolutely doable on your own, as most things are. For some, the planning is part of the fun. Others just enjoy the thrill of wandering and discovery.

It really is possible to get a lot out of Pompeii without a guide but you have to spend some time doing the research in advance. I have never just "wandered around and looked at things" -- I go with a map, written information based on the info I've gathered, and a well-thought out plan. :D

For those who want to only see the highlights in a couple of hours, a guide is probably a good idea for most...

Hi cruisemom, for someone like myself who's profoundly hearing impaired and a guide is rendered useless to me, will I be ok armed with just a map and written information beforehand to help guide myself around Pompeii? Should I brush up on everything before my visit, or are a lot of things at the site explained via written text while there?

I'm a HUGE museum and history buff and pretty much all museums and sites i've visited in the past have always had some kind of written explanation of the artifacts/exhibitions available while touring the sites. Is Pompeii the same way or should I print out as much info before my visit to take with me so i'm not lost? Thanks!

It’s been several years since I was there, but I don’t remember much signage at all. I would at the very least get a guide book with a good map.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely bring both with me to ensure i'm not lost. But even if I am lost, just walking around the ruins will be satisfying enough for me i'm sure! :)

Truthfully there is not much signage on site -- in most cases just a bare minimum such as the name of the house.

I would highly recommend having a guidebook or some printed notes and also a map. The site is huge and it is divided into regions (Regio I, II, III, IV, and so on).

Put some time into reviewing the site map on the site I've listed earlier in this thread. Think about what you want to see/get out of your visit. At a bare minimum I would recommend that you see the Forum, Forum Baths, Amphitheater, Temple of Isis, some of the houses along the Via dell'abbondanza, and the Villa dei Misteri.

Personally, I'd always say that you get more out of a site if you've researched it and read about it in advance. Good luck with your trip. Pompeii is one of my favorite sites anywhere and I'll be returning there next year for yet another visit.

Truthfully there is not much signage on site -- in most cases just a bare minimum such as the name of the house.

I would highly recommend having a guidebook or some printed notes and also a map. The site is huge and it is divided into regions (Regio I, II, III, IV, and so on).

Put some time into reviewing the site map on the site I've listed earlier in this thread. Think about what you want to see/get out of your visit. At a bare minimum I would recommend that you see the Forum, Forum Baths, Amphitheater, Temple of Isis, some of the houses along the Via dell'abbondanza, and the Villa dei Misteri.

Personally, I'd always say that you get more out of a site if you've researched it and read about it in advance. Good luck with your trip. Pompeii is one of my favorite sites anywhere and I'll be returning there next year for yet another visit.

Thanks for the valuable information. I'll make a list of those recommended sites, do all my research beforehand, and definitely bring a good map of Pompeii to get as much out of my visit as I can without a guide.

I plan to base myself in Sorrento for 4 days and dedicate a full day just to Pompeii.

Thanks for the valuable information. I'll make a list of those recommended sites, do all my research beforehand, and definitely bring a good map of Pompeii to get as much out of my visit as I can without a guide.

I plan to base myself in Sorrento for 4 days and dedicate a full day just to Pompeii.

A few years ago I stayed in Sorrento for a week plus and spent two full days in Pompeii; then in 2015 I had a chance to spend another two days there on a tour guided by a Yale professor noted for her expertise in Roman architecture -- Diana Kleiner. It was fantastic both times.

She has an online course that is free through Yale or it can be watched on YouTube (there are several lectures that pertain to Pompeii):

A few years ago I stayed in Sorrento for a week plus and spent two full days in Pompeii; then in 2015 I had a chance to spend another two days there on a tour guided by a Yale professor noted for her expertise in Roman architecture -- Diana Kleiner. It was fantastic both times.

She has an online course that is free through Yale or it can be watched on YouTube (there are several lectures that pertain to Pompeii):

Thanks so much for the video link. And it's captioned too!! Yay! :)

I had originally booked the NCL 7 day Epic from Barcelona, but once I began researching shore excursions for that sailing, once I got to looking at Naples, it was just a whirlwind of so many options that I felt i'd be cheating myself by limiting the visit to a mere 12 hour cruise stop. How could I possibly see all I want in such a tiny time frame?

