Alaska booking question

montylee

For Princess (or maybe Holland), when is the historical best time to book for an Alaska cruise to get a good price. I'm looking at 2019, and several lines have released their schedules. But for Princess, all "deals" are for cruises up to April 2019. Booking a summer 2019 Alaska cruise results in regular rack price. Most deals seem to be for 3rd or 4th additions, which I'm not interested in. Looking primarily at 7-day, round-trip not required.

So when should I start looking? NOTE: I realize booking now may get a better cabin. I'm willing to sacrifice that in order to save money.

Thanks.

Princess just released Summer 2019 bookings a couple weeks ago so don't expect any "deals" while the people who book super early and pay rack rate in order to get the dates/cabins/dining times they want at any price are still out there.

You can wait for the next Sip and Sail or Three For Free promotion to see if they extend into Summer 2019. But like all other lines these "deals" involve getting "free" (sic) extras and/or some OBC rather than any real reduction in the cruise fare.

For rock bottom fares you have to be willing to wait until very close to sailing dates for any undersold cruises. You say you are flexible about cabin category which is great. So how flexible are you about just "drop and go" when you see a great fare for only a month or so out? Which of course has to be balanced against possibly high non-advance air fares.

I don't follow HAL as closely as Princess but their sales all seem to push amenities over low fares even more so. Though past cruisers still have opportunities for pretty low last minute fares--which HAL keeps on the Q.T. unlike Princess which agressively tries to fill undersold dates.

Bottom line is if you like/want/need/must plan so far in advance, you will pay for that priviledge.

Thanks. You are correct--most all my "offers" from Princess have been the amenities, and never any fare discount. I agree that to plan ahead (for Alaska, at least) means paying a higher fare than last minute. In this case, I'll have to bite the bullet because I have other plans and not as flexible to drop and go.

Excellent response.

Alaska cruises have become so popular that from my experience the probability of a price reduction is not good. My history is primarily with HAL. So, from my perspective I would bite the bullet and book the cabin of your choice as early as possible. HAL and the other lines do offer promotional programs at times but these are aminity inducements and the cruise fares under these programs actually increase as you will end up paying for these "freebies". Whichever line you choose I hope you choose a voyage that goes to Glacier Bay. .

There is no one "magic" time to book. You just have monitor the prices. In most cases, a price drop prior to final payment will be fare corrected for you. Or you can cancel and rebook at the lower price, although you might lose any enhancements you might have acquired on your original booking.

But there is no one special best price time. If there was, we could just close down all the booking staff, because all the booking would take place at that one magic time.

There is no one "magic" time to book. You just have monitor the prices. In most cases, a price drop prior to final payment will be fare corrected for you. Or you can cancel and rebook at the lower price, although you might lose any enhancements you might have acquired on your original booking.

But there is no one special best price time. If there was, we could just close down all the booking staff, because all the booking would take place at that one magic time.

Agree completely. Highly, highly recommend the land/sea package with Holland America. Decide when you want to go, decide on what type of cabin you desire and just book it!

I've been tracking fares for my upcoming cruise for the year since it was released... As it closes in on selling out, the fares haven't changed one bit.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

We booked our HAL Alaska cruise more than a year out. Prices held steady until final payment and then they dropped like a rock. They kept dropping until a few days prior to sailing and we actually ended with a complimentary upgrade as well as OBC which HAL was gracious enough to extend.

But I do agree that deals like that don’t happen often going to Alaska. If you have flexibility with dates, cruise lines and stateroom categories then wait. But do keep in mind that, anytime you wait, you’re gambling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums