Copenhagen after TransAtlantic

AlohaPride

How many days should my family plan to spend in Copenhagen before we return home after our cruise? Can you recommend a good hotel for a family of 6 (4 kids ages 11, 9, 8, and 3 at the time). Please also recommend some family friendly activities for us to do while there.

I don't have a good hotel recommendation, as I traveled only with my hubby when I went. However, we did spend three days there once as a pre-cruise and felt we could have easily spent more.

There are tons of family-friendly activities, but a lot depends on your children's interests. For example, you can visit the gardens at the Tivoli (your older children should be able to go on most of the rides), cruise the Nyhavn Canal, go up the Round Tower (Rundetarn), and visit the palaces. There are also some very large, lovely green spaces that they can run around in and all of you can enjoy a picnic (the King's Garden especially comes to mind). All of this is within the downtown, tourist core.

I don't have a good hotel recommendation, as I traveled only with my hubby when I went. However, we did spend three days there once as a pre-cruise and felt we could have easily spent more.

There are tons of family-friendly activities, but a lot depends on your children's interests. For example, you can visit the gardens at the Tivoli (your older children should be able to go on most of the rides), cruise the Nyhavn Canal, go up the Round Tower (Rundetarn), and visit the palaces. There are also some very large, lovely green spaces that they can run around in and all of you can enjoy a picnic (the King's Garden especially comes to mind). All of this is within the downtown, tourist core.

Thank you! Those are wonderful ideas!

We stayed at the Scandic Palace, which was across the square from Tivoli and at the end of the Stroget (the main pedestrian zone.) It had a great breakfast and very large rooms with AC.

I loved Copenhagen. There is an open air museum a short train ride out of town. I wanted to do that with our kids but did not have time. Definitely do Tivoli. We did the free walking tour the first day which was a great orientation to the city. You could easily fill up 3 days. Copenhagen is also very easy to get around and is flat as a pancake, so easy to walk for most. The 3 yo might have problems just tiring out, but Copenhagen was also one of the few places where there wasn't insane cobblestone streets. You might consider a lightweight stroller to make it easier on the littlest one. My kids were long out of a stroller by then, but for trips like that (or Disney) it made it so much easier on them and us to have someplace to ride.

We stayed at the Scandic Palace, which was across the square from Tivoli and at the end of the Stroget (the main pedestrian zone.) It had a great breakfast and very large rooms with AC.

I loved Copenhagen. There is an open air museum a short train ride out of town. I wanted to do that with our kids but did not have time. Definitely do Tivoli. We did the free walking tour the first day which was a great orientation to the city. You could easily fill up 3 days. Copenhagen is also very easy to get around and is flat as a pancake, so easy to walk for most. The 3 yo might have problems just tiring out, but Copenhagen was also one of the few places where there wasn't insane cobblestone streets. You might consider a lightweight stroller to make it easier on the littlest one. My kids were long out of a stroller by then, but for trips like that (or Disney) it made it so much easier on them and us to have someplace to ride.

I was looking at Scandic Palace! I'm so glad to hear a good review. I think my girls would flip out if we stayed in a "palace." (Even though we know it's not LOL)

Climb the spiral stairs of the Church of Our Savior

http://cphinfo.dk/en-gb/item/Our-Saviour-s-Church-and-Tower/10058

Have a look at the old hippie enclave of Freetown Christiania

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/denmark/articles/christiania-13-things-to-know-about-copenhagens-hippie-free-town/

Tivoli Hotel has some pakages that includes entrance to Tivoli and unlimited ride tickets.

Bakken is the worlds oldest amusement park located in the deer garden north pf Copenhagen.

Blue Planet aquarium is also worth a visit.

The Zoo of course.

Experimentarium is a science museum for the kids.

And lots and lots of other stuff.

Tivoli Hotel has some pakages that includes entrance to Tivoli and unlimited ride tickets.

Bakken is the worlds oldest amusement park located in the deer garden north pf Copenhagen.

Blue Planet aquarium is also worth a visit.

The Zoo of course.

Experimentarium is a science museum for the kids.

And lots and lots of other stuff.

I LOVE all those ideas!! The science museum is totally something our family (and my science minded girls) would LOVE. It's now a must on our list along with the aquarium!

Its also easy to find.

You can walk from Svanemøllen or Hellerup station or take bus 1A from the same stations and get off at Tuborg Boulevard..

From Svanemøllen its towards Hellerup or Klampenborg or towards Avedøre or Hvidovre Hospital from Hellerup.

https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Experimentarium/@55.7265534,12.5780863,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x46525287d6789269:0xb179e0a4e4425589!8m2!3d55.7265534!4d12.5791806

Copenhagen is family-friendly city with lots of things to do that will fit everyone. You may consider renting an apartment unit as hotel rooms can be quite expensive. We did, at an apartment right off the stroget. Very convenient and economical.

Copenhagen is family-friendly city with lots of things to do that will fit everyone. You may consider renting an apartment unit as hotel rooms can be quite expensive. We did, at an apartment right off the stroget. Very convenient and economical.

Great idea! Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

I would highly recommend looking into getting the Copenhagen Card. It gets you into so many different places and you can use all of the public transit for free. Copenhagen is a very easy city to get around in and has tons of different stuff for all ages. Christiansborg Palace is lovely and you can visit the Royal Kitchens and Stables and see the foundations of the previous incarnations (it's burned down a couple of times). Tivoli Gardens is fun for kids and adults alike. The Church of Our Savior is amazing, but be warned the stairs inside are quite steep and there are no places to stop and take a break. It's quite a cardio workout and hard on the knees, so it might not be a good choice for smaller children, but the views are incredible.

https://copenhagencard.com/