LAX to Long Beach

lorew86

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are taking our first cruise from the west coast and I am curious about getting from LAX to the LB Port on a Saturday morning.

If we were to arrive in LAX from PHL (with, cross our fingers, no delays) at 12:30 p.m. what is the kind of traffic situation we would be running into to get to port? We’ve never flown into or have been in LA so I’m worried about timing but we are trying to avoid a Hotel the night before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Well, without knowing when you are scheduled to sail, hard to make any recommendations. But, assuming it is a 5pm sail, you need to be on board typically 90 or 120 minutes in advance.

To be honest, this is crazy tight. I absolutely would not do it. One issue- flight delays, major traffic, anything, you are sunk.

We leave at 4:30. I am all for an earlier flight (getting in at 10 am instead) and booking the Carnival Transportation option directly through Carnival. We just weren’t sure what traffic is like out there and my husband doesn’t want an earlier flight [emoji38] on a Saturday morning like I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There will be a cutoff time for Carnival transfers. They won't take your arrival time if the chance of missing the ship is too great.

I would fly on the day before, but if they is no other way, take the flight that gets in at 10am.

Arriving at 12:30, hopefully on time, claiming bags, going down the 405, one of the worst traffic highways in the US...is really pretty crazy. The distance isn't really far...25 miles, but those won't be a fun trip if there is ANY issues.

Let me begin by saying fly in the day before the cruise.

Things happen and it can be easy to miss the ship.

Let's start with basics. You have to be on the ship by 3:00 PM.

A delay of two hours and you can't board.

Can things happen? Yes and that can included mechanical issues, weather issues, FAA issues, power issues (Atlanta airport just the other day), security breaches at airport, or on flight, insufficient flight personnel and the list goes on and on and on.

I would allow one hour to get to the ship. But things happen. A shutdown of a freeway can happen.

I really am not trying to be negative but I have known others who have flown in the day of a cruise and in some cases have missed the ship due to some of the issues I mentioned and they now say never again.

Keith

As a local I think your husband is crazy ;).

LA traffic is a crapshoot at the best of times. The only thing for certain is that if you leave with plenty of time, you’ll hit no traffic. If you leave at the ‘right’ time, you’ll hit every red light and there will be some sort of slowdown on the freeway. Not only is the 405 bad, but we’ve always hit traffic on the 105 and the 710 freeways.

If you cannot spend the night before, definitely take the earliest flight possible. Have passports JIC your flight is late.

We are also sailing out of Long Beach, flying in and staying the night before near LAX. Our sail time is 4 on Princess on a Sunday Those familiar with this route, could you offer some suggestions on what Transportation we should use to get to LB, and what time should we leave?

We are also sailing out of Long Beach, flying in and staying the night before near LAX. Our sail time is 4 on Princess on a Sunday Those familiar with this route, could you offer some suggestions on what Transportation we should use to get to LB, and what time should we leave?

Check your booking because Princess normally uses San Pedro pier 93.

Super Shuttle or Prime Time would be the most dependable shuttle service from LAX. They charge $17 per person. Also, check Uber or Lyft rates.

I suggest leaving your hotel between 10 am and noon.

It usually is about a 40 minute trip, but allow time for traffic problems.

Edited by swedish weave

You have several options.

I would consider Uber, Lyft or a private service you book in advance such as execucar whose web site is www.execucar.com

I agree. I would verify whether you are sailing

I did look up your cruise and you are scheduled to sail from Los Angeles World Cruise Center which is in San Pedro rather then Long Beach. I would allow one hour to get there and I too would have a pickup at the hotel at 10:00 AM.

This will show you the port schedule for World Cruise Center where you will see your ship listed.

https://www.portsamerica.com/cruise/los-angeles-terminal-calendar.html

After you click on the link then scroll two times to get to February.

Keith

Princess sails out of San Pedro.

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are taking our first cruise from the west coast and I am curious about getting from LAX to the LB Port on a Saturday morning.

If we were to arrive in LAX from PHL (with, cross our fingers, no delays) at 12:30 p.m. what is the kind of traffic situation we would be running into to get to port? We’ve never flown into or have been in LA so I’m worried about timing but we are trying to avoid a Hotel the night before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Depends on all sorts of variables. Suffice to say that there are days/times when you could walk to Long Beach faster (not unlike trying to cross the Manhattan avenues in midtown).

BTW, hotels at LAX (or Long Beach) can be extremely reasonable pricewise.

We are on the Coral Princess in January and it is out of San Pedro.

I am with everybody else- fly in the day BEFORE!

We are flying in the day before and biting the bullet for a hotel-

it is peace of mind insurance!

Will take Super Shuttle or Execucar from LAX.

Happy Sailing!

We are on the Coral Princess in January and it is out of San Pedro.

I am with everybody else- fly in the day BEFORE!

We are flying in the day before and biting the bullet for a hotel-

it is peace of mind insurance!

Will take Super Shuttle or Execucar from LAX.

Happy Sailing!

Call execucar within 30 days of your planned pickup and ask about current discount codes (beyond the 5-10% you'll get with AAA or other associations).

Our family of 10 will be arriving at LAX at 0900 the morning of our carnival Cruise. Hoping to book a shuttle for 10 people unless there are other suggestions for getting from LAX to Long Beach cruise terminal? How early can we usually board the ship and is there anything worthwhile to do in Long Beach cruise terminal area for a few hours if we have to wait to board?

Our family of 10 will be arriving at LAX at 0900 the morning of our carnival Cruise. Hoping to book a shuttle for 10 people unless there are other suggestions for getting from LAX to Long Beach cruise terminal? How early can we usually board the ship and is there anything worthwhile to do in Long Beach cruise terminal area for a few hours if we have to wait to board?

Queen Mary is walkable from the terminal. Aquarium of the Pacific is about 2 miles away.

Check with the Queen Mary admission desk and ask if they still admit you without fees if you show them your Carnival boarding pass or proof you are booked on Carnival.

I would be very nervous about flying in the same day as a cruise. As others have said, so many things could happen, either from the east coast (weather conditions) or from here (if there's a major earthquake or a security scare, the airport will close...both have happened).

Tell your husband not to risk the beginning of your cruise just in case Murphy's Law comes into play. You'll be more relaxed if you're already in LA the morning of your cruise. And if you don't get to your ship on time, it'll be a pain to catch up (depending on which itinerary, especially).