So i'm going to hop on the ship mid sailing in Civitavecchia and spend Sat-Wed based in a Sorrento hotel. This way I can see as much as I can of the region at a leisurely pace. So you spent a full week in Sorrento....would 4 days be enough for a first timer?

The pictures I see all over that area are so spectacular that I can see myself returning again to see anything i've missed the first time around. It seems to be so beautiful no matter where you are there!

Thanks so much for the info!!

I think four days is a decent amount of time. We had quite a programme planned for our visit, including a visit to the Archaeological Museum in Naples + Naples underground tour one day, Herculaneum and Oplontis on one day, two days in Pompeii, a day on Capri, a visit to Paestum and more...

If you have any more questions as you're figuring out what you want to do, feel free to ask.

We have visited Pompeii with a guide, using a Pompeii guide, on our own (several times) and on our own with an audio guide. What is best is personal preference but there is must to say for having a guide for your initial visit. At the entrance you can join a group guided tour (done in several languages) and the cost used to be 10€ per person (the price might have been increased) which is in addition to the regular entry fee. It is also possible to hire a private guide but they will likely want decent money (likely in the 100€ range). These official guides really know the ruins and the history and can help bring the ruins to life :). An audio guide and map is a decent option for a first time DIYer. Keep in mind that it always seems hotter in the ruins...so if its a hot day wear a big hat and pick up a bottle of water before you enter the ruins (there is a snack bar in the ruins..but it will likely be far from you when you want a drink). There is also extensive walking involved in seeing the ruins, so wear very comfy shoes.

Hank

Thanks so much for the video link. And it's captioned too!! Yay! :)

I had originally booked the NCL 7 day Epic from Barcelona, but once I began researching shore excursions for that sailing, once I got to looking at Naples, it was just a whirlwind of so many options that I felt i'd be cheating myself by limiting the visit to a mere 12 hour cruise stop. How could I possibly see all I want in such a tiny time frame?

So i'm going to hop on the ship mid sailing in Civitavecchia and spend Sat-Wed based in a Sorrento hotel. This way I can see as much as I can of the region at a leisurely pace. So you spent a full week in Sorrento....would 4 days be enough for a first timer?

The pictures I see all over that area are so spectacular that I can see myself returning again to see anything i've missed the first time around. It seems to be so beautiful no matter where you are there!

Thanks so much for the info!!

We have visited Herculaneum and Pompeii - and I would say that if you do really want to understand what you are looking at you need an interpretation of what you are seeing. Any signeage tells you the name of the buildings just to locate your position on the map.

In Herculaneum I had an audio guide and I got confused with what I was seeing. I enjoyed the site and got a lot out of it, but if I had done some reading and some research prior I would have enjoyed it more.

BTW Another "win" from your plan is that you get the opportunity to visit the National Archeological Museum and the Sansevero Chapel which are both closed on Tuesday which is the day that the Epic docks in Naples. I think my next Med cruise is going to have to be with another line in order that I can visit them!!

Edited by ollienbertsmum

We have visited Herculaneum and Pompeii - and I would say that if you do really want to understand what you are looking at you need an interpretation of what you are seeing. Any signeage tells you the name of the buildings just to locate your position on the map.

In Herculaneum I had an audio guide and I got confused with what I was seeing. I enjoyed the site and got a lot out of it, but if I had done some reading and some research prior I would have enjoyed it more.

BTW Another "win" from your plan is that you get the opportunity to visit the National Archeological Museum and the Sansevero Chapel which are both closed on Tuesday which is the day that the Epic docks in Naples. I think my next Med cruise is going to have to be with another line in order that I can visit them!!

Thanks for the very helpful information. I don't want to go all the way to Pompeii, only to get there and not know what i'm seeing. I'm really surprised there's not more written explanations posted next to the exhibits like in many museums and historical sites so the viewer knows the history of what they're viewing.

But knowing this in advance gives me plenty of time to brush up on everything beforehand. I'll be buying some historical and tourist guidebooks on Pompeii now so when I visit, i'm not lost and will know what i'm looking at while there. Thanks again!!